Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

twin head lights

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: twin head lights Reply with quote

Twin head lights on motorcycles seem to me, usually only one light lights up with normal beam, both lights only with full beam.(my TDM too). If both lights light up with normal and full beam, it will make your view better.. I wonder why bike makers doesn't do this.
Does your bike have twin head lights and how is yours?

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV, both headlights were all the time.

Fazer:

https://www.bkmoto.com/image/cache/data/FZ6/FZ6%20Angel%20Eyes%20-600x400.jpg

Two small outer lights and the left headlight all the time, right one was the fullbeam one (left and right from rider's perspective)

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalangel wrote:
SV, both headlights were all the time.

Fazer:

https://www.bkmoto.com/image/cache/data/FZ6/FZ6%20Angel%20Eyes%20-600x400.jpg

Two small outer lights and the left headlight all the time, right one was the fullbeam one (left and right from rider's perspective)

Thanks! SV had both lights! I didn't know this.
Fazer's ring lights looks so cool!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:42 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Re: twin head lights Reply with quote

Pretty much all the bikes I've had with twin lights have both with twin-filament bulbs. NSR125, SV650, R6, ZX6R, ZX9R all have two.
There are some advantages to one each side - you may get a better view on full beam as you get both dip and main beam patterns at once - you shouldn't run both beam patterns together for extended periods if you have a twin filament for heat and possibly power issues I believe.
The reflectors can be specifically designed to work on the dip/main beam (though of course some may use twin bulbs and relfectors each side - zzr1400 an obvious example).

To some degree the size of the reflector often has more impact on how much illumination you get - around 2000 a lot of bikes had pretty big reflectors - it seems like that was about the zenith for decent illumination.
If you want more light, there's always options like HID.
I can see LEDS getting used more - I've got a 12x T6 LED torch that is certainly considerably brighter in the centre than my truck headlights and it could run a lot brighter than it does with a better driver. I could see these getting used for the full beam at least - they can be compact while providing pretty decent illumination forward, then maybe a more conventional dipped beam bulb.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most older bikes with twin headlights use H4 twin filament bulbs meaning both will be on during both high beam and low beam.

Newer bikes tend to use H7 bulbs which are more efficient. However they require a separate bulb for high beam and low beam.

Personally I'm not convinced that twin headlights perform any better then a single headlamp. It's all about the quality of the reflector.

Often twin headlight bikes have a smaller less effective reflector, so all you're really doing is just consuming an extra 60w of power.

Best headlights I've come across in the past few years are the Aprilia Falco (single headlight), and VFR800 (twin head light)

LEDs are on the way, but they aren't that efficient compared to HID or even a regular H7 bulb. You'd want minimum of 2000 lumens, and at that output you're going to need 35-55w plus a ballast pack (similar to HID) and cooling. You also need to contend with the fact they don't often project as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the dark, a motorcycle with twin headlights close together can also appear very like a distant car.

People at a junction pull out thinking they have plenty of time only to find a motorcycle right on top of them.

I believe that's why there was a trend for eccentric headlights like the BMW GS:
https://www.r1200gs.info/photos/originals/R1200GS-headlights.jpg

Or vertically stacked twin headlights like on the Hayabusa:
https://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/349332-3/2012-Suzuki-Hayabusa-1340-Headlights.jpg

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Re: twin head lights Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:

both my R1 & ZZR14 have a twin headlight set-up,
both work well & give better wider illumination than a single bulb.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Re: twin head lights Reply with quote

G wrote:
Pretty much all the bikes I've had with twin lights have both with twin-filament bulbs. NSR125, SV650, R6, ZX6R, ZX9R all have two.
There are some advantages to one each side - you may get a better view on full beam as you get both dip and main beam patterns at once - you shouldn't run both beam patterns together for extended periods if you have a twin filament for heat and possibly power issues I believe.
The reflectors can be specifically designed to work on the dip/main beam (though of course some may use twin bulbs and relfectors each side - zzr1400 an obvious example).

To some degree the size of the reflector often has more impact on how much illumination you get - around 2000 a lot of bikes had pretty big reflectors - it seems like that was about the zenith for decent illumination.
If you want more light, there's always options like HID.
I can see LEDS getting used more - I've got a 12x T6 LED torch that is certainly considerably brighter in the centre than my truck headlights and it could run a lot brighter than it does with a better driver. I could see these getting used for the full beam at least - they can be compact while providing pretty decent illumination forward, then maybe a more conventional dipped beam bulb.

