Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to not buy a stolen bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nathan k
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check frame number for signs of being tampered with. Make sure there isn't a fake plate welded over the top and that they are clear and easy to read.

Buy at home address, if the seller seems a bit dodgy it probably is.

I don't think you can HPI check an offroad bike? I might be wrong. Might be able to call Yamaha/Honda etc and ask them to check the frame number.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 18 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with main dealer, and also check the https://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/buying-selling-a-motorcross-bike-on-ebay-/10000000000787321/g.html

Could be useful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 135 days between these two posts...

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having got burnt whilst buying a used quad, I've started to do some research on trying to do some research on doing checks on a used off-road bike before purchase.

From what I can tell there isn't such a thing a HPi type check for off-road bikes? So apart doing visual checks on the bikes (to ensure that the serial numbers are on the quad) how on earth does a potential buyer ensure that the quad isn't nicked, a 'write off', have finance outstanding etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:38 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:
Having got burnt whilst buying a used quad, I've started to do some research on trying to do some research on doing checks on a used off-road bike before purchase.

From what I can tell there isn't such a thing a HPi type check for off-road bikes? So apart doing visual checks on the bikes (to ensure that the serial numbers are on the quad) how on earth does a potential buyer ensure that the quad isn't nicked, a 'write off', have finance outstanding etc?

If I was worried, I would either walk away or ask to see/photograph some photo ID of the seller - and them as well. If they don't like that idea then they are probably up to no good

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
gwernybwch wrote:

If I was worried, I would either walk away or ask to see/photograph some photo ID of the seller - and them as well. If they don't like that idea then they are probably up to no good

Thanks for the reply.
Totally agree with walking away if you are not 100% satisfied.
Your suggestion regarding ID isn't one that I have read about before Smile
Although there are circumstances where the seller themselves aren't aware that the bike they are selling has a 'history'. I've just sold a greenlaner which was stored away from where I lived. So in those circumstances my drivers licence would have a different address to where the bike was stored!

Doesn't sound like there is a simple solution to this at all Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to motocross, did it for a long time and always purchased bikes a couple of years old, due to the price being a lot cheaper than the new ones. This is because racers will change bikes regularly to make sure they have the current model.

If the seller didn't have the paperwork from the sale, I'd be off, no matter how nice and cheap the bike was. You'd not want to turn up at a track on a stolen bike, the circles are pretty small.

A genuine seller will almost certainly have some verifiable paperwork, if he has none, it's not worth the shitstorm you could potentially get yourself into.

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Pjay I take your point about off-road racing bikes (didn't they used to also take the frame numbers at scrutineering?), but I was more focusing on a 'farm quad'.
Allot of farm quads have never been registered with the DVLA and the trouble is farmers are notoriously bad with keeping 'paperwork' Sad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:
Allot of farm quads have never been registered with the DVLA and the trouble is farmers are notoriously bad with keeping 'paperwork' Sad

But also, farmers usually hang onto machinery and keep it working cos they need it, so I'd be wondering why they are selling it. Broken, very broken, totally broken, or no spares available?

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@thx1138 I'm not sure that is true with allot of farmers nowadays. You have to just go the annual sheep sales to see all the new Isuzu, Hi-lux's etc. A good, reliable 4x4 and quad are almost critical to the running of a hill farm these days.

I'm not particularly put-off by bikes that need work doing on them, just want to make sure that they aren't nicked!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1