Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A guide to road registering your offroader - How I did it.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
So, six years on

Interesting just looking at doing mine as well - m2r 140 set up for SM. How much was yours to insure/tax? Weighing up whether it's worth it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:40 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to have a 125cc engine, then the tax is £17 a year, so not at all bad! The insurance was around £200, but this was with no NCB to put on it, and my shed isnt classified as a garage which won't have helped.

Notes for YX140 engines in roadgoing bikes;

I did find that the factory Molkt carb was a bit crappy with part throttle openings, so worthwhile getting a genuine Mikuni. The 'pre jetted' mikuni carb was very lean on the needle causing 1/4 throttle misfires till the clip was set to the lowest position. The main jet is also a little bit lean so its worth getting a jet kit around the 100-120 range to have a play with.

Throw the stock coil in the bin and replace it with a Splitfire coil setup. It wont add any extra power, but it also wont cut out at the first hint of rain. The stock cap isnt waterproof weirdly enough. Make sure whoever put the bike together faced the coil connections towards the rear of the bike or they take on water very quickly and cause the bike to cut out, i had to turn mine around.

The rear crankcase breather is a nightmare and will chuck a lot of oil (around half a litre in my case) all over the rear tyre when you run the engine at high RPM for a long time. Its fine bimbling around, but when you crack on it does chuck it out! Use a 10mm hose on ebay £2 for half a metre to extend the breather into a catch can, or route it high up and put a car crankcase breather filter on the end.

The dipsticks dont read anything accurately. This is especially bad as overfilling it makes the rear breather issue a lot worse. 800ml of 10w40, dont use cheap car oil as I tried Tescos stuff as well as some old Quantum oil and got clutch slip badly. Filled it up with some Motrex oil left over from the KTM and no more clutch slips. Cheapest nastiest bike specific oil you can find.

Fit an inline fuel filter. My tank was filthy from offroad use and grubby fuel cans so fouled the carb quickly. Most are probbably going to be the same, for the sake of £1 its a no brainer, ive not had any issues with fuel flow at all.

Talons 30T rear sprocket is good for 65-70mph on the GPS with the factory front sprocket. Im fat, and it feels like the bike cant quite max out 4th on the flat so its about where it needs to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:15 - 21 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that! I've taken the carb apart already a couple of times as it was running like arse when I got it, seems to be better now but I can't tell much from just running it around the road outside my house... valve clearances were mega tight before as well which didn't help the cold start, now set properly and it's like a different bike. I'll have to get it under some proper load to see what it's behaving like.

I'm hoping as it's a British company that built it its NOVA registered already so trying to get the details out of them now.

Did you ever jave to go through the inectiom steps when you registered it? Just put a tape ,easier on mime and ground clearance is 280mm (with catch tray) and seat height is 840mm so in between enduro and trials
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I diddnt get inspected, no.

Plan was to fit a seat base with no foam to get the seat height down, and fill the tank with marbles to reduce capacity. Seemed the easiest/cheapest solution!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
fill the tank with marbles to reduce capacity.

Shocked Laughing

Love to be fly on the wall when a tank full of marbles actually does get inspected.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:03 - 23 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Iain. wrote:
fill the tank with marbles to reduce capacity.

Shocked Laughing

Love to be fly on the wall when a tank full of marbles actually does get inspected.

Is similar to how I got my TTR listed as 33hp. Socks in the airbox, 9 pairs of them.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra high seat base it is then, crf110 based so no hope of being a trials. Sent the paperwork off to NOVA now so fingers crossed, the manufacturer of the bike was zero help at giving me any info about it so will have to be a Q plate

Incidentally, autocorrect on my last post doesn't look like it worked! Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3