There were so many two lights bikes not only SV650!
I was not thinking about design and size of reflectors, and did not
know there were some advantages to one each side type. This was really informative for me thanks!
My TDM head light is not so dark compared to off road bikes like XR250, it may be why it has bigger reflectors each side.
When I push full beam button, it gets double brighter, and I wanted the brightness all the time but it may be greedy.
HID kit is expensive and still can't decide to go on it.
c-m wrote:
Most older bikes with twin headlights use H4 twin filament bulbs meaning both will be on during both high beam and low beam.

Newer bikes tend to use H7 bulbs which are more efficient. However they require a separate bulb for high beam and low beam.

Personally I'm not convinced that twin headlights perform any better then a single headlamp. It's all about the quality of the reflector.

Often twin headlight bikes have a smaller less effective reflector, so all you're really doing is just consuming an extra 60w of power.

Best headlights I've come across in the past few years are the Aprilia Falco (single headlight), and VFR800 (twin head light)

LEDs are on the way, but they aren't that efficient compared to HID or even a regular H7 bulb. You'd want minimum of 2000 lumens, and at that output you're going to need 35-55w plus a ballast pack (similar to HID) and cooling. You also need to contend with the fact they don't often project as well.

Thanks for letting me know about bulbs, that H7 bulbs used for newer models are more efficient than H4 twin filament bulbs. It may be better having bright one light than dark two lights all the time.
VFR800 seemed to have four lights for me, that was why! Aprilia Falco has large reflector too. It may be better for Full fairing models to have larger reflectors.
I find many HID kit users here, but haven't seen any LED kit users yet.
edit : LED bulbs were sold here too! I didn't know about it Embarassed

Last edited by kawashima on 16:57 - 25 Jan 2014; edited 1 time in total

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In the dark, a motorcycle with twin headlights close together can also appear very like a distant car.

People at a junction pull out thinking they have plenty of time only to find a motorcycle right on top of them.

I believe that's why there was a trend for eccentric headlights like the BMW GS:
https://www.r1200gs.info/photos/originals/R1200GS-headlights.jpg

Or vertically stacked twin headlights like on the Hayabusa:
https://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/349332-3/2012-Suzuki-Hayabusa-1340-Headlights.jpg

This was very informative for me. Thanks for letting me know about this stinkwheel. This is really a negative point for rider's safety at night, thinking about this(other road user regards me as a distant car) is really scary!
It reminded me of your post that "when approaching a crossing, you should make a zig-zag so that driver think you are on a bike". I'm sometimes doing this.
Copycat73 wrote:
kawashima wrote:

both my R1 & ZZR14 have a twin headlight set-up,
both work well & give better wider illumination than a single bulb.

I'm just envious you have R1 and ZZR14! Both R1 and ZZR14 has projector head lumps and looks cool too Thumbs Up
Only top end range models can have such nice light systems regardless of manufacturing costs Thumbs Up

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kawashima don't get caught up on the efficiencies of H4 v H7.H7 is better but the margins are small, and it's not worth the effort to convert from one setup to the other.

As mentioned it really all about the quality of the reflector, and that's something that you often can't change, hence why people go searching for the brightest bulbs they can find (philips x-treme vision).

Projector headlights are something else. I can't think of a single projector setup using conventional bulbs that owners don't moan about. The Triumph ones are particularly bad.

If your motorcycle has projector headlights your best bet is install a HID kit. While reflectors aren't optimised for light pattern and output of HIDs, projectors actually work very well with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bike I have had since the CG has twin H4 headlights in pretty damned good reflectors, and you can definitely tell when one bulb blows.. But you have another so can ride on at night Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a w reg (1999 I think) Fazer 600 that has the worst lights in Christendom. The low beam on one light and the high beam on the other. At night, if I am on that, I crawl along in the gutter it's so bad.

FergieinFranc...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:12 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sprint, when l bought it (off a policeman) here in France, had single dip and single full beam.
He said that European regs dictated it, because at night, viewed from a distance with twin lights, it could be mistaken for a car some way off, and could result in a vehicle pulling out in front of you. That's the theory....however, it didn't stop me buying a pair of relays, plugging then into the loom and having both twin dip and twin main, as per normal UK.spec. Day time riding with just one dip beam can be just as dangerous if the bulb blew, you've no back up, thats my reason for having the twin set up, and I've not been pulled..yet

You don't scare me....I've got a daughter...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have a w reg (1999 I think) Fazer 600 that has the worst lights in Christendom. The low beam on one light and the high beam on the other. At night, if I am on that, I crawl along in the gutter it's so bad.

