Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Noise Nuisance due to revving motorbike"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 11 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't get the finality of the 'don't warm it up' brigade.

if i started my bike from cold and tried to ride off straight away, it wouldn't work! i've tried and the high revving of the auto choke makes things interesting clutch control wise and trying to accelerate is jerky and problematic at best.

i normally start her up, get my helmet + gloves on and then its fine.

certainly don't leave it for like 20mins but a minute or 2 is required at least.

(n.b. don't bother even doing that with the car, turn on and off i go.. only time i'd leave that idling is if i want the heater warm before i get in Very Happy)

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:53 - 11 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I warm it up but that mainly consists of starting it, putting my lid and gloves on then riding. The bike doesn't go well if I just start and ride off. It needs 20-30 seconds to feel right.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 13 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with allowing a bike to warm up fully before setting off, is that leaving a bike idleing will make it warm up much slower than riding it gently.

By allowing your bike to warm up before you ride it, you are maximising the amount of time that the engine is is running cold.

For me, bike on, lid on, gloves, ride away. I'd guess its running 20 seconds or so before I set off.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 14 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on this one. Using more throttle before the engine is warmed can mean that essential areas actually get less oil rather than more it seems. First a quote, then the full article. Makes interesting reading. (Actually refers to cars, and specifically, Ferrari).

Now you can see that the difference between the desired thickness your engine requires ( = 10 ) is closest to the 0W-30 oil at startup. It is still too thick for normal operation. But it does not have far to go before it warms up and thins to the correct viscosity. Remember that most engine wear occurs at startup when the oil is too thick to lubricate properly. It cannot flow and therefore cannot lubricate. Most of the thick oil at startup actually goes through the bypass valve back to the engine oil sump and not into your engine oil ways. This is especially true when you really step on that gas pedal. You really need more lubrication and you actually get less.

https://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 14 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not suggesting riding like a twat on a cold engine, rather riding at low revs for the 1st mile or so to warm things up more quickly that just idling.

I've got 1/2 a mile of 20 zone from my garage, which does the job perfectly

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 14 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, on balance that's probably the best way, and about what I do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:38 - 14 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
This is especially true when you really step on that gas pedal.

And if you see anyone advocating that, anywhere, ever, you should definitely take issue with it.

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:03 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the chihuahua wrote:
SteveZZR wrote:

Just need a stand for a temporary fuel tank so I can balance my carbs at the roadside Wink

Have you considered bungieing the normal tank to the rear subframe whilst balancing?

P.S. He sounds like a cocksucker.

Even so, I wouldnt want a blowjob from him.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

Saltire
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:33 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your bike is noisy as long as it has its legal can on it and the db's are what they should be they can't fine you.

NooBish-AbbZ
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 04 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a douche, and seeing as its a road legal exhaust and noone can do anything about it once it's off your property, go and aim the exhaust at his house, on the road and rev the **** out of it :p [/u]

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 06 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
mysterious_rider wrote:
I got someone scream at me as i warmed the bike up on the way to work. Just got to work, rang my mum and she went round the neighbors house and sorted it. Shocked Laughing

You don't need to warm the bike up.

Start button, into gear and go.

If it runs crap when cold then sort it out so it runs properly. It's not difficult.

that maybe fine for a machine with injected fuel system that is able to monitor it own temp and increase its air fuel mix accordingly to allow it to run when cold - carbed bike have little things called chokes. 15-30 on choke and you will get a very slow idle and extremely lumpy and hard to ride engine response, a minuite or so and the machine will be ready to ride, providing it a a oil or water cooled lump.

dont get me started on air cooled, you know the ones that over cool when being riden in cold weather and need choke while doing 60mph over the moorland pass and 16:30. i used to set the fuel misture rich to try and make it idle and run when in cold conditon on my GS5, still needed choke 12 miles into my 20 mile journy at well below zero temps

bikersupermot...
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:13 - 06 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my road bikes are 2 strokes and i warm them up gently before setting off - a minimum of 5 minutes of burbling on full choke, half choke

so its 2 stroke rattle together with clouds of sweet blue smoke when i set off!

he'd love me as his neighbour! maybe i should come visit for a weekend - and start my bike up at 7am sat and sun mornings! noise and smoke! Laughing

bike camping / touring
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:25 - 17 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing further from the council so obviously they sacked it off knowing from the example case I linked (and/or others like it) that it's got an MOT and once it's off the property it's not in their control.

Have ended up caging it to work at the moment having recently passed a car test and a baby due any time now I wanted some experience of caging before my first-born is sat in it; plus the 1.9TDi VW will do 40mpg on the 4 mile run to work compared to the ZZR's 30 (as it obviously doesn't warm up fully to get decent efficiency) but it's been months and I was still going off with the Micron-equipped bike until 20th December or so.

Roll on summer when my Light-less Daytime Only CG125 can come back out! Comedy machine is GO!

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 19 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's not bikes but rather tuned cars which idlings actually vibrates my stomach and make me a little bit sick sometimes. But I don't complain. I'm just not good at feeling the vibration.
I like engine note.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:53 - 22 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as he muttered "victim" you know he's an idiot.

Ignore.

