Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Katan(g)a my friends

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Katan(g)a my friends Reply with quote

Some of you may have read about my quest to relive my youth and ride the VFR750 I wanted when I was 21, only to discover I don't fit on the damn thing!

So the hunt was on for something else; another XJ650 would've been nice, but I couldn't find a decent one, then the dealer selling the CBX750 I really fancied, didn't so much turn down the offer I made for it, as completely fail to acknowledge I'd even made it.

Then I saw this, stuck in some bids, but it failed to make reserve; a phone call later and the seller accepted my offer, so I was on the train to Coventry this morning.

https://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7249/1lxr.jpg

https://img707.imageshack.us/img707/263/a8jv.jpg

1983 Suzuki GS650GX Katana, lovely shaft drive, loads of history and an entirely believable 18K on the clock.

Best of all, I fit on it!

Front brakes are pretty awful, despite a recent caliper overhaul, so I'm reckoning a new hose kit is on the cards; also the scaffolding on the back looks totally out of place, so a more stylish luggage solution will be investigated.

All of which means, my VFR is up for grabs, so if anyone fancies it, let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice looking example! Watch out for dogs going in 2nd if used hard and cam problems if you don't keep the oil changed regular! Latter is not an issue if used with modern synthetic oil! Wink also had a shaft snap on mine!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 07:38 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Cool

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:23 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that, a lot Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:24 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that, a lot Thumbs Up

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy liked it so much he said it twice.

Its a lovely classic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Nice Cool

I was wondering if you might be along to say hello Wink

Do you fancy a nice rack for yours, it would look a lot better on a GT and I suspect the mounting points are the same?

@ Bladerunner

Funny you should mention the gearbox, first to second is a much longer throw than any of the other gears and, if you rush it and aren't really positive, there is a false neutral to be found.

Having said that, I had a couple of GS550s from new and they were the same, so I figured it might be a Suzuki quirk.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up I really like it too, but I'm not sure about the white wheels tbh. Wouldn't stop me wanting to own it though.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Re: Katan(g)a my friends Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Front brakes are pretty awful, despite a recent caliper overhaul, so I'm reckoning a new hose kit is on the cards

Front brakes on mine were bad as well. Fixed by fitting different pads. Unfortunately I can't remember what type sorted it. I think it was Sickpup who made the original suggestion? It had something to do with the disc material, possibly cast iron?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:55 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Do you fancy a nice rack for yours, it would look a lot better on a GT and I suspect the mounting points are the same?
If it's up for grabs, I'll happily take it off your hands. It's a better-looking rack than the one that I've already got.

Really means I've got to get off my arse and sort out the damn electrical failure on the GT, though Laughing

:edit: Regarding the pads - my GT has got Ferodos fitted - they're knocking on for 30 years old, but the braking's not too bad on it. That said, modern Ferodos seem to have taken a massive nosedive in terms of quality.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Thumbs Up I really like it too, but I'm not sure about the white wheels tbh. Wouldn't stop me wanting to own it though.

They came white from the factory, the difference is, these have been repainted and the polished rims and spoke edges weren't reinstated.

Gerry, you really do have to get yours sorted, if only because there's a danger that it's getting to the point where all the other work is going to start to come undone.

What's the hold up and can I help?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:19 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
What's the hold up and can I help?
In the main, it's laziness on my part. All it really needs is about two hours thrown at it, and it should be back on the road.
If you want to head over one evening this week to prod me with sticks to make sure I get it done, you're more than welcome to; I was originally meant to be going to Wales on it this weekend, which is still technically possible, I suppose.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 08 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earliest I can manage is Friday, which is probably cutting it a bit fine for the weekend.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 07:17 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't reckon I'm going to make it to wales. Sunday work for you? Make a day of it, grab a bit of food in the process?

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it turns out the rack is no good to either of you i will buy it from you. I have old 70's retro panniers but no way of mounting them. That may be ideal.

BTW, love the bike. I have the Katana 550 and the 650GT and a few other 550 GS's. Great bikes that will run forever.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:11 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
To be honest, I don't reckon I'm going to make it to wales. Sunday work for you? Make a day of it, grab a bit of food in the process?

Food you say Shifty Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:25 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Food you say Shifty Laughing
Paddy, You're more than welcome to join Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday works for me, but Paddy, leave your duct tape at home Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:08 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard the Corvette needs some wiring done, gaffer at the ready Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people think it's made of gaffer tape and wheelie bins.

Fecking philistines!

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:01 - 12 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaffer tape? It's American, it's made of duct tape.

Do we have enough of us to start a sub-group for 80s 650cc shaftie UJMs in London?

Looks like a BT45 on the front. Take it off and fit a nice pair of Avons.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 12 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's half way there, it's got a brand new Avon on the back Rolling Eyes

I like the idea of a sub group, but should we open it up to R65s and Guzzi V65s, for a bit of variety?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:27 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want the Avon and it happens to be a 120/90/18 AM26 I'll have it off you.

Not sure about letting Guzzis into the club, they stop a lot.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 19 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spec sheets says it should be a 130/90 17 I'm afraid.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1