Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

new government m1+m3 trial

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: new government m1+m3 trial Reply with quote

hi,

just seen on the news that the government are about to trial an idea that give fast lane use to vehicles carrying 2 people or more?

Now this will be happening on parts of the m1 and the m3.

ok ok i'm all for reducing congestion, but as a motorcyclist i find this offensive, because we are effectively loosing the right to use one lane of the motorway when bikes contribute to about 1% of national congestion.
And if any vehicle is caught on camera or by a police car using these trial lanes with only 1 person on board your looking at a £100 fine.

just plain rude
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes don't count in the scheme mate as we're already cutting down congestion. Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Re: new government m1+m3 trial Reply with quote

Also, the parobability is that they will use front facing cameras to ensure there are two people in the vehicles.

Thus they will not be able to get a bike's details, so it's unlikely they would try to stop bikes using it.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:34 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some countries wont let any car with less than 2 passengers in the city-centre between prime-times. That I think is a good idea and would cut congestion in half practically.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:34 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be interesting, but it had better be teamed with some education about sitting in the middle lane, otherwise I can see it all going very wrong.

If it's monitored by cameras, won't you get single car users in the outside lane, diving into the middle to pass the camera and then back out to lane 3?

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:46 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Plan for 'car-share fast lanes'

Special fast-track motorway lanes for car sharers are to be trialled to tackle congestion and pollution, the government is expected to announce.

The lanes, for the exclusive use of cars carrying two or more people, will only operate on a few motorway sections during morning rush-hours.

Drivers travelling alone who enter the lanes will face fines.

It is thought the first experimental routes to be introduced will take in parts of the M1 and M3.

If successful, the scheme could be introduced to congestion hot-spots around the country.

The plan follows Transport Secretary Alistair Darling's visit earlier this year to the US, where up to three million people a day use so-called "high-occupancy" lanes to commute into cities such as Los Angeles and Washington.

Critics

The first UK schemes are likely to be introduced where roads are already being widened, or the hard shoulder will be opened to create an extra lane.

The fast lanes of motorways would then be set aside for high-occupancy vehicles.

The fines for lone motorists, which could be up to £100, may be branded a new form of "stealth tax" by critics.

There is also likely to be concern for workers, such as nurses, whose shift patterns make car-sharing impractical.

Friends of the Earth spokesman Tony Bosworth told BBC News 24 it was important to encourage people to share cars.

"But we should not see this as an excuse for widening motorways which is going to make the problem worse rather than better."

He said the government should make the best of the space we have already got, because wider motorways would attract more traffic.

Friends of the Earth is also calling for car-sharing to be made easier for people, for example by employers helping to match workers who live in the same area.

Paul Watters of the AA Motoring Trust said the plans would only affect a few hundred miles of the worse affected roads, and would not be cutting into vast areas of green land.

"It's simply to expand the motorways we already have, so in that context it shouldn't be too much of an environmental issue," he said.

The first lanes are expected to include the southbound stretch of the M1 from junction 13 near Bedford to junction 7 near Hemel Hempstead, and the M3 north from junction 3 near Bagshot to the M25 turn-off at junction 2.

Meh, I say that's worth a shot actually. Something's got to be done somewhere to ease the congestion of getting to work so I'll be interested to see how it pans out.

I maintain, however, that a lot of congestion could be avoided by simply educating drivers better - the only reason there's congestion on a key part of my route to work is because people don't think ahead and get in the right lane for when it goes from 3 down to 2 - they all try and cram in at the last minute. Rolling Eyes

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:57 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another use for blow up dolls then! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:00 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To me it seems a mad idea. We have a pathetic motorway network by European standards, and unlike the rest of Europe we are not building any new ones (France has around 2.5 times the length of motorways and is currently building that up to 4 times our length of motorways).

The last thing we need is to loose 1/3 of the lanes in the busiest sections. However the really dangerous idea they seem to have is to close the hard shoulder and use that as an extra lane. This will lead to extra deaths (they are putting lay byes on the M42 for people to take refuge in, as though anybody is going to manage to coast half a mile when the cam belt snaps on their car).

The mess of the road network is the governments fault for failing (for the last decade) to plan to provide the network that they know will be required.

