Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Transit Motorcycles York - Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:51 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Transit Motorcycles York - Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! Reply with quote

A word of caution to anyone contemplating getting any mechanical work done, or even buying a bike from Transit Motorcycles in York.

Apology for Teflon-Mike style post, please bear with me, skip to bottom for TL;DR version...

Last year my daughter took her Vespa LX50 to TRansit Motorcycles in York because the rear brakes needed some work. Also the adjustment was seized. Given that Transit are the local Piaggio dealers and so IMO should be expected to be experts with these machines. They took it apart, told her a nut on the inside needed tightening and they put it back together. She took it elsewhere for MOT (her right, her choice, more convenient, etc.) and it passed.

Roll forward a year and MOT time again so looked at rear brakes again and needed adjustment (adjuster still seized btw). I could not get rear wheel off (see this thread).

Took bike to local(ish) mechanic who I trust doesn't make up bull and add extra costs/excuses. Over the 'phone he tells me rear wheel nut was on solid. Four guys and breaker bar with scaffold pole couldn't shift it. Drilled off and so might have damaged shaft (will try to make good). Needs new bolt and washer. Washer was missing! Also ordered new brake cable because of adjuster issue.

So I 'phoned Transit.
I explained the issue and asked what they were prepared to do about it. Thinking if shaft damage it's going cost me lots of money because of some numpty overenthusiastic with air ratchet and forgetful of fitting a washer. Guy on 'phone went away for a good while and then came back to phone. Conversation then went along the lines of...

Transit: I can't see how it can be too tight. It has to be on to align with hole for split pin*.
Me; Should there be a washer on there?
Transit: I think so.
Me: Well there wasn't.
Transit: So you've been told.
Me: I trust the guy telling me this. He has no reason to make it up.
Transit: Well if you'd brought the bike back to us we could have done something.
Me: Bike taken to somewhere closer and more convenient.
Transit: If you'd brought it back here we'd have looked at it.
Me: So you're washing your hands of it. Not going to do anything.
Transit: Basically, yes.

The guy on the phone did state it's been a year. So what? There has been no reason to check the bike since so apart from a fade in the rear brake (as you'd expect) no issues with rear wheel to investigate.

I was also asked what my job was. Totally irrelevant. I did lose it here a little and said supposing I'm a solicitor who could sue your ass off. The reply was "Then do your worst".

Guy on phone refused to give me his name. Refused to give me name of any owner/contact.

I'm not a happy bunny. Was I naive in expecting good customer service after a year?

TL;DR version: Transit Motorcycles in York messed up on a simple job of replacing rear wheel on Piaggio scooter (that they're dealers for) and are washing their hands of it. Doing nothing to make good. So I'd strongly recommend boycotting them as can't be trusted.

* this is partly true. There is a hole in the shaft for a split pin. You're supposed to put on the washer, then the nut and tighten. Then you put on a protective cover type thing and this held in place by split pin. Asin this thread (for ET4 but same as LX) and this illustration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:15 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH Had I been the garage I would have said exactly the same thing.

You accuse them of missing a washer and tightening a nut up too much a year after the fact?

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair a year down the road getting a phone call out of the blue telling them they screwed something up probably wouldn't go down too well at most places.

you have no proof it was them that did it, how do they know you haven't had it in another garage during that whole year?

just playing devil's advocate here but you'd be hard pressed to get anything out of them

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:34 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the consensus so far, it's been too long and it's also been to at least two other garages/mechanics. If you'd exclusively used them then I would expect them to fix it, and although I don't know them, they probably would.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
...it's also been to at least two other garages/mechanics...
NO. Don't know how you get that.
The guy fixing it is the same one who it went to for MOT last year.

Missing the point about it being a year. It's been that long to discover the fault. Supposing it hadn't been tightened up enough or otherwise incorrectly. Might be caused someone to die.

It's that point that I'm making. Cannot be trusted to do a job properly. So cannot be trusted to do a job safely. So really not worth the risk in giving them any more business.

As it is their mistake is going to end up costing me money. Lucky that's for bike bits and not flowers for a grave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry pal but I think the same!

I'd also love to know the length of this pole and how they got four blokes on it, or was it two to hold the bike down and two to hold the pole?

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit much IMO to ask for anything from them after a year.

But, they could of handled it better by offering to take the bike in to look at it.

I cant imagine it would be that difficult to take the rear wheel nut off mind. If it was done up with an impact gun, it can be undone by one. ( not that you should really be doing things up with Impact guns, air or battery powered.)

APT Motorcycles

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Transit: I can't see how it can be too tight. It has to be on to align with hole for split pin*.
Me; Should there be a washer on there?
Transit: I think so.
Me: Well there wasn't.

If this is the case and it does have to align with a hole for a split pin, then whether a washer is missing would surely make no difference??
The nut would have to be in the exact position to put a split pin through the nut and shaft.... or does it just go through the shaft?

I have to also agree with others. You have left it a year and then took it some where else, i'm not surprised you got the response you did.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
Sorry pal but I think the same!

I'd also love to know the length of this pole and how they got four blokes on it, or was it two to hold the bike down and two to hold the pole?

Pole could be referring to the nationality of the mechanic. Jus' sayin'.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:47 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree. For all they know some chav tried to steal it by removing the wheel or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:49 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
matto wrote:
...it's also been to at least two other garages/mechanics...
NO. Don't know how you get that.
The guy fixing it is the same one who it went to for MOT last year.

It doesn't read like that in your post, anyway how do you know that you weren't tightening it when trying to remove it?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
It's a bit much IMO to ask for anything from them after a year.

But, they could of handled it better by offering to take the bike in to look at it.

I cant imagine it would be that difficult to take the rear wheel nut off mind. If it was done up with an impact gun, it can be undone by one. ( not that you should really be doing things up with Impact guns, air or battery powered.)

