Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

national charity ride from John 'O' Groats to Lands End

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:46 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Laughing - flouncing isn't the sort of 'strength' most people organising such events usually show off!

Here's an alternative thought - if you want a jolly, go and have your jolly without trying to make people pay out money because you're having a jolly.
If you have a cause you believe is worthy, first off spend the time to promote to people WHY that cause is worthy - tip; you going on a jolly does NOT make the cause worthy. Worse; weren't you the one that didn't even understand who you were giving money to (national air ambulance was mentioned here, wasn't it?)

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now this is something you don't see very often, the delayed flounce. Usually the common flounce is taken as a snap reaction to something, however this is something of a much higher level. The OP actually took several weeks to ponder the exact style and wording of his exit flounce, and yet still managed to come across as a whinging cry-baby who didn't get the support he thought he deserved to get his holiday funded for him and had now gone crying off to mumsie for some bitty.

I salute you sir, your flounce powers are strong.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:38 - 14 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 31 Dec 2013 and page 2 mongman wrote:
at least this is one less forum to check.

Curtain-call flouncing to an empty theatre.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 14 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:

I've done my first aid course

done my photography course

Did you get your cub scout badges for them?

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:22 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get the hint. you are all obviously so much better than me. I'm just a pleb who has no life and has to do charity work, and help people to make my insignificant life seem better, while you are all so perfect and amazing guys like me should fall at your feet. so very humbly sorry to have wasted the precious time you've spent responding to my pointless effort to make my insignificant life worthwhile. i'll let you go back to being awesome and i'll crawl back under my rock.

oh and keep posting your childish comments to a post that has gone so far from the original point it's lost in obscurity. I know who's better here. go enjoy your playdoh. I'm off to speak to real bikers, not kids. later asswipes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
later asswipes

That'll tell us, now we know we're the "kids" and not "real bikers"

Also, you really need to get a hang of this flouncing thing - maybe start with the basics like "how to not reply on an internet forum", before trying more advanced tasks? Wink

Or, of course, we may wonder if the whole thing is sort of massive wind up on your part? Why else would you have posted in the first placed and carried on so?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:45 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
chaaaaarity [...] real bikers

How

https://i58.tinypic.com/2604n4h.jpg

chastised

https://i58.tinypic.com/mww7py.jpg

I must

https://i59.tinypic.com/1zya1ix.jpg

feel.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:50 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at all those people who went on a jolly for charity. why didn't they just work more and pay out of their wages instead of asking for money? makes sense don't it?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame on all you naysayers.

Look at some of the donations the OP is declaring on his FB page, if it were me getting $1385000000 million I'd probably jack work in and do it fulltime!

Quote:
Barr. wilson Harry
To ,Me

14 Mar

My name is Barrister Wilson H,I acted as the personal attorney to my
late client, my client and his family were involved in a car accident
while coming back from vacation, all occupants of the vehicle
unfortunately lost their lives. I have made several inquiries to
locate any relative of my late client, but was unsuccessful. I am
contacting you to assist me to claim the sum of
(Us13.850.000.00MILLION DOLLARS) that my late client deposited with a
bank here in Togo. One good advantage we have here is that you have
the same surname with my deceased client.
Bank gave me a notice to provide my late client's next of kin /
Beneficiary of his inheritance or else they will have the fund divert
to the government as an unclaimed deposit. Here is my private email
address (wilsonharry1_esq@hotmail.co.uk), for more informations. I
will only reply your email if you write me in my private
email:(wilsonharry1_esq@hotmail.co.uk)
Best Regards
Wilson H, (Esq)
Lome Togo.

Edit: I'm also a little confused about 'all the help' he's getting from this link

Quote:
https://birminghambikersandevents.weebly.com/

FriendlyEllis
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:29 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skydiving for charity.
Running for charity.
Movember for charity.

Lots of people do things they love or are easy for charity.

He's not asking anyone on here for money.... Just invited you along.

I'd love to do this ride with other bikers at my own cost. If friends and family say they'd give me a fiver for doing it then great.

My wife's doing the 3 Peaks for charity. She loves walking and is fit enough to do it.
I'm not going "find something you hate and struggle at otherwise I'm not sponsoring you"

Children In Need. Dozens of TV presenters doing their normal job. We don't say "Oh look at them....having a good laugh I'm not paying them ... Because lots of people did pay, to the tune of £31m.

Give the man a break*.

*clause - I know you won't give the man a break. 😜

Live and let live. 😘

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEllis wrote:
Skydiving for charity.

It may have actually been discussed in this thread - personally I think this is ridiculous. Getting someone to pay for you to do a sky dive in the auspices of 'charity'. My personal morality would never allow me to do so.

I do run and have done plenty of races which ask for donations. I have never felt the need to ask people to give money for me setting myself a personal fitness challenge.

Similarly, I wouldn't feel right asking people to pay for me not to shave.

The latter two hopefully, however, involve no particular outlay by the individual and in both cases may be a 'hardship' for one reason or another.

Quote:
Lots of people do things they love or are easy for charity.

And to my mind those people don't deserve to get money for doing something easy.
Quote:

He's not asking anyone on here for money.... Just invited you along.

And this being a 'forum', he's received people's opinion and advice. If he doesn't want to hear what people think, this isn't the right place.

