Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brand new bike full of rust from Victor Devine Glasgow :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53
View previous topic : View next topic  

djrikki
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:21 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might explain it. Still in no way decided exactly what way Im going with it all, still making school boy errors on the 125 so need to up my game a bit get the DAS then look at whats available. Learned how heavy the bike is yesterday when I caught it from underneath and 1 inch off the deck after the front end slid on mud. Looks like going to the gym for the last year finally paid off Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/uQ0MhhR.jpg

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bear in mind DAS relates to direct access, which is taking your test on a big bike, to get an unrestricted licence.

It does NOT mean a week course in order to do the test.

Most people would probably find they become better riders and find the test easier if they have one or two lessons a week, spread over a few months. Can absorb the learning better, plus on your own bike you can practice what you learn. Less pressure when it comes to the tests as well, try and squeeze it into a week and fail Mod 1 then that screws everything up.

Also saves you forking out however many thousands it is now for a "DAS course" at the local sausage factory riding school.

Look into your local riding schools and see what they do, call them up to discuss what you wanna do etc.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...the CBR650F is replacing the 600F. Im getting one next month.....although I have 'reserved' one the dealer doesnt have an exact date yet, but have confirmed they are getting 2 on release date and one is mine!!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:10 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:
Just bear in mind DAS relates to direct access, which is taking your test on a big bike, to get an unrestricted licence.

You could pass the A1 tests on your CBR. Treat that as cheap practice (£90.50 on top of the theory that you'll need anyway) and then you'll know that you can do it.

Then buy your deam A bike, insure it through Bikesure (or others) on you provisionaL, find a way to get in some private road practice, get it to the test centre, slap on L plates and pass exactly the same tests again on a more capable bike.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ben-B wrote:

You could pass the A1 tests on your CBR. Treat that as cheap practice (£90.50 on top of the theory that you'll need anyway) and then you'll know that you can do it.

Then buy your deam A bike, insure it through Bikesure (or others) on you provisionaL, find a way to get in some private road practice, get it to the test centre, slap on L plates and pass exactly the same tests again on a more capable bike.

Why would he need to pass the A1 test?

Couldn't he could insure an 'A' bike on a provisional w/ CBT? Since you can't ride it on the road without instructor or examiner supervision anyway (unless you have a full or restricted licence), why would he need the A1 on his licence?

If you do Direct Access you only need do CBT before taking the test, so surely you already have a full A category provisional if you're 24 or over, (or 2 years after passing A2 test).

Confused, please clarify, or correct me.

djrikki
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:

Most people would probably find they become better riders and find the test easier if they have one or two lessons a week, spread over a few months. Can absorb the learning better, plus on your own bike you can practice what you learn. Less pressure when it comes to the tests as well, try and squeeze it into a week and fail Mod 1 then that screws everything up.

Also saves you forking out however many thousands it is now for a "DAS course" at the local sausage factory riding school.

Look into your local riding schools and see what they do, call them up to discuss what you wanna do etc.

Thats a great idea actually. I'll speak to the local guys I did the CBT with and see what they can put together for me. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:12 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben-B wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Why would he need to pass the A1 test?

Sorry, that was unclear.

There's no need; I suggest it purely as a way to practice the test without the hassle of trailer / van / pillioning an A bike around, and to get past any nerves - although I doubt that'll be much of a problem. Wink

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sorry, that was unclear.

There's no need; I suggest it purely as a way to practice the test without the hassle of trailer / van / pillioning an A bike around, and to get past any nerves - although I doubt that'll be much of a problem. Wink

Ah I see. Could do, I suppose it's not that expensive for both tests, probably cheaper than 2 days riding with an instructor to do "mock" tests.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 203 days between these two posts...

