Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Warm it up or ride it cold?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PostPosted: 15:00 - 11 Mar 2002    Post subject: Warm it up or ride it cold? Reply with quote

I was talkin to a guy who works at La Moto motorcycles in Wigan. I always sit there with my bike for about 5 mins with the engine running and rev it- but not too hard. Anyway he told me the best way to warm it up is to ride it "straight away" (cold) - but keeping revs down - to warm all of the engine up, and then ride it properly after about 10 mins. He said it doesn't do much sitting there reving the bike without actually moving. Is this true- or does it sound risky???
You must be logged in to rate posts

GE
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:03 - 11 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't log in!

crash
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 11 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i warm it to 6oc then take of and warm it up gently as i go along , u thrash it from cold ,u 'll know what will happen

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 11 Mar 2002    Post subject: true Reply with quote

i warm it up for a few minutes then ride it at low revs then rag it!!

best way!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say ride off almost immediatly, but keep the revs down until it is up to temp. Just idling will not warm the bike up much, so all you are really gaining is a shorter plug life

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 12 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

what happens if you thrash it from cold

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

James
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:31 - 12 Mar 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

The NSR barrel is Nikasil plated and as far as i know if you thrash from cold it wears the barrel, you also run the risk of scratching or scoreing the plating. Thats something you dont wanna do with a £150 top end.
I usually take the choke off a few seconds after ive got the bike started, then ride straight away. I get into higher gears as quick as i can and keep the revs well below 4k. This puts the engine under load and warms it quicker. after about 4 minutes of that the bike feels a bit choked up so i open it upto about 10.5k in second and third and the bike is fine then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 12 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
when i start my bike i usually ride straight off and when i rev it the engine srtruggles coughs out a load of smoke and then its fine is this a bad thing to do

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GasGas
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 12 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start on the choke, go back in the house to get my lid on, just enought ime to lock the door and kick the cat before it stalls, gently rev it until it idles without choke. tickover for 1 minutes and then ride off and stop 1 mile away from home, I dont care who I wake up there while I warm it up properly. I have found my bike runs smoother quicker when warmed up whilst gently riding. However, it does smoke but only when on the choke, Is that normal, or is the mixture wrong? anyone?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:14 - 13 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrofly wrote:

what happens if you thrash it from cold

When cold the clearances are all over the place (for example a piston is not round when cold, but due to the varying thickness of metal it will expand at different rates in different directions, so as it warms up it becomes round), and you stand a chance of a cold seizure (basically where the piston wedges at a slight angle in the barrel and stops dead) or a ring getting caught in a port (which is likely to snap, and then the remains damage the barrel).

All the best

Keith

Lasse
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:55 - 13 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

GasGas wrote:

However, it does smoke but only when on the choke, Is that normal, or is the mixture wrong? anyone?

I guess it's normal with some smoke when warming up because my 2001 has done it since i bought it new.
It also make sense even with the best 2 stroke oil from cold condition.
Lasse
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1