Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Noise Nuisance due to revving motorbike"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic : View next topic  

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:

that maybe fine for a machine with injected fuel system that is able to monitor it own temp and increase its air fuel mix accordingly to allow it to run when cold - carbed bike have little things called chokes. 15-30 on choke and you will get a very slow idle and extremely lumpy and hard to ride engine response, a minuite or so and the machine will be ready to ride, providing it a a oil or water cooled lump.

Only time I have had an issue with a carb'd engine is when the carbs or ignition have needed attention.

It's also not a choke.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 140 days between these two posts...

jamdunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:59 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="instigator"]I'd say be considerate.... get on the bike, start it up and ride away. Don't leave it idling away, 'warming up' like most retards do. Just a bit of consideration for others. And yes... this is regardless of whether your exhaust is legal or not. I've had diesel cars sitting outside my house before and they're irritating as fuck. Treat others the way you wish to be treated.

Absolutely in agreement with this sensible response. Came on this forum to assess general attitude to motorbike noise nuisance. Our neighbour's son 'warms up' his superbike, idling it for 3-5 minutes in the street daily, 7am. I wondered if this technically necessary. I appreciate it's a cheaper, fun, seasonal transport method, making his minimum wage workday more exciting.
Other, aggressive responses suggest use of high risk, high octane sport bikes are unsuitable for modern suburbs as us plebs are still all crammed together as it is. My partner has been pulled up for hand washing his car outside his home on the roadside, often, when he owned a property in a genteel suburb. Genteel people think you are bringing down the neighbourhood lol. Now majority not living in country hovels, but cramped suburban settings, class rears its head, don't you think? In the old days, behaviour was excluded by posh ppl paying constabulary forces to keep riff raff out. Now it's pricing that works. None of us would survive a second in rich countries with much stricter council bylaws than UK. Wonder what happens to social renegades there lol. Anyone on here experienced the wrath of German or Swiss bylaws, I'm curious. Anyway, being English, retired partner rages when awoken daily by white trash, I wear earplugs so I don't hear nuthin, including partner's door banging & nobody says anything to avoid war with neighbours lol.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:17 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamdunk wrote:
superbike

[citation needed]

jamdunk wrote:
idling it for 3-5 minutes in the street daily, 7am. I wondered if this technically necessary.

No, it's not. He's either thick, or deluded, or a sociopath, or a combination of all three. He can get on and ride away at low revs without doing any harm to the bike, but at some cost to his ego.

That reminds me, I need to order a baffle for my Enfield's rather caddish new exhaust. (Orders)

jamdunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:27 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Rogerborg, for your measured response lol.I make space for two wheelers on the road, always

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:41 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plot twist: the neighbours son is the sociopath we know as Arcane. Shocked

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I've heard that there are some bikes that do benefit from warming up, but the only one I'm specifically aware of is the Evo engined Harley. Apparently the bolts holding the heads and cylinders to the bottom end expand less than the engine case so full mating pressure on the gaskets isn't achieved until the engine has at least started to get warm. Even riding gently from cold is considered to be a bad idea.
Every other bike I've owned has been start and ride away per the user manual. Warming up just wastes fuel.

jamdunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:08 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jnw010"]Interestingly I've heard that there are some bikes that do benefit from warming up, but the only one I'm specifically aware of is the Evo engined Harley. Apparently the bolts holding the heads and cylinders to the bottom end expand less than the engine case so full mating pressure on the gaskets isn't achieved until the engine has at least started to get warm. Even riding gently from cold is considered to be a bad idea.
Every other bike I've owned has been start and ride away per the user manual. Warming up just wastes fuel.[/quote]

Hilarious, I just read this out to my other half & it put him to sleep immediately. Thank you, jnw010.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, my bike is a 'super bike' and it needs to be warmed up before I can ride it. 100% will stall while trying to pull away without showing about 45 degrees in the water temp gauge.

RGV.

Come at me, bruh.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:24 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you commute on your 2-smoke track bike at 7am every day?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:16 - 12 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've commuted on an RS250, leaving earlyish.

Road bike not track bike for mine - stock suspension definitely lacking on track and whole bike much more enjoyable on the road for me.

Separately, I did get a neighbour rather irate when revving a KR1S race/track bike. It was middle of a weekend afternoon - and on my driveway which was about 50 metres away from a 5 lane junction of the A4, so not really a quiet place.

He wasn't impressed that I kept blipping the throttle while he threatened to call the police, while I suggested he do just that. He also suggested I should take it to a garage; I responded that if he wished to cover the costs of a garage giving it a quick check over before I did a trackday, I'd be happy to accommodate that.
(Said bike would die if it wasn't blipped, because race bike etc.)

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:38 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveZZR wrote:
Found this on google

Sounds like nothing will ever come of it. Guess I'll just start it on the street and let the waste of my council tax money commence.
I know I don't have to start it on the street but it just removes any oportunity for them to have ANY valid evidence

forgot to say, it's a rented property so they could possibly try to raise it with the landlord if they knew that; is there a way they could find that out?

Either way, moving onto the road before I start it will nullify any action - as shown in the link, the police will just conclude it's a road bike with a legal exhaust.

Of course you do realise he has posted your address and made you a target for Byklaff scum by making it seem you have something worth stealing, which you do....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:18 - 13 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike is as loud as the bitching neighbours say it is then every byklaff within a couple of miles already knows about it. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5