Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

new-to-me winter hack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: new-to-me winter hack Reply with quote

Bought this zx9r the other week for £1500 - it had 1.8k miles on it (this soon went up to over 20k as I got really into it and wanted to ride it all the time). Too good for winter hack but it could do it, at that price.

Panels all fit very nicely. No corrosion anywhere (although paint on wheels is piss-thin, and swing-arm near shock is a bit flaky). Consumables fine - tyres will need changing in the next thou or so, chain and sprox okay though. Recommendations for tyres please. Mostly going to be dry miles NB, but still need to handle damp roads.

It's a great bike - very refined, bonkers rapid if you want it to be, but will do sensible-ish without ruffling a feather. Can even bimble. It's very comfy (the suspension is magic-carpet incredible - probably a bit under-damped to be fair, but I love it), it's buttery smooth, and 80 feels like 40 on every other bike I've ever ridden iygwim. It's even not too bad on fuel if you're careful.

Weak points are the brakes. Six pot Tokicos are like cheese - me and a good mate spend most of last weekend rebuilding them (new seals, etc.). They're better now but still not really good enough imo - a bit too much lever travel, etc. Might fit some four pot Nissins in the future.

https://i.imgur.com/B86Mr7T.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qzom58u.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h6Ky9x4.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new bike!

Sometimes crappy brakes are a good thing when its a winter hack, safety feature Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve of your (1st?) big bike. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice and shiny, I'd probably spray vast amounts of ACF-50 all over as soon as possible: on the underside of that rear suspension especially, probably thank yourself post winter.

Tyres: PR3: I give up on the bad weather long before the tyres do. Saying that I managed the majority of last winter on a scrubbed set of Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers with only one or two slightly wobbles from the front on roundabouts (that was, however, a period in time whereby I used only an even lesser fraction of the bikes power than I do now and no more than three gears so their performance may only be recorded as manageable simply because I hardly tested them).

Be sure to lug a 16 mm around with you. I only pushed my bike to the end of my path today when a group of young (young children not chav sixteen year old young) kids approached with one of them attempting to rev the throttle after I started it: soon slapped the bastards hand and told em to jogg on, all the while two older males -- most probably waiting for drugs -- stood down the road and one shouted his mate to look over at me when they spotted the bike: I laughed at not being able to move without being eye'd up. I waffle, apologies.

Fair play on the mileage: I've managed the poor performance of less than 2,000 so far (year, for me, ends in Nov): with theft, though, I've hardly wanted to move it most days.

Enjoy. Thumbs Up

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, what were the Japanese thinking in the 90s?

Looks like a green leaf salad on a bed of red cabbage.

Nice bike though Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I approve of your (1st?) big bike. Thumbs Up

Well, first over 650 anyway.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Honestly, what were the Japanese thinking in the 90s?

Looks like a green leaf salad on a bed of red cabbage.

Nice bike though Thumbs Up

I think they were just trying to make it less boring than the C1. That's when they realised no other colour actually goes with grabber green.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:07 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant bike and good price for a 9, I have the 600 version - done almost 20k on mine in the last year, hasn't let me down.

You're right about the calipers. Nissin 4 pots from a Bandit 12 are a straight swap and much better than the 6 pots I've been told. Still yet to swap mine out though.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they're easy to swap - but iirc the banjo bolt is different. Apart from that, it's the same 90mm measurement between the calliper bolts, and even the master cylinder is compatible. Also, there are quite a few bikes that share that Nissin calliper -

GSXR400 RL/RM/RN/RP/RS (1990 - 1995)

GSXR750 J/K/L/M/RK/WP/WN Slingshot (1988 - 1993)

RF900 RR/RS/RT/RV/RW RS2 1994 -1999

GSXR1100 G-H-J-K-L-M-N 1986-1993

GSF1200 ST/SV/SW/SX/SY/T/V/W/X/Y Bandit 1996 -2000

Also some Triumphs - but NB the callipers have the Triumph logo cast onto them -

Sprint, Trophy, carburettor Daytona/Speed Triple, all 900 Sprint, 955 Sprint ST/RS

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1