Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

kid wants bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: kid wants bike Reply with quote

Hi, im 16 but when im 17/18 ill be wanting a bike. it has to be a 125 or smaller for a learner i think Confused and i like the look and what i've heard about the honda varadero 125. it seems a bit pricey but all the other 125s youd have to screw the balls off just to keep up with motor way traffic, most ive found will only do 65ish. so i want a bike which i can pick up second hand for about 1000 to 1700 with less than 5000 miles on the clock, good run about with kool looks (tourers similar to the super fly and varadero) keep up with motor way traffic, not a 2 stroke!!!
can you guys give us some options?
thanx adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 16:06 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any particular reason you don't want a two stroke?

What style of bike are you looking for?

Don't forget you won't be allowed on the motorway until you pass your test.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do alot of workin with boats and find 4 strokes nearly never break down. 4 strokes are quieter and need less maintanace. the only bikes i can find are racing bike look alikes, scramblers, weird fat rear tyre bikes (tw125). the only bike i found which i like is the varadero but is there anything else out there which is similar? id have a 125 for a year or two then move up to somthing bigger so it needs to tackle motor ways, not 100s of miles on the motor way maybe less than 10 miles a week by motor way.
sorry if im hard to understand its just im a complete newby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks, reliability and speed is a tall order for any bike, but for something little its too tall an order, so you have to sacrifice something, you just need to decide which.

Personnally i went for speed and reliability with an aging CB125 (4 stroke twin so plenty of torque to pull higher gearing) after putting a smaller rear sprocket on it (37 rather than the standard 42) it would pull 70 till the cows came home with very low revs.

as a general rule if reliability is a concern, or you will be using the bike throughout the winter, steer away from 2 strokes..

All you need to do is find a 4 stroke with a tidy appearance, a strong engine then just get what you can out of it. if it will only do 60, then try changing the gearing, if that doesnt work then you will just had to ride it at 60 till you can get something bigger.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, and if you find you wouldn't mind going for a 2T then i have a bike for sale at the moment. Reliable, Fast and looks good too!

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you change the rear sprocket on nearly any bike? ill have about £2300 when i'm 18 but i don't want to spend it all on a bike. whats the honda super fly like?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean city fly?
basically a CG that looks like a dirt bike Razz

yes sprockets can be changed on all bikes, however some cant oull higher ratios. i only changed mine as it would pull 20 in 5th NP then max out in top gear waaay before the engine power was insufficient, due to gearing which was too short. now its slightly too long but it make distance riding alot more bareable

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:37 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame you can't get more money then you could buy the mz sm125 I had one and they aint to bad. bullet proof engine sticky 17 inch tyres and its a supermoto so if you bin it you just pick it up and carry on Laughing

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you help me pay off some of it i'll get one Very Happy
all i like at the moment is the varadero, what do you guys think of this bike?

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes i've also read a review which says the bike will pull from 15 in top gear and is under geared Confused guess that would mean something to you guys in the know Smile

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:51 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a loan I will lend you £2000 but interest will be £5000 is that ok Laughing Laughing

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

a varadero brand new is £2500!!! ill give it a miss i'm afraid

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:56 - 04 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.aamotorcycles.co.uk/Mz/Mz_Page.htm
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:47 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommend you don't get a varedero, even a 2nd hand one. it is 45kg heavier than my gs125 (03 plate) and only makes 3bhp more. i don't see the point of wasting your money. how about a gs125? Laughing it does 70mph, 120mpg, and is dirt cheap for a second hand one! cg125 is good as well, just slower and duller. even if 2 strokes are faster and actually enjoyable, it doesn't beat the reliability of 4 strokes. you just ride them and that is that. no worries
go 4 stroke man, i recommend it. Thumbs Up

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want speed, well just enough to keep up with motorway traffic. the varadero has the looks of a big bike and doesnt need to be going fast to look good like the nsr which looks wrong at anything below 50 Razz . the honda city fly looks ok but the rest of the 125s i ain't to keen on.
also the varadero will do 75ish

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 14:08 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest you will have to do you're test to be able to go on motorways anyway, personally I would just get a bigger bike a 125 on the motorway is not appealing to me.

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i'm not made of money Razz . for my second bike i want something 650ish in size (aprilia pegaso is one i like) i don't think I'd be able to afford a 125 then insure it and tax it do my test then sell it and get another and tax and insure that. I'd still be in collage so theres no real way i could get a well payed job to support all that.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 14:25 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get a 125 then most 125 cruisers as far as I know about them dont do over 65 ish.

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cruiser??? i want a tourer, the aprilia caponord is a nice tourer and that will do 130 odd mph and the varadero 125 is a good looking bike plus learner legal.

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: bigger bike Reply with quote

buy cheap 125
do test
sell cheap 125
buy cheap 500

easy... honestly, you will not want to remain on a 125 once you pass your test and you will deffo not want to be on the motorway on a 125, dual carriageways are bad enough!

the only additional cash will be to bump up your insurance for the 500 so save a few hundred quid from the cost of the bike for this.

you know it makes sense!

(I say this all cause I said I'd ride a 125 for a year or two and am now in the process of upgrading after 4 months cause it's too damn painful doing anything other than a 4 mile inner city commute on my 4 stroke 125)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So buy something like a hongdou then sell it after my test, i wont be needing insurance will i because the school of motoring would be paying that out of the money i pay them (i guess its the same as learning to drive in a car right?) and then whats a good cheap 500cc bike? as you can tell i like to know what i'm doing ahead of when i actually do it!

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:59 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: GS 500 Reply with quote

for example:

https://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/BIKES_popup.asp?nU=0&make=SUZUKI&model=GS&ccappr=500&min_pr=75&postcode=N5%202NR&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&start=7&distance=10&adcategory=BIKE&channel=BIKES&id=200426149466324

GS500, good sound bike and there are loads of them around so tend to be reasonably priced...

StuntmanAd
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, but... rather something tourer looker alike. i like bmw bikes. are they to expensive?

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:33 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a naked nsr. you can put some wide comphy bars on. it is probably faster than most cars apart from slight lack of top speed on a newer car so will be ok on the motorway and they are not too unreliable, and 2 strokes are only loud and sound shit with racing exhuats on(little ped boy racers). 125 2 stokes sound awsome!!!!!! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2