Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Piaggio NRG MC3 AC Tuning Advice....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Legacy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:53 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Piaggio NRG MC3 AC Tuning Advice.... Reply with quote

Hey all

im new here as you may of guessed, i need some advice on tuning my Piaggio NRG MC3 {Air Cooled} scooter

https://www.legacy2k.nildram.co.uk/stuff/nrgnew1.JPG

i want to put a 70cc kit into it and get myself a new exaust but im not sure which ones to go for?

exaust would be the

polini Funky: https://www.scootercenter.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=438&cPath=2_4_24_259_3453

or the For Race: https://www.scootercenter.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=434&cPath=2_4_24_259_3453

but im not sure of the bike would take the For Race exaust because it looks big, like somthing that should be used on 125's etc

heres the 70 kit i plan to get:https://www.scootercenter.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5503&cPath=2_4_24_259_3451

does anyone have any info that would assist me? because im not exactly an expert & realize that there will be other stuff needed besides just the 70 kit & exaust to keep it running reliably, also all my current choise's are based on what people tell me so im just looking for some reassurance that my choise's will not let me down

my parts will be bought from here: https://www.scootercenter.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=2_4_24_259 so if someone could possibly list on here what i would need to get its full potential

Also one more thing, once my bikes all tuned up would this be a possibility without blowing the engine? https://www.peugeotscootertuning.co.uk/en-us/dept_37.html because if so, im gunna have to get some of that hehehe

thanks in advance Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 04:33 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, but is it worth it?
How long do you plan to keep it? Will you be moving up to bigger bikes etc? How much money do you have to throw at a scooter?
Just asking, as it seems a lot of hassle for a scooter you may soon outgrow. Smile

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:05 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought spending a fortune modding up a 50c scooter was something only done by the dutch:

https://www.geocities.com/Scootz_arjan/specialehondawallaroos.html

Wink

seriously, its 50cc so no matter what you do to it, its not going much faster! Razz

just save up your cash, comute on it for now then buy something good when your 17 rather than wasting a fortune on something which will be unsellable after you done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Legacy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:24 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes many people have said this to me, fact is this is the only bike i plan to use until i go to a car, im gunna be using it for a good 3/4 years yet so an extra 10? mph goes a long way plus after that i can sell it for alot.

plus its fun to tune these things up Razz also just for the record iv seen my bike outpaace a Yamaha R1 up to 30mph when its tuned up so it does give it a little more mmmph but anyway could anyone help me with what i need etc?

thanks

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:41 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on www.taffspeed.co.uk .The piaggio engines are by far the best to tune. Looking at the dyno on the site you can get them up to 75mph, and thats on the dyno.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you have the air cooled NRG so there not as tuneable as the liquid cooled ones. However you can still make them pretty quick. The MHR Rep is a decent enought cylinder and would probably go nicely with a malossi pipe as they are fairly high revving cylinders.

Wouldn't bother with the SCCC NOS kit as they are overpiced and aren't that good. Wizards in Doncaster make better kits. Although its not really worth putting on on your scoot till you have spent loads tuning it as the extra power will kill all the standard parts.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:24 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
im gunna be using it for a good 3/4 years

Completely mad Rolling Eyes
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Legacy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

that site seems to tell me alot of confusing stuff lol nice one for puttin that forward though

is the polini funky not too great then? i was told its one of the best?

so the air cooled isnt as tunable? how much worse is it?

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:17 - 29 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the air cooled NRG's are still very tuneable, it's just the liquid cooled ones are better for it. But the guide i was looking at on taffspeed was for a piaggio zip kat which has the same engine as yours, so tuned up with a good setup you should see 70mph+ easy.

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:38 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Piaggio Zip 50 Sport Production, was bored one time and took engine casing off, saw weird washer and thought yes maybe thats the restrictor, so i took it out and touched nothing else, it now does 63, i then done it to a mates Nrg Mc3 same as yours, air and it does 58.

The first time i rode it i overheated, but after a few days of modest throttle it can now be thrashed 100% of the time. Mine is liquid cooled.

My friends NRG can be thrashed all the time and never overheated and his is air cooled.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:54 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan on the air cooled motors reduces power by 1HP (causes drag on the crank) compared to the liquid cooled models, and most liquid cooled peds have higher gearing which makes them a tad faster, but not that much difference.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:48 - 30 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this thread doing in my lovely workshop forum? Shouldn't it be kicked to new bikers by now?

Its a ped. Its shit. Keep it stock, and sell it as soon as you turn 17. If you can't afford a car then, get a cheap 125. Peds are for 16 year olds, at 17 you can sell the ped and use the money to buy and insure a cheap 125. Even the shittest 4 stroke 125 will do 65mph and happily keep up with most traffic.

djsammy01
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:30 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same scooter.
Its stock apart from the exhaust i got a day ago (Stainless Steel Scorpion Exhaust) it does 50 easily now.
i still havnt had it derestricted but then again im only 15.
Just to let you know i would recommend getting a good exhaust and a 70cc kit

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peds are fun to tune i agree, but it's a bit of a false investment as i have a friend who spent 700 buying the bike, which was a Gilera Runner 50 SP, spending 200 buying a leo vince pipe and new variator and in the end, he only managed to sell it for £750. My opinion is that if your a ped boi, then go ahead and spend the cash as some of the bikes do look cool and suits the current culture. But if you aspire to be a serious biker, then ditch the bitch at 17 like me and get a 125 and do your full license. Nothing can be simpler that that. Oh if you've got parents like me that try to persuade them onto 4 wheels, direct them to the path of the CBR 125 and they'll see things differently. It's a "sensible" first learner bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1