Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

national charity ride from John 'O' Groats to Lands End

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:18 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

with work I can't do the ride up from the midlands in time to get there, plus I need to be there early to co-ordinate the start. avoiding motorways as some riders are on l plates.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it faster with the van?

Mira
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
MPG stuff.......I reckon I could do it my car at 70mpg if driving carefully (faster than a 125, still), with the added benefit it could be modified to sleep in, as well as carrying extra stuff.

mongman wrote:
true, but I'd rather do it on a bike. more fun, and more of an experience. plus a chance to make new friends and new memories.

So going in a car is no good but now a LWB transit is fine?

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:03 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda daft taking a car on a bike ride, plus my wife is on 'l's so would take ages to get there in one day. also the van doubles as support for us and the ride as we need to be at work on Thursday.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it faster with a van?

How many bikes are signed up for doing the ride? These people are on big bikes, small bikes, mopeds?

Out of interest, how much sponsorship has been raised?

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:00 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a few on big bikes like my zzr, and some on crossers, tourers and sports bikes. got about 20+ definite so far, donations are being sorted on an official donations page we're working on.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats more than 19.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:06 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
also the van doubles as support for us and the ride as we need to be at work on Thursday.

I know transits had the reputation of being the fastest vehicle around because there's always one up your backside - but in reality, a bike really SHOULD be faster than a van on almost all situations Smile.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:41 - 03 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failbook page STILL wrote:
No engine too small

What are you planning to do when a ped signs up, or worse, just shows up?

How long will the true biker spirit and camaraderie last at 20mph? Thinking

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:06 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife is taking a scooter. and as she is on a 125 scooter and limited to 60 we're going up in a van as it'll take ages off motorway to get there from the midlands on the sunday.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:41 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give up.

https://fyi.uwex.edu/safepreserving/files/2013/09/handwashing.jpg

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:22 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too. only posted to advertise the event. no other charity post has this aggro. does it really matter how I get there?

Skyzec
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:50 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I don't want to revive a dead thread but this doesn't sound like a terrible Idea.

With any charity event you pay for your own fuel/lunch and anything that may go wrong with you bike. This does not normally come out of the charity pot...

I don't see why people are moaning. Have you ever bought a "charity calendar" or anything similar. Its generally only about 5% that gets donated...

Just my 2cents. For the record I'd love to ride with you guys Wink

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:58 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyzec wrote:

I don't see why people are moaning. Have you ever bought a "charity calendar" or anything similar. Its generally only about 5% that gets donated...

I always check to see how much money is going to who before handing it over.
People in the chugging business don't seem to like me for that.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a dead thread, this lolcow has many gallons of milking left in it Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:26 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the final time before I delete the thread: everyone is self supporting. we're aiming to organise group bookings for the overnight stops but that just means everyone pays a small amount up front for the block bookings. fuel, food, recovery, burger van stops, booze, fines, insurance and anything else are paid for by the individual with 100% of donations going to charity. and if anyone feels like posting wind up comments for their own amusement kindly think of the damage you're doing to a charitable event aimed to help others. whether you agree with it or not it's happening. either help by sharing, advising and supporting, or help by keeping sarcastic and picky points to yourself. rant over.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:42 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about the damage YOU are doing for MY charitable 'holiday in the sun'?
The reality is that it doesn't sound like an "event aimed to help others". It sounds like a Jolly you want to get some people along for.

Again, there are much better ways you could help charities.
The way I see it, by trying to get people to give money away for your jolly, you're diminishing the efforts of those making a real difference.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:56 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the length of time this thread has been running and the amount of effort the OP has put into vainly trying to get some support he could have got a paper round and paid for his own bloody holiday.

Good flounce skills though so Thumbs Up for that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:23 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of helpful questions and suggestions have been posted but you're not in the slightest bit interested.

You've done much more damage to your charitable cause than people replying to this thread have done. Think about that.

You don't appear to have a justgiving.com page or suchlike, you're not doing very well at collecting money for your charity!

The cost of your big party with a band playing could go a long way if you donated that to whatever charity it is.

Incredibly poor effort and so the event is going to be a failure.

Oh and you can't delete the thread. Laughing

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
for the final time before I delete the thread: everyone is self supporting. we're aiming to organise group bookings for the overnight stops but that just means everyone pays a small amount up front for the block bookings. fuel, food, recovery, burger van stops, booze, fines, insurance and anything else are paid for by the individual with 100% of donations going to charity. and if anyone feels like posting wind up comments for their own amusement kindly think of the damage you're doing to a charitable event aimed to help others. whether you agree with it or not it's happening. either help by sharing, advising and supporting, or help by keeping sarcastic and picky points to yourself. rant over.

This has been the best bit for me.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:37 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now comes the guilt-rage-blame.

I honestly wish you the best of luck and might have been minded to tag along on a nice friendly bike trip, even at 125 speeds, but the angry can rattling has just ruined it for me.

I'm not a scrounging pikey, I won't go begging on your behalf, nor will I give my money to people that you want to support in order to make you feel better about having a jolly. I can ride with a clear conscience.

Also:

#1 "National" air ambulance? There is no charity air ambulance in Scotland. It's State funded, as it should be. I'm all right, Jock.

#2 H4H can get royally fucked. You won't even cover their trustees' lunch expenses. I would rather give my money to random tramps - it's more likely to get into the hands of an actual squaddie that way.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:03 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell. I'm going on this ride, and got loads of people interested. We are going to get a huge group out, makes loads of money and have a great time. I've done my first aid course and got loads of other first aiders, done my photography course and got loads of marshals helping. Thanks for all the helpful advice and the ride is now amended and proceeding nicely with magazines interested.

And for those with all the spiteful, nasty and stupid answers please note: i came here for help and advice. Your sarcastic and counterproductive comments have only helped me to realise some people have nothing better to do than wind up others so i will leave with one piece of advise before i ignore this thread and forum: if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Cheers for your help guys. I'm out of here.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Passed mod 1! Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
What the hell. I'm going on this ride, and got loads of people interested. We are going to get a huge group out, makes loads of money and have a great time. I've done my first aid course and got loads of other first aiders, done my photography course and got loads of marshals helping. Thanks for all the helpful advice and the ride is now amended and proceeding nicely with magazines interested.

And for those with all the spiteful, nasty and stupid answers please note: i came here for help and advice. Your sarcastic and counterproductive comments have only helped me to realise some people have nothing better to do than wind up others so i will leave with one piece of advise before i ignore this thread and forum: if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Cheers for your help guys. I'm out of here.

Flogging a very dead and decomposed horse ain't ya?

3 weeks since the last post and you're still trying to prove a point.

You just wanted money for a jolly, and if you can't see that then you're mental.

Last edited by sabian92 on 20:30 - 13 Apr 2014; edited 1 time in total

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gd8ewmnjidE/TIVhSdQVNaI/AAAAAAAADhs/WRmlPFBtly8/s1600/forrest+gump+%231.jpg

It's such a retarded statement, not exactly promoting progress is it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
I'm out of here.

I thought Korn had fixed the problem with posts getting repeated over and over?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7