Why? A year down the line I would have asked if he was taking the piss and then told him to fuck off.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kind of see why they'd refuse to do anything in the current position to be honest, as it is just 'a bloke from a year ago' saying 'take my word for it - it was missing it and you are to blame'. On that sort of basis they could get harrassed for so many things that aren't actually their fault, and they did say if you'd brought it back to them they'd of done something.

However it does sound like they did a total botch job, and also theres no guarantee they would of actually done anything had you brought it back, or even not tryed to charge you for a further botch, so it does indeed sound like somewhere to avoid if its all as you say Thumbs Down

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:54 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick 50 wrote:
... put a split pin through the nut and shaft.... or does it just go through the shaft?

Just the shaft. As I explained in first post. See this illustration (clicky link).

Nick 50 wrote:
...You have left it a year and then took it some where else, i'm not surprised you got the response you did.

So how long should I have left it? Given that I had no need to look at the wheel as everything appeared to be fine.

How long do people normally leave between removing the rear wheels on their bikes / scooters. Bearing in mind that exhaust needs to be removed so we're not talking quick job here.

Would you have expected me to get a bike back from a dealer of that bike after work carried out and start stripping it down to check that the work had been done properly? Would you? Get real. The time of a year is only the period for the shoddy work to be discovered.

matto wrote:
...anyway how do you know that you weren't tightening it when trying to remove it?
Rolling Eyes left to loosen, right to tighten.

-Matt- wrote:
...it does indeed sound like somewhere to avoid if its all as you say Thumbs Down

It is all that I say. I've checked. Twice.
Please avoid using Transit Motorcycles of York as IMO they cannot be trusted to do good, safe work.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Why? A year down the line I would have asked if he was taking the piss and then told him to fuck off.

Because then some enraged customer feels the need to post your company name in a bad way on a forum?

Although to be honest, it all depends on how the OP spoke during the phone conversation...

APT Motorcycles

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:05 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take away point isn't so much their attitude as that they stuffed it up in the first place. Fakking ped, innit, just nip it up tight then on to the next job.

It might be easier to come up with a list of main dealers who aren't lazy, incompetent bodgers, mind.

map wrote:
As it is their mistake is going to end up costing me money. Lucky that's for bike bits and not flowers for a grave.

I'd find it easier to think of the children if you'd provide pictures of her.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 19:06 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
...though to be honest, it all depends on how the OP spoke during the phone conversation...

I believe I was reasonable. Read first post.

I only made a questionable comment when Transit guy asked what job I did. At that point Transit had already made clear they would be doing nothing to sort the issue. The Transit reply to my comment does not speak highly of their customer service and what they think of customers.

Rogerborg wrote:
...I'd find it easier to think of the children if you'd provide pictures of her.

Very Happy Well she's a redhead. So that'd be a no then. Would not want your wife wondering why you needed to clean the sticky bits from your keyboard and screen. Wink

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Missing the point about it being a year. It's been that long to discover the fault. Supposing it hadn't been tightened up enough or otherwise incorrectly. Might be caused someone to die.

It's that point that I'm making. Cannot be trusted to do a job properly. So cannot be trusted to do a job safely.

So in that whole year NO ONE has looked at the part and checked it????

Never mind NOT TRUSTING the garage. What about someone taking responsibility ( LIKE RIDER Shocked ) and checking scooter on a regular basis.....

There are regular checks that should be made.. Pretty certain that checking the brakes is one of them as well as lubricating parts. Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:36 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Isn't the point of paying main dealer prices so that you can trust it's been done right? Thinking

Anyway, I'm now picturing map's daughter as looking like this.

https://i.imgur.com/E3Zzaz0.jpg

So this thread has been a win for me, anyway. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Rogerborg on 13:20 - 13 Jul 2017; edited 1 time in total

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
...Never mind NOT TRUSTING the garage. What about someone taking responsibility ( LIKE RIDER Shocked ) and checking scooter on a regular basis.....

If you read me posts I do say there was no need for concern apart from a little brake fade. Would expect this over time. That is why new shoes got.

Rear tyre checked for pressure and tread. Exhaust checked for rust and secure. Wheel nut behind exhaust and secured (incorrectly as it turns out) by Transit. What other checks in that area to do on a 50cc scooter?

For what reason would someone choose to take a working machine and remove the exhaust to check if a wheel had been correctly fitted by a dealer for that make of machine? How often do you do that iooi?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

https://rogerborg.dnsd.me/molly-quinn-redshirt.jpg

So close.
I think there is a picture me her when she was much younger in a Star Fleet uniform.
Alice-In-Sunderland This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kakana
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:52 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got a good mechanic now so make the most of them! or learn to do things yourself.

After a spate of bad mechanics I've taken to doing simple things by myself. That way at least I know it's been done & done right (hopefully)!

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
iooi wrote:

Isn't the point of paying main dealer prices so that you can trust it's been done right? Thinking

https://rogerborg.dnsd.me/molly-quinn-redshirt.jpg

How roger is REALLY imagining maps daughter........

https://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/286/a/4/monica_bound_and_gagged_by_ewtuning-d5hp50s.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 02 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think suggesting that the nut could have mysteriously tightened itself to the point of being immovable in just 1 year is disingenuous.

Someone DID over-tighten the nut and you can't seriously expect 99% of people to check things like this themselves on a regular basis. I mean, I've checked the chain tension on my bike three or four times this year, but I can't say it would ever occur to me to check that the wheel-nut was tightened to the correct torque. Does anyone here do that? Has anyone who isn't a motorcycle mechanic since 1960 ever done that?

It's possible that the nut seized during the course of the year but what are the odds? It doesn't sound likely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3