With regards to the cold engine discussion, I've always ridden off straight away. Low revs for the first few miles. Never had any kind of issue, feels better on the engine rather than letting it sit there idling.

doombug11
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 03:07 - 22 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks to him, your far from taking the piss. I have some neighbours who used to use a small green next to their house to store their boats, some reason they went through a period where they enjoyed going out there and just revving the fuck out of the outboard engines. That was a little annoying, but my house is full of musicians playing drum kits and loud amps as well as housing workshops for the family business so plenty of banging and people coming and going Very Happy Can't say shit really, especially now I have several loud motorcycles I use regularly Cool

Recently my old/new next door neighbour (they rented the house one side of us then brought the house the other side! So he bloody well knew what he was buying into!) has been getting right uppetty about my bikes. First he requested I pull them onto the road to start, they all sit at the bottom of my drive between our houses, which is on quite a steep hill, CM is easy to push up, the VFR a pain and the Goldwing a proper workout, so I decided i would push them out from between the houses just not onto the road. Thanked me for this but recently has been throwing right little hissie fits, took the little old CM out to tesco, which needs warming in cold weather or it doesn't work! only about 10.30pm, pused it right out to the road, literally being as quite as possible letting it idle with just the right choke to stop it cutting out, after 30 seconds or so his curtains swung open and quite a cartoon image of a man on the edge of exploding screaming to himself appeared, I just shook my head at him Rolling Eyes Subsequent trips out on the bikes have not been so courteously initiated, making a point to get them nice and warm and then do a few little throttle checks before i pull off Twisted Evil Thing is he's a biker! And when he lived the other side used to do exactly the same thing and start his bike up between the house, as well as a lumpy old camper van he used to let run for 15 minutes everything week, never bothered me. The blokes anger issues are his problem I couldn't give a shit! Same with any one else who can't handle the sound of other's getting on with their lives!!!

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:14 - 22 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

doombug11 wrote:
Family business so plenty of banging and people coming. First he requested I pull them to start, they all sit at the bottom of my drive between our houses, which is on quite a steep hill, a proper workout. So I decided i would push them out from between the houses. Thanked me for this but recently has been throwing right little hissie fits. After 30 seconds or so his curtains swung open and quite a cartoon image of a man on the edge of exploding screaming to himself appeared, I just shook my head at him Rolling Eyes. Making a point to get them nice and warm and then do a few little throttle checks before i pull off (Wink). The blokes anger issues are his problem I couldn't give a shit! Same with any one else who can't handle the sound of other's getting on with their lives!!!

doombug11
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:43 - 22 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played sir Thumbs Up

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:21 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pattern is something like
Quote:
Gah, loud bikes remind me I no longer have one {because wife / because no money / because banned }. I must complain. If I cannot have fun than nobody else can.

Seriously though, 20 year old carbed, air cooled v-twin with manual enrichener here. I won't call it a choke because it's not. Starting her is pure voodoo and full enrichener will cause the engine to be so rich it won't start or run unless it's very cold. If she's too cold, the clutch won't release fully and on engaging first she jumps forward with a massive clunk from the transmission and then likely stalls. Cold throttle response is at best cough... cough.. gonna stall ... WHAM which is a great way to demonstrate the amount of grip the rear tyre has on a cold damp morning, extra fun when there's a sheen of pulverised and rotted leaf goo on the road. Not safe to ride for between 30 seconds and 5 minutes (cold morning and subzero overnight), and properly warm in a few more minutes of riding.

I challenge anyone to just start up and go on a bike like that.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

talktothehat wrote:
I think the pattern is something like
Quote:
Gah, loud bikes remind me I no longer have one {because wife / because no money / because banned }. I must complain. If I cannot have fun than nobody else can.

Seriously though, 20 year old carbed, air cooled v-twin with manual enrichener here. I won't call it a choke because it's not. Starting her is pure voodoo and full enrichener will cause the engine to be so rich it won't start or run unless it's very cold. If she's too cold, the clutch won't release fully and on engaging first she jumps forward with a massive clunk from the transmission and then likely stalls. Cold throttle response is at best cough... cough.. gonna stall ... WHAM which is a great way to demonstrate the amount of grip the rear tyre has on a cold damp morning, extra fun when there's a sheen of pulverised and rotted leaf goo on the road. Not safe to ride for between 30 seconds and 5 minutes (cold morning and subzero overnight), and properly warm in a few more minutes of riding.

I challenge anyone to just start up and go on a bike like that.

Sounds just like my ducati... But without the battery only being capable of 1or2 starts at best. When I stall there's a good chance that the bike will not start again without me running and pushing. I can either sit next to it for 5-10mins while it gets really warm or go and it'll be warm in 2. The rest is all about clutch control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:

that maybe fine for a machine with injected fuel system that is able to monitor it own temp and increase its air fuel mix accordingly to allow it to run when cold - carbed bike have little things called chokes. 15-30 on choke and you will get a very slow idle and extremely lumpy and hard to ride engine response, a minuite or so and the machine will be ready to ride, providing it a a oil or water cooled lump.

I've ridden more carbbed bikes than full injected.

Apply choke, start it. Ride off. Even if it's carbed you don't have to let it warm up either by idling, or with the wup, wup, wup, Moto GP technique.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:

I've ridden more carbbed bikes than full injected.

Apply choke, start it. Ride off. Even if it's carbed you don't have to let it warm up either by idling, or with the wup, wup, wup, Moto GP technique.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

talktothehat wrote:
Starting her is pure voodoo and full enrichener will cause the engine to be so rich it won't start or run unless it's very cold. If she's too cold, the clutch won't release fully and on engaging first she jumps forward with a massive clunk from the transmission and then likely stalls. Cold throttle response is at best cough... cough.. gonna stall ... WHAM which is a great way to demonstrate the amount of grip the rear tyre has on a cold damp morning, extra fun when there's a sheen of pulverised and rotted leaf goo on the road. Not safe to ride for between 30 seconds and 5 minutes (cold morning and subzero overnight), and properly warm in a few more minutes of riding.

If the bike struggles to start, has throttle response that poor and stalls when cold, and needs warming for 5 minutes, then you have issues on the bike, try maintaining your fuel and ignition systems to get rid of those issues.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by lihp on 10:44 - 23 Jan 2014; edited 1 time in total

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 23 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple post

Last edited by lihp on 10:48 - 23 Jan 2014; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5