There's a difference between people offering you money to ride a bike - and you asking them to give money in what's considered a guilt trip because it's for charity.

I ran a trail ultramarathon. A lot of it was painful (it was 21 miles longer than I'd run before). I wouldn't consider that lack of preperation (last minute thing, to be fair) to be a good reason either.
There are a lot of reasons you might want to keep your wife happy by giving her money for her walk, but perhaps best they weren't discussed here Razz.

Children in need irks me. Mostly about "give money because we say so" and a lot less about really making people understand what the money can do.

Calling someone an idiot that can't even flouce from a forum thread properly doesn't contradict 'live and let live' taken literally Smile.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers friendly ellis. Ok you have joined me in the firing line but the compliment and support is a massive thing for me. Thanks for sacrificing yourself to make me feel better. Hope to see you at john o groats. Owe you a pint! And they won't stop which is why i rarely use this forum and never for anything important any more.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I bring my bike round to your house so that I can win the photo-challenge "your bike and Jesus nailed to a cross"?

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was doing a photo challenge at my house yes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:43 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And they won't stop

You keep claiming you HAVE stopped, yet you can't.
Why do you expect others who haven't claimed any such thing to do it when you can't manage it yourself?

Wouldn't it be better to give the money to your chosen (or perhaps his) charity on behalf Ellis rather than buy alcohol with it? Wink

It was about the charidee, yes?

Last edited by G on 19:57 - 20 Apr 2014; edited 1 time in total

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:52 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just decided not to rise to antagonists who have nothing better to do than bully people who ask for help like school kids. So i'm sorting the ride for air ambulance and help for heroes, and enjoy spending time with other bikers, get some memories and new friends and make some money for charity. Say what you like, i don't care as i have more than enough support from others to let this group go.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:00 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
to let this group go.

Laughing Evidence suggests otherwise. Laughing

So, have you got a more precise explanation than 'Air Ambulance', or are just going to carry on with this petty 'school kid' throwing a tantrum? Wink

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:10 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Childish tantrum. Interesting. Since i never heard of flouncing before i came here. And 98% of posts seem to be against either a: charity, b: doing anything at all for charity, or c: petty remarks i wouldn't have said i was the one being childish. The event itself is now at the route planning stage, the min speed upped to 60mph and several members have already sorted travel arrangements for it. I would post updates but seeing as everyone attacked me saying i wanted this trip funded by charity, my own expences funded by charity, or picking the 'wrong' charities i didn't see any point. Every suggestion i made got a response of 'you are an idiot who has no clue you just want a funded holiday' i gave up asking for advice. And i have listened hence the alterations. The planning has gone very well, not that anyone here cares. And if that is childish them i'll just say i posted the same on all forums and this is the only one i've had problems with.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:25 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for you to explain 'Air Ambulance'.

Quote:
the min speed upped to 60mph

Shocked What about the fiddy's? Shocked

I was going to discuss the way's you're being childish AND tantrumish, but the plan was to have an early night tonight.

One of the reasons I like this forum is that it generally lets people offer thought out opinions even when they're not congruent with the current marketing trends. A lot of other places don't like this.

Oh and I have SOME more respect that people decide to something for a specific charity they have personal reasons to support.
I'd say the two you have chosen are the two I've seen most often 'chosen' - it would seem to me that people base it on what will get them the most publicity, not ones which are well thought out on what they do.

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose air ambulance as being a biker they do mean the difference between life and death. I have a metal plate in my leg from an accident when i was a pillion and an air ambulance, though not needed it made me aware of how easily you can get hurt badly in a bike crash. It's also relevant to other bikers. Help for heroes is because i used to serve in the reserves before my leg injury means i can't run, or even walk far so couldn't be deployed anymore.
I don't mind banter and a joke, the army lives off it. And i'm happy to listen to and accept advice and criticism, but snide insults and plain stupid comments designed to puerly wind me up, especially while i'm terrified organising my first national event, are seriously unappreciated.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:56 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for you to explain 'Air Ambulance' - what charity are you donating to?

Good that you do seem to have some more reasonable reasons to support these two charities.

Doesn't mean just the concept of the name 'help for heroes' annoys me less Smile.

Just because you got wound up doesn't mean people are doing it for that, rather than to offer their honest opinion.
Perhaps if you took the time to accept people's opinions, you'd be less terrified.

On that, that worries me. You should be confident because you've planned well.
If you're terrified, it suggests your planning is lacking.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your event. Hope it goes well for you and you raise all the money for charity as you have explained. Thumbs Up

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:05 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers clanger. i'll be posting updates of the ride. and organising anything, small or big, has an inherent risk of something going wrong. I've learnt from all the small events I've done to aim for the best. it'll be all right on the night. still worried though. air ambulance is the air ambulance. big, usually yellow air ambulances in the uk for injured peeps that only get charity funding.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongman wrote:
air ambulance is the air ambulance. big, usually yellow air ambulances in the uk for injured peeps that only get charity funding.

Wrong on several counts.
How can you claim to have got this far and have not got the basics sorted, especially when I'm sure this has already been discussed in this very thread?

Or was it just because the people discussing this weren't telling you how you were doing an amazingly heroic job for CHARIDDY that you weren't interested? Wink

mongman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who else funds the air ambulance? pigs?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> UK National All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7