Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


SteamOS - will it power the Gabecube?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: SteamOS - will it power the Gabecube? Reply with quote

https://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Everything you love about Steam! On your TV! If you haven't already!

You want this, as games without Steam die.

EDIT: Valve story without a Gabe pic? I fail.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/sites/default/files/team%20fortress%202%20gabe%20newell.jpg
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question should be....

Can the gamecube run SteamOS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunix + WINE?

Presumably not just pure Lunix. No back catalogue, no switchy-switchy.

At free, I'll likely give it a try.

[UPDATE]
SteamOS wrote:
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!


Uh... say what? My "existing computer" (running Windows 7 for no other reason than Steam) is already plugged into my TV. I don't get it, if a "SteamOS" machine doesn't let me play my Windows games natively, why am I going to bother with another set of cables and controllers? Eh?

[UPDATE AGAIN]
OK, as far as developer are concerned, it's just a Lunix flavour, so stuff your Windows catalogue.

Why would I switch from one locked down walled garden (Mac or Windows) to another one (SteamOS)?

Well, interesting times, but despite the tardtubes shitting down their collective leg at the announcement, and the inevitable followup that Episode 3 will be a "SteamOS exclusive" (for about 5 minutes), I'm not seeing how it's going to build up... twirls moustache... a head of steam.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of having your main PC somewhere else, streaming to a Steambox (Gabecube) or other smaller, shuttle-style PC next to your TV is cool but isn't exactly new. If this makes it easier, great, I guess.

Not sure if I'd call Windows/OS X 'walled gardens', they certainly aren't in comparison to the likes of the Xbox.

What really messes things up is (pun not intended) patchy controller support for games. Borderlands 2, for example, natively supports controllers in OS X. Other stuff, though, requires a specific 3rd party driver be installed and if it's installed, prevents Borderlands 2 from working. I am still loving the LCPDFR mod for GTA 4 but there's numerous issues with controllers so I need access to a keyboard and mouse as well.

I'm sure Valve would love for there to be a standard for controllers (in a way, there is - the Xbox controller) but it seems a lot of devs don't think it's worth making their games work. When I said I might be happier playing Natural Selection 2 or RO2 with a controller I was just laughed at for being a 'console tard' by kb+m militants.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve clearly don't like Microsoft losing market share and starting to dictate restrictive rules. So now there are 3 options:

Linux + Steam on your own machine
or
SteamOS on your own machine
To appeal to the PC gamers

SteamOS on the gabecube, which will appeal to console users

seems like a smart move from valve to keep their options open. I just hope that linux gains from this as much as possible rather than getting made the scapegoat if everything goes to shit Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
Not sure if I'd call Windows/OS X 'walled gardens'

The conversation is about the direction we're going to take in the near future.

I'm looking at Windows 8 (and soon 8.1) which is desperately playing catch-up with the Mac App Store and Google Play by trying to tabletise the desktop, versus SteamOS which will have some very nice smelling flowers behind its wall but essentially is just an "app store".

I'm very much a grumpy old luddite in this respect, but I rather prefer my OSen to be shy and retiring, and to do what I tell them, rather than telling me what I can do.

Sorry, veering well off topic. Steady, got a bit Teffers there. Let's see what Valve's solution is to my desire to never boot a machine into Windows again, but not to lose my games catalogue.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

metalangel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The conversation is about the direction we're going to take in the near future.

I'm looking at Windows 8 (and soon 8.1) which is desperately playing catch-up with the Mac App Store and Google Play by trying to tabletise the desktop, versus SteamOS which will have some very nice smelling flowers behind its wall but essentially is just an "app store".

I'm very much a grumpy old luddite in this respect, but I rather prefer my OSen to be shy and retiring, and to do what I tell them, rather than telling me what I can do.

Sorry, veering well off topic. Steady, got a bit Teffers there. Let's see what Valve's solution is to my desire to never boot a machine into Windows again, but not to lose my games catalogue.


I understand now, and agree completely. Tablets are all but hopeless for doing work on, so this craze for stupid 'apps' is something (I hope) we'll all be laughing about in 5 or 10 years.

The only reason I have Windows at all is because of gaming. It's aggravating as hell when I want to play something and have to shut all my applications down and reboot into Windows, start everything up... then when I'm done and/or want to get stuff done again shut it all down and reboot back to OS X. VMWare isn't a solution for me.
____________________
Previous: 2002 Honda CB500 (sold), 2007 Suzuki SV650SK6 (crashed), 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (sold). Currently bikeless Sad
"A faired bike will get you 10x more clunge than a unfaired one." -Marlboro Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 27 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a good thing for Linux fans in the sense that a single standardised platform, produced specifically for gaming by the biggest player in the PC gaming world, will push hardware manufacturers to build in Linux support/drivers, which will in turn promote developers to include Linux support for their games. This has already started: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2049369/amd-nvidia-ramp-up-linux-driver-support-after-valves-steamos-announcement.html

Right now, it's probably going to be a bit of a gimmick, but the idea of a dedicated gaming OS for PC gamers does have appeal.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 62.45 Kb