BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Something to go with the 3D printer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 00:19 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge amount of progress on this of late; I've been snowed under at work. However, I did get some time to throw at it this evening, and all I have to report is that the wiring on this is bastard fiddly.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/12706077095_532648832e_b.jpg
This is the most accessible bit, and as such is the only one I can really show all that readily. The original design specified that the wires should be soldered to the flat ribbon tab that comes off the stepper motor, but sod that; I've tried soldering those before, and it's a shite of a job. I was pretty fast in soldering the wires straight on to those stubs, and I'm using a low-power iron, so I don't think there's be any internal damage as a result of doing it the way I did.

So far, I've wired up both steppers like that, I'm going to crimp some plugs on the other end of the leads, and attach them tot he drivers. Once I've got the drivers attached to the arduino shield, I can start testing things.

In other news, I also made a rather cool video at work this week; I stuck a camera to the head of one of the lasercutters, and ran a job through it. I can't upload it yet, because I'm waiting for the copyright owner's go-ahead on the music I used, but once I've got that, I'll post the link.

Before I forget; a big thank you goes to serlant for sorting me out with a couple of laser diodes: I'm going to test a few out, and see which one has the best cutting results.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:32 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a bit more wiring done. Getting those laser diodes to fit in the barrel is a bit of a sod. It's not operational yet, but progress is happening.

serlant
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:46 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, It only cost me the quid or so postage, even the packet was free from work Smile if none of them work (a possibility as they were from unknown functioning ps3's) let me know i'll dig some more out for you! you've made me want to try building a phaser now! Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2