Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:45 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Help on 2000 Honda CBR600 F4

Ok i don't have tags yet...waiting for plate to come in. But sitting with the bike and firing it up i noticed something weird. I take the kick stand off.....start it up and wait for it to warm up. When it warmed up i was checking the gears. I understand its 1 down 5 up? Now when i push the clutch in and push 1 down i can feel the bike go into 1st gear. But then when i go 1 up....the bike goes back into neutral (neutral light comes on). But then i can also shift up again and the light goes off. Then i can shift up once more after that which would in theory be 3th gear. (being that i went 1 up, and it went back into neutral, then was able to go up twice more.). But where in gods name is 4,5,6th gear. Is there a safety feature? Do i have to be moving in first gear to shift up to second cause when i try to shift to second not moving it goes back to neutral.

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:20 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear pedal allways sets back down but you should still be in second, it goes back to it's starting position.
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 04:56 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im able to do first and second. I have the shift pedal down pretty good with shifting to first and skipping neutral by pushing the pedal up all the way instead of slightly to hit neutral again. Im able to also shift up again into third, but after that the pedal won't shift up anymore ( I was able to fully hear the gears shifting from 1,2,3rd. But after that the pedal was like stuck. From what i understand you should be able to fully go through all the gears, is there some kind of safety restriction for 4,5,6th? Like perhaps the bikes rpms need to be moving in 3rd gear to engage in fourth and so on?

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:05 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your just sat there without the engine running/bike moving and are simply pulling the clutch in and going up through the gears you may well find (as you are) that your not really going in to the gears correctly.

After every gear change you really need to let off the clutch so the gear engages and everything lines up again, then clutch in up gear, clutch out etc etc etc.

When you do change gear make sure its a positive action, don't be too gentle or you will find your going into false neutrals, as you where finding initially.

There is no safety restrictions, its just the fact your messing about without the bike moving and not letting everything sort itself out after a gear change.

All should be ok when your on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes dont like to block change up when parked, they dont mind block changing down to neutral, sometimes they kick up a fuss about going into 1st. the cogs in the gearbox chainge position as they turn. they are currently in one position which allows you to get to 3rd and no higher, to go any higher the positioning of the cogs would need to change slightly, which means turning the gear box either through the engine or back wheel.

if i were you i would just leave it alone untill you ride it, at which time all the gears will go in perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:59 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright now what about this. Turned the ignition to on and the bike wouldn't start. The lights dimmed and everything started fading. Waited 30 minutes, went to turn it on and now its a rapid ticking noise, no start. Then try again, and just clicks once. After I try again the lights begin to dim again until they completely go out. Whats wrong?

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 16:02 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat battery.

mudmucks
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:06 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably drained the battery farting about with it for so long.

Back to gears, if you really want to see the gears working, try jacking the back end up on a paddock stand. Then you can go through all the gears properly, letting the clutch out after each change.

Just don't drop it off the stand when you've got the wheel spinning nice and fast. Smile

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:27 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks alot for your help guys. How do i go about recharging the battery (dont have owners manual yet). I think i see the battery under the seat. As far as recharging, what can i use to recharge it and how many volts are these batteries?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:29 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

12v battery and yes, it's under the seat.

Either take it out and charge it with a suitable battery charger, or jump/bump start the bike and take it for a nice long ride to charge it up.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can turn the lights off along with anything else which might drain power and have another go at starting it. otherwise just connect up a charger for a while.

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:18 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the lights come on automatically. But i think the battery is so weak right now it wouldnt matter. But i cant get the seat off. The front of the seat snaps off both sides.....but the rest of the seat seems like its in there pretty good. How the hell do i get it off?

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:41 - 01 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be some kind of key hole which will release the seat. probably on the rear of it on the left hand side

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:43 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i got it....battery all charged up...bike fired up...thanks.

kubstix
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:35 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still dont have owners manual so what kind of gas do these take and what kind of oil?

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:59 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unleaded petrol and a good name brand of fully synthetic oil. semi-synthetic would probably be ok but for a couple of extra pounds thers no point.
good luck.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1