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

still going then

someone else is considering buying from him

Symcity wrote:
Aye reckon I'll stick with what I've got - thankfully I didn't rush in at the showroom - it's onsale at Victor Devine Glasgow

I wrote

in that case keep well clear

victor devine is well dodgy you have had a near miss there

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic ... highlight=

pointed him here

also got this from person who was buying the scooter

To be honest I think you are being a tad harsh on the dealership - ok the bloke with the 125 had a few grievances however he was buying a relatively budget bike with a poor reputation from being built in the Far East - Victor Devine has been trading for longer than I wish to remember so he must be doing something right - with regard to my intended purchase the salesperson was candid about the scooters history and personally I would have no qualms about going ahead with the sale - folks on the forum have given me food for thought however I genuinely feel that the actual scooter is kosher - crazy Scotsman wasting money - perhaps pikey is correct - I'm going to try to negotiate a better deal - watch this space Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thosoneill
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:52 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
still going then
someone else is considering buying from him
Symcity wrote:
Aye reckon I'll stick with what I've got - thankfully I didn't rush in at the showroom - it's onsale at Victor Devine Glasgow
I wrote
in that case keep well clear
victor devine is well dodgy you have had a near miss there
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic ... highlight= pointed him here
also got this from person who was buying the scooter
To be honest I think you are being a tad harsh on the dealership - ok the bloke with the 125 had a few grievances however he was buying a relatively budget bike with a poor reputation from being built in the Far East - Victor Devine has been trading for longer than I wish to remember so he must be doing something right - with regard to my intended purchase the salesperson was candid about the scooters history and personally I would have no qualms about going ahead with the sale - folks on the forum have given me food for thought however I genuinely feel that the actual scooter is kosher - crazy Scotsman wasting money - perhaps pikey is correct - I'm going to try to negotiate a better deal - watch this space Wink

Transpired Victor would not increase my trade in offer - salesman was candid with me - I thought matters over and decided not to purchase the scooter on sale
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 6 days between these two posts...

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:48 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast from the past

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104082

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Sydney Devine got into selling motorcycles. Good job because his singing used to screech in my ears when my parents were belting it out..

A bit of surface rust that will mostly clean off. Did you not see these when you viewed the bike. Dealers are no better than the man that lovingly cares for his bike down the road. They charge more because they have to to survive. Private purchase for the win. In my minuscule head.

See Scotlands under 21's won 2 V 0 against some unknown country to the western whiteman who sees Eastern Europe as one big furnace of rebellion waiting to explode. And as for the pope...don't get me started on that ridiculous place in society.

I hate everything.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread resurrection interested me sufficiently to have a read of the original thread (slow day at work, what can I say). I got 15 screens in before giving up, but am quite intrigued to know the outcome - can any BCF oldtimer tell me if the OP ever did manage to get his full refund off Victor Devine?

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 11 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
This thread resurrection interested me sufficiently to have a read of the original thread (slow day at work, what can I say). I got 15 screens in before giving up, but am quite intrigued to know the outcome - can any BCF oldtimer tell me if the OP ever did manage to get his full refund off Victor Devine?

He got a brand new cbr 125 from honda (not victor devine) think he picked it up from a honda dealer in falkirk if memory serves.
Im sure i remember OP giving money to charity?

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 08:34 - 15 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting because I've seen this on cars. Among doing other things for a living (I try to keep as many fingers in as many pies as possible) I install taximeters and I've had a number of brand new cars come to me. Where you have to remove the glovebox on some models or take half the dashboard apart to get to certain wiring you need access to. Anyway I dunno what you call the part but it's like part of the structure of the car like a big metal crossmember behind the dashboard running the width of the vehicle presumably to support the whole dashboard... once you start taking panels off etc even on some brand new cars you can see these are untreated mild steel and rusty already on brand new cars. Mainly the French stuff and I'm sorry to say I've noticed it on some Fords too. I've known drivers to take them back to the main dealers complaining only to be told that's normal it's only where the materials are stored outside prior to assembly at the factory and not considered a defect as it's makes no cosmetic difference as you wouldn't ordinarily be able to see it.

Seems wrong to me. You buy a brand spanking new vehicle you don't expect there to be ANY rust on or in it. Especially the inside of a car!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53
Page 53 of 53