The FZS600 is well known for this. There is a common mod done by those in the know. Visit https://www.foc-u.co.uk/ to find out more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have 2 lights on the ZXR, one for low beam and one for high beam. I did one night run and it was not good at all. I'm gonna change the bubls and will see. I already got new high beam, it's 100w , the original was 55w I think, I couldn't get yellow 55w. If it won't be any good then I'm gonna put in an average 55w bulb and yellow foil over the light. Thumbs Up

I like the idea, having separate headlights to reduce the power consumption and still having the option to turn the second light on. Thumbs Up

My mate has a '99 CBR900RR, there are two BIG lamps with H4 bulbs and his bike really brightens up the road, even with low beam. Once, he went couple of meters behind me I turned off my headlight and there was no difference. I tried OFF, low beam and high been, nothing, it was the same. The GPz was the worst, when I had to ride it at night. Laughing

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/ZX7R/DSC02253_zpscf43e97f.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:15 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted twin 8" diameter Cibie conical projector spots on my MZ. They took H1 bulbs.

I had one for dip with an 85w bulb which was dipped off to the left. The other had a 100W bulb and was aimed straight down the middle. Both on for full beam. I had one of those polychromatic projector fog lights for a position light.

Had to replace all other bulbs with LED to reduce the draw on the charging system.

Oddly, one flash was sufficient to make any oncoming vehicle dip its lights.

Don't have any pictures of that bike other than this one (which doesn't really show the lights).
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/Glentrool_2005_15.jpg

The problem was, under heavy braking, the forks dived so much you couldn't see anything on dip. If it hadn't been stolen, I was planning to fit a pressure switch on the front brake line that would put the full beam on under heavy braking.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:28 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja designs used to be big on the twin 8" lights - these are HID I believe.
https://images.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/12_yamaha_WR450F_ProjectBike_14.jpg

However, they're now more on LED.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/imagelib/image-products/ktmrally_1sm.jpg?sfvrsn=2

However, charging a pretty horrendous amount - considering my torch has 12 rather than 8 of the similar LEDs and cost me £65 or so. In this case the LED lights are about twice as bright as my torch - but the torch can be upgraded too... however am limited by batteries.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

FergieinFrance wrote:
My Sprint, when l bought it (off a policeman) here in France, had single dip and single full beam.
He said that European regs dictated it, because at night, viewed from a distance with twin lights, it could be mistaken for a car some way off, and could result in a vehicle pulling out in front of you. That's the theory....however, it didn't stop me buying a pair of relays, plugging then into the loom and having both twin dip and twin main, as per normal UK.spec. Day time riding with just one dip beam can be just as dangerous if the bulb blew, you've no back up, thats my reason for having the twin set up, and I've not been pulled..yet

Why would a vehicle pull out in front of a car?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:

Why would a vehicle pull out in front of a car?

This motorcycle is very small. The car is far away.

SMALL.

Faar Awaaayyy.

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/vh5kZ4uIUC0/hqdefault.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they wouldn't be infront of the car, they would believe the car is a long way away.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projectorrrrrs

Better than twins (headlights, not sisters)

https://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/duncdmc/911715_10200447065052918_53120628_n_zpsd65f0a2e.jpg

https://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/duncdmc/913249_10200447068573006_1060294107_n_zps86aa7b77.jpg

And this is the dipped beam (the bottom one, top is full beam)

https://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/duncdmc/1373784_10201360658572185_1191821718_n_zps3fce613b.jpg

Very bright, perfectly flat beam pattern, lights up the road brilliantly.

I am thinking about getting an HID kit for it...

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...

Last edited by dextersaurus on 23:28 - 26 Jan 2014; edited 1 time in total

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
Every bike I have had since the CG has twin H4 headlights in pretty damned good reflectors, and you can definitely tell when one bulb blows.. But you have another so can ride on at night Thumbs Up

I agree. I want another bulb for insurance too.
I experienced having one bulb blew on one light bike. It was daytime and I was lucky.
FergieinFrance wrote:

Triumph sprint of UK spec had both twin dip and twin main, and European regs are changed into single dip and single full. I didn't know this Thanks!
I sometimes wonder the same thing, if my single dip blows, I must stick my full beam switch with vinyl tape (and tape on the light).

RhynoCZ wrote:
I also have 2 lights on the ZXR, one for low beam and one for high beam. I did one night run and it was not good at all. I'm gonna change the bubls and will see. I already got new high beam, it's 100w , the original was 55w I think, I couldn't get yellow 55w. If it won't be any good then I'm gonna put in an average 55w bulb and yellow foil over the light. Thumbs Up

I like the idea, having separate headlights to reduce the power consumption and still having the option to turn the second light on. Thumbs Up

My mate has a '99 CBR900RR, there are two BIG lamps with H4 bulbs and his bike really brightens up the road, even with low beam. Once, he went couple of meters behind me I turned off my headlight and there was no difference. I tried OFF, low beam and high been, nothing, it was the same. The GPz was the worst, when I had to ride it at night. Laughing

CBR900 has huge reflectors but it has such a bright light!
I didn't know there was such a difference between two bikes.
But ZXR750 really looks like a racer especially for that small lights Thumbs Up

stinkwheel wrote:
I fitted twin 8" diameter Cibie conical projector spots on my MZ. They took H1 bulbs.

