Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mod 2 training, bike hire, test centre, etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G30
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Mod 2 training, bike hire, test centre, etc Reply with quote

If I don't do training for mod 2 and just hire a bike, does an instructor go to and from the test centre with you? I could probably find my own way there but It'd be easier on the nerves if I knew if I made a wrong turn I would be put straight back on track. The "just hire a bike" seems like it'd be just that, could I pay to be able to go with the instructor and the other candidate that would already be going?

Also, is mod 2 training really needed? I feel really confident on the road. Just want some opinions.

Inb4callyourtrainingcentre
Oh and dat feel when the examiner says "I'm pleased to tell you..."
____________________
KTM RC390 -- Kawa ER6f -- Yam YZF R125 -- Yam YBR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you pass your test, you can't legally ride anything above 125cc without being in radio contact with a certified instructor. I'm not familiar with the background, but are you talking about renting a 125 and taking the A1? If so, ignore me and carry on, but if you think you could take the full A test this way, you'd have to put the bike in a van to get it to the test centre.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could drive it to the test centre and tell the dsa instructor you got a mate to drop it off.

Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G30
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about A2 mod 2 test.

So considering as you have to ride with a qualified instructor, I guess I could just ride with the other candidate(s), one of which I would have been training with if I did the training (as the other one would have taken my place). With the instructor behind, obviously. Don't see why they wouldn't let me do that unless you're only allowed 2 candidates per instructor but I haven't seen anything about that.
____________________
KTM RC390 -- Kawa ER6f -- Yam YZF R125 -- Yam YBR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ratio is 2 pupils to 1 instructor, also you could not just "tag along" you have to be in radio contact with the instructor. Don't be tight, do it properly, get it out the way.
____________________
Yamaha RD50M, Honda C90, Yamaha RS100, Yamaha RD125LC, Honda XL125 V9 Varadero, Honda NT700VA, Honda VFR800X, Honda CRF1000L, Honda ST1300 Pan European
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:04 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G30 wrote:
Talking about A2 mod 2 test.

So considering as you have to ride with a qualified instructor, I guess I could just ride with the other candidate(s), one of which I would have been training with if I did the training (as the other one would have taken my place). With the instructor behind, obviously. Don't see why they wouldn't let me do that unless you're only allowed 2 candidates per instructor but I haven't seen anything about that.


Definitely update us because I'd be very interested if you can convince an instructor to do this. Think about it from her position: you have to wear a bib advertising the school and giving the phone number (part of the regs) and she will be in charge of you while you are on the road, for insurance reasons, etc. You are an as-yet-unlicensed rider who feels they don't need any training.

Hmm. Nope, I wouldn't do it.
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Re: Mod 2 training, bike hire, test centre, etc Reply with quote

G30 wrote:
If I don't do training for mod 2 and just hire a bike

Stop you there. Hand

Motorcycle training schools do motorcycle training, not bike hire.

Picture a complete stranger rocking up and asking to borrow your bike to go and do some swerve and emergency brake manoeuvres. All you know about them is that they're unqualified, but they assure you that they are an excellent driver.

https://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5778/rainman.jpg

Throw the keys at them, right?


G30 wrote:
Inb4callyourtrainingcentre

It's the most helpful thing anyone can advise. You're imagineering.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay for some lessons and do it properly.

Instructors are only allowed 2 students on the road and normally we would be taking 2 candidates to the test centre at the same time. The only exception would be if you had a third student on a 125 going to test because with a CBT they are legally able to ride unaccompanied (just in case anybody has ever seen an instructor with 3 students - that's why).

Personally unless the school I was working at had taught you I wouldn't let you loose on a school bike and take you for test.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G30
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 29 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will ring them up and see what my options are, I guess I'll be doing the usual training and test.
____________________
KTM RC390 -- Kawa ER6f -- Yam YZF R125 -- Yam YBR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Richy CB1000
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:59 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel you'll not need much training, go for a paid lesson so they can tell you where you're at.

You may find if you're ok, and at least they've seen you, they would then agree so minimum payment required.

I'll never agree to someone just going on the test in my car! I don't have a minimum number of hours etc... if they've asked for an assessment an they're good enough = go for test, simple.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, it is an option to do it on your own appropriate bike. You need a way of getting it to the test centre legally, and insurance on your provisionaL, i.e. Bikesure, but that's it (other than sporting L plates).

Not many people do it, but you get massive man points.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer



Joined: 06 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mod 1 and 2 on my own bike earlier this month. I was able to get my dad to ride the bike there, though, and had about 1000 miles practice on my 125.

I chose getting a 125 over DAS back in 2011, then took me ages to get round to booking tests etc. by which time doing the tests on a 125 was useless.

I didn't fancy paying for DAS course on top of my 125 practice, so took the test on my dad's bike and decided to treat it as a lesson, even 2/3 tests is cheaper than most DAS courses. Can't remember who it was but someone wrote on here in a related thread: "you can learn on a test, but you can't pass on a lesson".

The examiner was a bit edgy about it, but I passed. It did take quite a lot of organising though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G30
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 2 training (so not including the test itself) for me is around £280 for one day.

I asked an instructor what exactly we would be doing and he said ride around for several 40 minute intervals, stopping in between and getting feedback. Then obviously going through the questions.
____________________
KTM RC390 -- Kawa ER6f -- Yam YZF R125 -- Yam YBR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeyjoe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G30 wrote:
Mod 2 training (so not including the test itself) for me is around £280 for one day.

I asked an instructor what exactly we would be doing and he said ride around for several 40 minute intervals, stopping in between and getting feedback. Then obviously going through the questions.


Wow... that's pricey! what's that for in 1 day, 11 hours?
Is there not another riding trainer you can go to? I pay £25 an hour, usually no more than 4 hours riding per day with short breaks, excellent training and feedback, going for my Mod 2 shortly, I could probably take it now and pass, but I've asked for another 2 or 3 hours as I want to be safer and pass 1st time hopefully Smile
Good luck whatever route you take buddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that most A2/A candidates will be out 2:1, I assume that £280 is for 1:1?

And that'll still leave you needing a bike for the test day(s) so you may be as well just asking for an inclusive fee for a course and tests.

lynnnsr wrote:
Can't remember who it was but someone wrote on here in a related thread: "you can learn on a test, but you can't pass on a lesson".

That poster sounds really insightful. Whistle
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G30
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

£355 for training and test so yes £280 for the training and bike hire. 9am-5pm training so 8 hours plus riding to and from the test centre and the test itself the next day so probably another 2/3 hours. So 10/11 hours in total. That equates to £28/£25 per hour. I think it's for 2:1 but now you mention it, I saw someone doing mod 2 the other day and they were 1:1 but they may have paid extra. I'll check.

I really don't think I need much training at all.
____________________
KTM RC390 -- Kawa ER6f -- Yam YZF R125 -- Yam YBR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G30
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 02 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 2 training + bike hire = £198
Mod 2 bike hire ride to test = £82
Mod 2 test = £75


£200 for one day training, not sure I think it's worth it at this stage, it's not like I'm doing a DAS including CBT and have never been on the road before.
____________________
KTM RC390 -- Kawa ER6f -- Yam YZF R125 -- Yam YBR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeyjoe
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 06 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did you do the mod1 with? Are you with the same instructor?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 105.23 Kb