Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

national charity ride from John 'O' Groats to Lands End

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:11 - 17 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, they've gone silent on Facebook. Razz

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:27 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I did come on here to try to raise some cash for worthwhile charities, have a laugh doing it, and make some friends and memories. if this is representative of the groups collective opinion I think I won't even invite anyone to sponsor me to sit in a bath of baked beans for charity. not to worry. I asked for constructive advice and got jokes and mockery, so we'll go on the ride and I may send you some pics of how much we did and raised. at least this is one less forum to check.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
well I did come on here to try to raise some cash for worthwhile charities, have a laugh doing it, and make some friends and memories. if this is representative of the groups collective opinion I think I won't even invite anyone to sponsor me to sit in a bath of baked beans for charity. not to worry. I asked for constructive advice and got jokes and mockery, so we'll go on the ride and I may send you some pics of how much we did and raised. at least this is one less forum to check.

Does that include all you spend on fuel and everything else you could have donated to fucking charity? Rolling Eyes

If you spend 1K on fuel and raise £900, you've lost £100. You may as well donate £900 to charity and stay warm and comfortable.

Charity is only worth doing if it actually RAISES money, not LOSES money.

Not only that, inviting people to do it on 50cc scooters and superbikes is a monumentally fucking RIDICULOUS idea. One or the other.

Not both.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:16 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
well I did come on here to try to raise some cash for worthwhile charities, ....... flouncy flouncy flounce-flounce........ at least this is one less forum to check.

FTFY Thumbs Up

Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:34 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
well I did come on here to try to raise some cash for worthwhile charities

Help For Heroes? Eh?

You won't even cover the lunch expenses for their board of directors. Literally.

You wrote:
when we get to 100 likes, and 30 going we'll post the polls for charity(s), days ride, route and date.

I'll re-iterate some constructive advice: that's the wrong way round. Ask less, declare more. Folk tail on to these things if you appear confident that they'll go ahead and give firm dates so that they can plan early.
mongman This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:26 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
nice support guys. biker unity. no wonder we can't use bus lanes

I know - it's disgusting.
Here we are trying to put a unified front as bikers to show that we as a group aren't just out for a jolly while getting others to cough up and some just don't won't to support us!
So much for unity; are these people even bikers?

Wink

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:50 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers g. feel much better Cool the idea was everyone supports themselves as bikes don't use much fuel, and the block booking of hotels means cheaper deals. any help from sponsors would be brill but not expecting freebees.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:58 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say 100mpg and 2000 miles presuming you're not doing motorways for easy rounding.
That's 90l of fuel of around £117.
Easily double that for a bigger bike.
I reckon I could do it my car at 70mpg if driving carefully (faster than a 125, still), with the added benefit it could be modified to sleep in, as well as carrying extra stuff.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:08 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but I'd rather do it on a bike. more fun, and more of an experience. plus a chance to make new friends and new memories.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
nice support guys. biker unity. no wonder we can't use bus lanes

What is this biker unity you speak of? just because i ride a bike doesn't make you and me ghey brother's.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
at least this is one less forum to check.

And yet you come back to check it.

https://i.imgur.com/3em7ehi.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:28 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad. I thought as we're all on two wheel loving bikes we supported each other. clearly not.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:34 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
my bad. I thought as we're all on two wheel loving bikes we supported each other. clearly not.

But why are you not supporting US, then; as above?
How could you think this when you don't practice it yourself?

Oh and if you took a car such as mine, you could invite a three people to join you. Say £50 fuel each. You each donate £180 you'd have saved on fuel when compared to taking a sports bike yourself, take some tents, wild camp and give another £100 each for the hotel money you've saved.
Now, each of you is giving £280, I'd say you don't need to worry about all this 'sponsorship' BS. You've got a better change to make friends with these three people and plenty of opportunities to easily stop and have adventures without the worry of bike kit, bikes getting stolen and so on.

Everyone wins Thumbs Up.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:08 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
Bikers bikey bike biking bikers bikingly bikingest

All I've read so far is "Let's 'ave a ride sometime in 2014".

That's pretty hard to rally around.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:16 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

still in the planning stage hence the fb page and the request for advice and help. plus doing it in a car is kinda more road trip and pointless on a bike forum. and bikey bikey bike bike bikey bike? this is a bike forum. either help, or not. I did a charity bike wash and nobody made a fuss like this.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:31 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's your ride out?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:32 - 31 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps because washing other people's bikes (I'm presuming that was the concept), isn't something most people would consider a fun jolly which is really expensive for you to undertake?

Why not do another charity bike wash if you want to raise money for charity, then go on your jolly for the sake of the jolly.

Unless you are planning this purely for the sake of posting on a bike forum; why does it matter if it's appropriate for a bike forum or not?

Oh and I am 'helping', just not the help you wanted - perhaps if you don't want contrary opinions, you'd be best to post to a closed group on facebook or similar?
Otherwise, you put it in public, expect the public to respond.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:11 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always happy with useful advice. it's the name calling and pointless put downs. the date is being set soon so people can organised with time off etc. that's the reason for the fb page. so people can offer suggestions and help. all other sites have expressed interest and offered help without posting insults and sly comments. this is something I really want to make happen and all I ask for is help and support.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
I'm always happy with useful advice. it's the name calling and pointless put downs. the date is being set soon so people can organised with time off etc. that's the reason for the fb page. so people can offer suggestions and help. all other sites have expressed interest and offered help without posting insults and sly comments. this is something I really want to make happen and all I ask for is help and support.

Again, what I posted before that you've ignored:

Quote:
Does that include all you spend on fuel and everything else you could have donated to fucking charity? If you spend 1K on fuel and raise £900, you've lost £100. You may as well donate £900 to charity and stay warm and comfortable. Charity is only worth doing if it actually RAISES money, not LOSES money.

Not only that, inviting people to do it on 50cc scooters and superbikes is a monumentally fucking RIDICULOUS idea. One or the other.

Not both.

Nothing in there is namecalling. It's fact. By all means ride from A to B, but don't ask for money.

I don't ask for money for driving to the shops, I don't see what makes you so fucking entitled to think you can get money for doing this.

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:
I don't ask for money for driving to the shops, I don't see what makes you so fucking entitled to think you can get money for doing this.

Cos it's for charidee.

I don't know what charidee, but that doesn't seem to matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:17 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

air ambulance and help for heroes are the chosen charities and each member will be self supporting

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
air ambulance and help for heroes are the chosen charities and each member will be self supporting

Self supported by buying their own fuel, food, mechanical gubbins, and everything else?

Why not raise even more money, sit on your fat arses and donate that to charity instead of burning old dinosaurs for 24 hours, wasting more money?

You really don't get it, do you? Why spend to raise? Why not just donate what you would spend?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:03 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's your ride out?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:43 - 02 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:

Air Ambulance got my money once.

Help for people who like to play Call of Duty and think its real but soon realise respawns aren't real-oes can jog on Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7