I had one for dip with an 85w bulb which was dipped off to the left. The other had a 100W bulb and was aimed straight down the middle. Both on for full beam. I had one of those polychromatic projector fog lights for a position light.

Had to replace all other bulbs with LED to reduce the draw on the charging system.

Oddly, one flash was sufficient to make any oncoming vehicle dip its lights.

Don't have any pictures of that bike other than this one (which doesn't really show the lights).
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/Glentrool_2005_15.jpg

The problem was, under heavy braking, the forks dived so much you couldn't see anything on dip. If it hadn't been stolen, I was planning to fit a pressure switch on the front brake line that would put the full beam on under heavy braking.

It has huge head lights Shocked
LED bulbs are also good for reducing the electricity and still so bright!
It's shame someone stole your bike Sad

G wrote:
Baja designs used to be big on the twin 8" lights - these are HID I believe.
https://images.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/12_yamaha_WR450F_ProjectBike_14.jpg

However, they're now more on LED.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/imagelib/image-products/ktmrally_1sm.jpg?sfvrsn=2

However, charging a pretty horrendous amount - considering my torch has 12 rather than 8 of the similar LEDs and cost me £65 or so. In this case the LED lights are about twice as bright as my torch - but the torch can be upgraded too... however am limited by batteries.

This light system must be so bright! It's sad normal off road bikes usually have dark head lights. Honda should make Baja again.

Mr Dunkable wrote:
Projectorrrrrs

Better than twins (headlights, not sisters)

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/913249_10200447068573006_1060294107_n.jpg

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/911715_10200447065052918_53120628_n.jpg

And this is the dipped beam (the bottom one, top is full beam)

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/1373784_10201360658572185_1191821718_n.jpg

Very bright, perfectly flat beam pattern, lights up the road brilliantly.

I am thinking about getting an HID kit for it...

Thanks for posting the pic of your bike with the projector on. It looks much brighter than I was thinking.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m593/Kramdra/IMG_20130705_145542_zpsbdcd39ae.jpg

Left - Suzuki DL650, Right, CBR600F 2002

The DL650 has dual filament bulbs sharing a reflector. I would guess half the light is wasted. CBR6 has a dedicated reflector for each beam and is far brighter than the DL650, which uses twice as much power Laughing

I also think the DL650 is ugly and also quite confusing when its behind me, trying to decide if its a car or bike (the rider is slow, often waiting for him to catch up).

Big, dedicated reflectors with H7 bulbs win imo. Newer bikes seem to have got smaller reflectors, probably for looks.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
https://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m593/Kramdra/IMG_20130705_145542_zpsbdcd39ae.jpg

Left - Suzuki DL650, Right, CBR600F 2002

The DL650 has dual filament bulbs sharing a reflector. I would guess half the light is wasted. CBR6 has a dedicated reflector for each beam and is far brighter than the DL650, which uses twice as much power Laughing

I also think the DL650 is ugly and also quite confusing when its behind me, trying to decide if its a car or bike (the rider is slow, often waiting for him to catch up).

Big, dedicated reflectors with H7 bulbs win imo. Newer bikes seem to have got smaller reflectors, probably for looks.

Thanks for you picture. CBR600 has huge reflectors!
Large CBR series seem to have bright head lights.
I noticed that my TDM900 also have H7 bulbs(55W*2).
I might be a little bit greedy for the brightness.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Exup1000 and the R1 have twin H4 bulbs fitted.But for daytime riding I disconnect the left bulb and ride with just the single headlight on.I was questioned about this by plod last year when at the Oakdene cafe and I pointed out that if a car was to see two headlights close together they might think that the vehicle was a car and pull out into my path.But if the other vehicle driver was to see a single headlight,they MIGHT...MIGHT think again,thinking 'Motorbike' and stay put.But at night I reconnect the left bulb as the extra illumination is worthwhile.

Many years ago I had a bad experience of a single headlight on my Honda 750,when both filaments blew while riding a bit quickly at night.The Cibie 'Z' beam unit was a worthy investment in those days,but when I was pitched into absolute darkness I was lucky that my brother was riding with me and he saved the situation by switching his lights to main beam.Not long afterwards I fitted a twin headlight fairing to the bike

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/BikesBikesBikes294.jpg
https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/BikesBikesBikes163-1.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2