All the best

Keith

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that the high occupancy lane would be available to motorcyclists like the bus lane on the M4.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:02 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally. A valid excuse to buy that blow up doll.

Key Walshe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the passenger is bending down, no no no not in the sense of Surprised *gobble-gobble* but to pick something up from the foot-well of the car and the camera's can't see them? It would be quite hard to prove there was actually someone in the passenger seat I'd presume if that were to happen...

As I rarely use a motorway, infact, hardly ever, then I can't really give an opinion of how effective they could be, but as there is always stories & articles about traffic jams on motorways then something has to be done to try and solve it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 238 days between these two posts...

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:29 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i honestly can't see how limiting the fast lane on those motorways for use by vehicles with 2+ people aboard is going to help? isn't it just going to increase congestion in the remaining 2 lanes, i mean how many people travel to work with someone else? and the addition of more cameras just screams scam to me.

also using the hard shoulders as an extra lane is really supid and dangerous. they are provided in the first place for use by emergency vehicles so they can get to the site of an accident/breakdown as fast as possible. Thumbs Down

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: new government m1+m3 trial Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
hi,

just seen on the news that the government are about to trial an idea that give fast lane use to vehicles carrying 2 people or more?

These is no such thing as a fast lane. The limit is the same in all 3 lanes. Wink Thumbs Up

You dont drive a BMW do you? Laughing

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:04 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am considering illegal means of travelling now, this is dog shit.

My view all these money making schemes are as follows.

The left hand lane, in the high way code, is said to be the lane you travel in at the speed limit, all other lanes are for over taking.
But we all know that the motorway has unwritten rules, where by we have evolved to adapt and if you learn quick enough you flow through traffic, I feel that when you are travelling at this speed you need the help of other road users.
Now forget the twats on the roads, the average commuter/traveller has learnt that something’s just have to be that way in order to survive.
You step out of your door, your car has to have several forms of verification from governing bodies to allow you to even fuc*ing turn the key, next you have the safety aspects of driving which also involve heavy fines, your on the road thinking about traffic calming measures and finally the un-taught event of the motorway.

It’s hard enough avoiding hitting other cars without you having to think about un-marked police, automated camera’s clocking speed, and now this 2 person rule which I imagine will be monitored on some new CCTV installed.
WTF? I mean, some situations on the road mean you have to take an action, and as we all know, its one rule for them and another for us.

The lanes, for the exclusive use of cars carrying two or more people, will only operate on a few motorway sections during morning rush-hours.

Thinking about too much whilst driving can kill, setting times when to think about it seems stupid.
Any monkey could see people in large cities i.e. London using the bus routes, but they aren’t monkeys that’s a nice sum of money coming in, on the motorway where business men are rushing to get places they will inevitably undertake to get from A-B, motorists not used to this type of driving will find this confusing and accident are likely to happen.

Maybe more speed cameras would solve this? Laughing Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:51 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuckin great news! That means there's another lane to split! Twisted Evil

snuff2005
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:30 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasnt the point of the motorways being built in the 1st place to move traffic off the over crowded single lane A roads?

by putting yet more cameras and fines on the motorway the government will just be pushing ppl back onto the a roads were there are less fines to be had. which will in turn put us back to square one and leave the government to rethink its plan of action and stop acting like dicks?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:40 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone noticed the original post date?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 20:43 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman seem's to have a habit of dragging old threads up, maybe down to the redesign of the forum? I've noticed more and more old topics being bumped.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Alot of the time it's by people who have joined up that day, but more and more are being dragged up by people who have been here a short while. It must be down to the redesign - in this forum alone, the bottom 6 threads on page 1 are from 2004.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
Some countries wont let any car with less than 2 passengers in the city-centre between prime-times. That I think is a good idea and would cut congestion in half practically.

Agreed.

Why cant our government do something like this, rather than just charge us for being able to drive in town.

Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:39 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has to be done:

https://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/old_thread.jpg

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 16:22 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Killa127/neverwalk.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:05 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/bunnypancake.jpg

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://home.nc.rr.com/inbedwithhomer/STFU%20vader.gif

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10997/Copy%20of%20when%2520nascar%2520moms%2520attack.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2