Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Strange People

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:14 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Strange People Reply with quote

Now I understand that visordown.com maybe closed for a few days but does that really mean that they have to let their normal 'clients' out and about on the WWW. I am getting rather scared by the strange people that keep turning up and they are getting stranger by the hour. They seem to be attracted like moths to a lightbulb

/me goes and turns off the light and sends for the men in white coats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WILDECELT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:20 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm outside you door

Do you have meat hooks? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:24 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen anything about that on Visor Down, and it was down earlier today but that was only whilst they were doing upgrades to the forum software. And their normal "clients" as you refer to them, are able to go anywhere on the web anyway.

The people who have been joining here recently, yes there have been some rather odd people about, but they are not striking me as "Visor Down" types of people (well, other than in the thread about the font Laughing ) they just seem to be n00b like Laughing . I'm sure they'll settle down at some point, or as no one is making you be here, if you don't like it you are free to leave if you want to and that's better than sitting and moaning about it being crap and how the people here are too strange. Thumbs Down

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:27 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

......err.....I just joined........and found my way here via Visordown...... Confused

....can't say I will be limiting myself to either forum.....it is a big world out there........with room enough for all....

......although the chat here looks quite busy .........20 users at 00:30..... Very Happy

Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:30 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is possible to be part of more than one forum you know, and there is room for both forums I believe. (just don't let sheepy anywhere near here!) Laughing

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:32 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just surprised that I hadn't been here before.........

........I could have sworn I joined a year or so ago......

.......but couldn't find my name on the "list"........

.....oh well........back now........ Very Happy

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:36 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it is possible to be part of more than one forum you know

Indeed so.

Quote:
if you don't like it you are free to leave if you want to and that's better than sitting and moaning about it being crap and how the people here are too strange.

And that as well.

It just struck me that having started with the 'cowboy' earlier in the evening some posts were getting more bizarre than usual.

And as for the topic it wasn't meant to be serious or a moan merely an observation! (make of that what you will)

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The people who have been joining here recently, yes there have been some rather odd people about, but they are not striking me as "Visor Down" types of people they just seem to be n00b like Laughing .

The thing that fuels this site is the way in which google returns text from threads when searching. There are many people who open up google and bang in "nsr125 go faster" and get directed here as a result of others making such threads.

The downside of thread content being returned in google searches is that not everyone who uses google is proficient in the use of technology or is especially blessed int he brains or comoon sense departments. so when searching for "nsr125 go faster" and being directed here, rather than searching here, they decide to make a thread and hope that the answers will come to them.

This isnt aimed at anyone in perticular, its just an example of how this site will continue to grow, however the type of users most likely to join and be highly vocal from the start are not likely to be the type of users you would ideally populate a message board with.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:41 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the recent strangeness can be put down to everyone being inside due to the rain as opposed to out on their bikes enjoying the summer.

Fair enough about it not being a moan, and yeah reading back over your first post again you're not moaning you're simply making an observation. Thumbs Up

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:44 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the recent strangeness can be put down to everyone being inside due to the rain

I did manage to get out to Sherburn (Up North) last night between rain showers but it was very quiet. I think there is a sense of us missing out on summer riding time however it is a dry forcast for the weekend (Fingers crossed).

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:47 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing that fuels this site is the way in which google returns text from threads when searching.

Yes i've noticed that when searching for bike stuff, but it is all Korn's fault and his ebay manuals that i ended up here.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coldest july day on record, a year after the hottest day ever on record. One way or another we have royally fucked up this planet Confused

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:50 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter-me...........

..400 miles a week........rain/snow/shine.......etc, etc.......

.....and love every minute of it........... Very Happy Very Happy

......I am still surprised (and I shouldn't be) at the apparent lack of social grace demonstrated by some people (e.g. come on here, don't read the posting instructions, and start demanding answers)....... Shocked

zaknafien

PostPosted: 01:55 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma is really going to hate you soon with all those full stops.

Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:57 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just like in real life you get people who do that in day to day life, we now also have to put up with them on the internet. I'm sure they'll get bored soon, or will one day learn some common sense. Or perhaps not which is more likely I believe Laughing .

400 miles a week can't be enjoyable in some of the weather we get, I get fed up enough with my 10 minute ride to work each day some time, although if it was a 40 mile trip I think I'd probably have got a slightly more commuter bike but that could take half the fun of riding to and from work away? Confused (doh)

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:58 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
Karma is really going to hate you soon with all those full stops.

Shocked

......really......oh no.........it has always been a bit of a "trademark" wherever I post.....or email..... Embarassed

I just use them as "pauses for thought"........ Confused

...can allowances be made.........? Very Happy

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a thing some people do when they are incapable of forming their thoughts into structured sentances. You get used to it after a while, provided they are not too random Wink

Worst thing i ever saw somebody do on a forum was use brackets when talking.

he did it like this (used brackets i mean (lol)(was very annoy(as you couldnt understand what he was saying)(unless you were a programmer and were used to it (lolz) (think he might have been a programmer ( Thinking )))))

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:01 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
400 miles a week can't be enjoyable in some of the weather we get, (doh)

It isn't too bad......I get a good mix of roads.......from Essex village into London...and back again....80 miles a day.

First 5 or 6 miles is country bends, nice.

Then for 20 or so miles of A12 dual carriageway shennanigans......

.....then the filter-mad-don't-lose-concentration-for-a-second London rush into the City (well, Old Street Roundabout)..... Thumbs Up

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:03 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
Its a thing some people do when they are incapable of forming their thoughts into structured sentances.

Harsh but fair....... Confused Wink

I will have to try to cut down on it.....I can see how the brackets would annoy though. Very Happy

(edited, it is late)..........

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:09 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bracket just make it impossible to follow the text really. The full stop don't, as you just read them as like a pause or something, like people do pause when speaking.

What bike do you use which manages to put up with all that lot then? Your local tyre shop must like you as you're probably one of their best customers I reckon Laughing . Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an insult, more an observation. I've seen alot of people do it both on message boards and it chat rooms. you dont see the point of thinking for a few seconds and typing:

It isn't too bad, i get a good mixture of roads when traveling 80 miles from Essex village into London and back again each day
when you could just start typing right away and write as you think:

It isn't too bad......I get a good mix of roads.......from Essex village into London...and back again....80 miles a day.

I've seen alot worse styles of typing than yours, i just find it interesting to see what people do and why Razz

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:11 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundercat Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Really is a cracking bike....fast....furious....but comfy and economical..

Oh, and I have dropped a tooth on the front sprocket to scare all those super-sports riders .. Very Happy Very Happy

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:29 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ava_Banana wrote:
Old Street Roundabout

*shudder*

Don't know if it was just me, but the drivers over in that part of London seemed to be even more psychotic than the ones over my end of town.

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:40 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is strange just different from ourselves.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 11:37 - 09 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ava_Banana wrote:
Thundercat Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Really is a cracking bike....fast....furious....but comfy and economical..

Oh, and I have dropped a tooth on the front sprocket to scare all those super-sports riders .. Very Happy Very Happy

You didn't used to ride a CB500 did you?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2