Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Service vehicles in rush hour

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
 Topic moved: from Fights & Flame Wars to General Bike Chat by Kickstart (3 Oct 2004 - 21:02)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 10:10 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Service vehicles in rush hour Reply with quote

I think that the government should ban all services vehicles from the road between the hours of 7am - 9am and 5pm - 7pm!

Service vehicles being:

Dustbin lorries doing refuse collection
JCB's
Milk floats
Road sweeper lorries

I sat in a massive tailback for miles this morning, 100's of cars delayed! All due to a Dustbin lorry collecting rubbish! I mean why not wait until 9am, once the rush hour traffic has cleared? It really would not make much difference to their day and a huge difference to the already cluttered up roads!

I actually went as far as writing to the local Council about this, as suspected, I had no response.

We all have jobs to do I know, but I think a little common sense is needed here. The roads are constantly under scrutiny for ways to improve traffic problems, like walk your kids to school day and car sharing or taking public transport. But to then throw a vehicle that will stop and start or not pass 20mph in the middle of the road problems is utter madness.

There we go, I have finished. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed one out...

Arrow Cows crossing the road during the morning rush hour.

Every day at approx 8.20am, 100 cows cross my path from one field to another. It's the bloody A34!! You can imagine the effect this has on the traffic, and the cows walk so slow! Evil or Very Mad

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 12:41 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, write to the farmer! Threaten a complaint to the local authorities. He is a farmer, they are normally up at 4am, why can't he move his stinking cows then!?

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 12:44 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cows tend to go when they want!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:35 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see you force a cow to go somewhere!

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
I'd like to see you force a cow to go somewhere!

That is what they invented the cattle prod for Cool

*bzt*

*moo*

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:05 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milk floats are not government vehicles, it's private companies which run them. Same with JCB's as anyone can rent one and do as they please with it (as long as they have a driving license Laughing ).

They do have as much rights to use the roads as anyone else does, so it would make their jobs in those times if all other vehicles were banned. They don't actually cause that many problems, as dustbin lorries are generally going round residential places, JCB's where ever needed, milk floats again around residential places (so how is that a problem to people commuting to work? Confused ) and road sweepers are only driven around places when they are needed there, would you prefer if they just left whatever they need to clean off the road? As I'm sure you'd be one of the first to complain if the roads were not being kept clean enough and you had a crash because of it.

I don't think you find dustbin lorries in the middle of roads, you find them near where the bins which need emptying are! Or would you prefer that the rubbish was just all left there to stink?

Not surprised they didn't take the time to write back to you, they have proper stuff to do like working out ways of improving the traffic situation as opposed to writing letters explaining themselves. Thumbs Down

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 22:12 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not surprised they didn't take the time to write back to you, they have proper stuff to do like working out ways of improving the traffic situation as opposed to writing letters explaining themselves.

LOL

Don't suppose you work for the council do you? Laughing

I used to work in the complaints department of our local council and I know very well how it works. My sole job was dealing with enquiries and complaints.

Common sense, thats all I want. The main road I was stuck on was lined with 100's of bins, why not, hit the estates during rush hour and do that road after 9am, simple.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pants! wrote:
Common sense, thats all I want.

And you're hoping for an organisation powered by the government to do that? I hate to disappoint you but I think you'll have more luck if you tried to make your car grow wings so you could skip the traffic rather than trying to stop the council from making traffic. Laughing

WILDECELT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:51 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

karen_moomin wrote:
You missed one out...

Arrow Cows crossing the road during the morning rush hour.

Every day at approx 8.20am, 100 cows cross my path from one field to another. It's the bloody A34!! You can imagine the effect this has on the traffic, and the cows walk so slow! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry to say but it might help if you left for work a little earliar Very Happy Very Happy

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
make your car grow wings

LOL, now there is a sensible idea.... Laughing

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works for Harry Potter... Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:03 - 10 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I try to see it is that if I'm in a car, it's my problem, it's just one of the sacrifices you have to make... if I was on a bike I could get past.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1