Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Completley cluesless about bikes, which 125 to get...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

sikth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Completley cluesless about bikes, which 125 to get... Reply with quote

Hi guys. My car recently died on me (blown engine!), so i've decided to get myself a bike to thrash around in. Now i've been a car owner for several years, so I have no idea about bikes at all really Confused

I've got a grand to spend on a nice 125, but i'm really not too sure about what to get! Basically, its needs to be able to cruise down motorways nicely (so 70+ top speed is a minimum), needs to be within my price range and also needs to be nice and reliable (my now dead car was constantly breaking down, don't want that again!).

I was thinking about something like a Honda shadow (cruiser style), or an NSR (race style), but I'm a bit clueless really! Any advice on a good 125 to start out with?

Also, at what sort of age/mileage do bikes start to get unreliable at? If I want a bike that isn't gonna give me many problems, what sort of year/miles should i be shopping for?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?

if your under 21 you will need to do a CBT (£95) then you can ride a 125 up to 14.6bhp on L plates. 70+ and reliable is VERY hard to find in a 125, especially for your price range. i dont think 70+ will really be required as you are not allowed on the motorway on L plates. 2 strokes(nsr etc) are generally faster but less reliable. finding one you can buy and insure for under £1000 which is young enough to be reliable is a tall order.
4 Stroke bikes are more reliable, are often cheaper but are slower, you can expect a top speed of around 65mph when the thing is abosolutly flat out.
Reliability is more of a maintanence issue than an age issue. you could utterly destroy a bike from new in a year if you thrashed it hard enough, where as others keep going for decades due to being looked after. you will find most cheap sporting type bikes have had the nuts thrashed off them.

If your 21 or over i would recommend doing a DAS course and getting yourself a bigger bike. these are often more reliable and dont complain as much about the constant high speeds.

I would recommend getting an older bike as they are cheaper to insure, and you are more likely to be able to afford a good one on your budget, rather than buying a new bike which has been thrashed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sikth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm 22, I've done a CBT before (which ran out years ago), and was really going for a 125 because it would allow me to get on the road quickly. I'm completely without transport at the mo and am having to bus/train to work, which takes ages and is very expensive. I've been told there are plenty of 125's that are 70+ capable, such as the NSR, Shadow, RS125 etc., would these be bad choices for a 30 mile daily commute? Its actually dual carriageways which i'll be commuting along, are these legal with a cbt?

What does a DAS involve exactly? Would I still have to take the CBT+theory+full test? I am a bit dubious about taking a full test straight away as I'll have no riding experience, and will prob fail. Sorry for all the questions but I'm like a fish outta water here!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:49 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS is where you do a few days intensive training, and then your test.

Look into it. As you can already drive, all you have to do is master a different vehicle over a few days (you already have roadsense) and you'll come out at the other end with a full licence to ride whatever you like.

PS. Have a look in the FAQ forum up the top, there'll be some info in there about various things.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those who claim to reach high speeds on a 125 are either riding a derestricted machine, which requires a full licence, or are liers Razz

For a 30 mile commute you may want something a bit more of a tourer, which would require something a bit bigger than a 125, such as a 250/400.

As for a DAS they do the CBT, theory and lessons etc all in the space of a week then you do your test. so long as your not a retard you should pass.

I would recommend doing a DAS over CBT+ L plates + learner bike.
as you know yourself a CBT expires after 2 years, a full licence is forever (ish Razz)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:14 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Most of those who claim to reach high speeds on a 125 are either riding a derestricted machine, which requires a full licence, or are liers Razz

Or are going downhill, tailwind, crouched up as much as they can (which probably adds about 5mph)...and their speedo is wrong (adds an extra 5-10mph)...aparently I got my Sachs to 90mph today which I knew had to be wrong.

If you've got to get transport quick, see how long the wait for DAS is. Its better to get a larger bike if you're doing lots of travelling/commuting. Not only are they more comfortable and can handle the speed better but one of the main things for dual carriageways/motorways is acceleration. If your 125 is going 70, it won't have much more in it to overtake. Least, thats the problem i find.

Current wait on intensive DAS around my way is 3-4 months so I've got myself a bike that will do for the time being. DAS includes CBT the first day anyway so if you can get it quicker, go for that.

Good luck.

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:13 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: CBT-DAS-TEST Reply with quote

Dude, deffo go for the DAS if you can. I did my CBT 4 months ago, then theory and have just completed my DAS (test next Wed)... the 4 months of 125 were fine but I quickly got frustrated (London -> Birmingham once to see a friend and never again)... The bigger bikes on the DAS feel safer, more comfortable, and generally a whole lot more practical than my 125.

Current waiting list in London for DAS is 2 weeks and cost about £500 (I did 3 day for £380).

Since you have been a car driver (as I am and cyclist) you're half way there with road sense etc. so bite the bullet and do a 5 day DAS.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantzy wrote:

Or are going downhill, tailwind, crouched up as much as they can (which probably adds about 5mph)...and their speedo is wrong (adds an extra 5-10mph)...aparently I got my Sachs to 90mph today which I knew had to be wrong.

I'm not saying 125's wont do 70+, ive had mine well over 70 before now. but to be able to do 70 as a realistic cruising speed for 30 miles you would need to have a top speed over 90mph. I'm sure a 2 stroke wont apreciate being fired up first thing int he morning and redlined for 30 miles Razz

sikth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys Very Happy Forgot to mention that its actually 30 miles there + 30 miles back on the commute, with about 20 of those 30 miles being on the dual carriageway.

I've got a dilly of a decision in front me now Confused Going for the DAS and then a nice 250 sounds like the best option. But it means it'll cost me more, on the test itself and in travel fairs in the meantime. I'm gonna look into how long the waiting list is in my area, if its not too long I reckon I'll go for it. If its too long then I'll have to go for a 125 as I can't take public transport much longer Crying or Very sad

Just out of curiousity, what sort of 250 would be in my price range? Could I get an ok one for like £700ish? Which means it wouldn't cost me much extra to do the DAS Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 294 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1