Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A guide to road registering your offroader - How I did it.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TwoWheelsDail...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful!

MODS PLEASE STICKY!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:08 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoWheelsDaily wrote:
Very helpful!

MODS PLEASE STICKY!

Agreed, it will also assist those who are wanting to register pits, although they would more than likely require SVA as you cannot register as "enduro" Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ian505050
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:32 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an offroad bike with lights fitted as standard you just need to tape up the lights for the MOT and then pull the tape of the lights as soon as it has passed. You also need to cover any switchgear for the lights with tape.

I don't believe that you can use a bike with 'daylight restrictions' when its dark until the lighting fitted to the bike has been tested at an MOT centre.

You would also need a rear brake light and indicators fitted to the bike if you was to use the bike atnight i believe.

Any bike with with a 'daylight restriction' can only be used up to 30 minutes before sundown and 30 minutes after sunrise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:37 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian505050 wrote:
I don't believe that you can use a bike with 'daylight restrictions' when its dark until the lighting fitted to the bike has been tested at an MOT centre.

You would also need a rear brake light and indicators fitted to the bike if you was to use the bike atnight i believe.

It is an advisory, would you go back to have the head bearings checked? Nope, same with lights.

You would need ALL lights aside from indicators if you were using at night Thumbs Up

stuartt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at a 450 crf buildbase , the dealer said theres no way it could ever be registered for the road is that true ?

or could it be registered doing what you did ?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:13 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can road reg a CRF450, same as iain did.

stuartt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks .

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:50 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Quote:
Any bike with with a 'daylight restriction' can only be used up to 30 minutes before sundown and 30 minutes after sunrise.

Erm, no again. At any time when you'd use lights if fitted its illegal to ride it.

He is quite right, it does state you can ride half hour either side... Thumbs Up

Highway Code 113 wrote:

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).
Laws RVLR regs 3, 24, & 25, (In Scotland - RTRA 1984 sect 82 (as amended by NRSWA, para 59 of sched 8))

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:04 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Interesting that darkness is defined as starting half an hour after the sun goes down.

All the best

Keith

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:05 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Interesting that darkness is defined as starting half an hour after the sun goes down.

All the best

Keith

Daytime MOT where the sun never sets Laughing

Legally then, I could jump on my old monkey bike at about 6.40am, )in darkness Laughing ) Then ride to work Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:10 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police barely know left from right Laughing

Definitely grey though... I'd probably write a quick guide with common questions regarding MOTs and quick fixes. I'd probably get beaten with the quick fixes Shocked

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:23 - 03 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
it entirely depends on what the officer deems sunrise and sunset - which greatly varies depending on how much of a cock he's being Laughing

Think the time is defined. BBC new weather site gives the times for a location for example.

All the best

Keith

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent how to thread!

My only question is why there is a 900mm min seat height rule and 300mm ground clearance stipulation for road registering an off roader? Surely this will leave a lot of play bikes and less competition derived machinery out, unless this is the intention?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:37 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Horn, rear reflector and numberplate for a daylight MOT.

Rear reflector eh? Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:13 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Yes. A rear reflector is required even running daylight use only.

Not required Wink

MOT, 1.5 under lighting.

Quote:
Rear reflectors are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A)

Although if fitted, should be central Neutral

Party at my place, reflectors need not apply. Dance!

ian505050
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:53 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
ian505050 wrote:
If you have an offroad bike with lights fitted as standard you just need to tape up the lights for the MOT and then pull the tape of the lights as soon as it has passed. You also need to cover any switchgear for the lights with tape.

Wrong. If it is enduro registered it can have lights legally, merely easier to pass an MOT without them there. Lights have to be E-marked

I am a little confused, i was on the understanding that they had to be taped up.

Quote:
don't believe that you can use a bike with 'daylight restrictions' when its dark until the lighting fitted to the bike has been tested at an MOT centre.

Again, no. Its an advisory. You dont have to re-mot for a tyre that gets a low tread advisory.

Yes, but you are fitting an component to the bike that the MOT tester is unable to check is safe or legal. Where as the tyre is physically fitted to the bike when the MOT test is performed and the MOT tester can make a decision as he can physically see/check the tyre. You could fit lights to your bike that do not meet the legal requirements or could be a hazard to others.

Quote:

Nope, if you run lights indicators are optional on an enduro registered bike. You would require sidelight, dip/main beam, a brake light and a tail light all E-marked and the headlight beam would need apropriate adjustment.

cant remember where i read you needed indicators, but i am sure i have seen it somewhere

Quote:

Erm, no again. At any time when you'd use lights if fitted its illegal to ride it.

I am 99% sure this is correct. I am sure there is a legal definition that states time somewhere.

Quote:
i was looking at a 450 crf buildbase , the dealer said theres no way it could ever be registered for the road is that true ?

The CRF is fine, any full size motocross, trail or enduro bike is fine. Anything with a ground clearance of at least 310mm and a seat height of at least 900mm is also fine to be road registered in this way as it goes.

ian505050
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:56 - 04 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
_Iain_ wrote:
Yes. A rear reflector is required even running daylight use only.

Not required Wink

MOT, 1.5 under lighting.

Quote:
Rear reflectors are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A)

Although if fitted, should be central Neutral

Party at my place, reflectors need not apply. Dance!

You may be correct on that one paddy but i am sure it states somewhere that you need a reflector fitted to leave your vehicle parked on a main road on a night. I guess if you park in the garage its not an issue.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:54 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say that anywhere, you require sidelights if you park on a road that is marked above 30mph. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3