Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


which type of levers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: which type of levers? Reply with quote

I want some new brake and clutch levers for my ZZR600. I don't know whether I want the standard full length ones or the shorter type.

What are the major differences here? I've only ever ridden with the longer type so have no clue about the feel difference the shorter ones will give.

Help please
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply it's down to your personal preference.

I hate using short levers, may be my hands not sure but I just can't get on with them.

Looks wise my preference is for a nice after market long lever, though I admit after market shorties can look very good too.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I vastly prefer shorter ones - I have quite small hands though Whistle

I find they're a lot less tiresome to use for extended periods, especially if you're about city traffic having to clutch and adjust speed a lot in congestion thats hard to filter through etc. Theres the usual expensive options like titax and pazzo etc. I've used cheap chinese ones on my current and last bike without any issues, cost about 30-40 quid for the set vs 100 plus for a lot of the 'good quality' ones.

Adjustable ones are good to have whether you decide on normal length ones or shortys. Gives that little extra customisation choice for your grasp and hand size. You can also get quite a few now days with adjustable lengths as well where the screw on the outer area lets you slide that section in and out - haven't used them myself though.
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server6000/5e84f/products/1344/images/12279/Adjust-BrakeClutch-Black-3__28913.1328694192.1280.1280.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have smallish hands and prefer shorty levers, with longer ones I end up using 2 fingers anyway. But yea, personal preference really.
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's my trouble I like the look of the shorty ones and right now, when I try to use a couple of fingers, I just trap my other fingers on the grip so I can't give it a go, if you know what I mean.

I do have quite small hands so I reckon I could fit 3 fingers on the short - 2 fingered ones.

I'll probably take a punt on some shorty ones but maybe keep my eye out for some adjustable ones too so I could change it if I didn't like it.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fozzym
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with short levers is too I trap my fingers on the clutch side against the bar.

I have small hands so I don't think small hands = good for short levers. I think its more the way you position your hands and your style of operating the levers

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoosnoo wrote:
Well that's my trouble I like the look of the shorty ones and right now, when I try to use a couple of fingers, I just trap my other fingers on the grip so I can't give it a go, if you know what I mean.

I do have quite small hands so I reckon I could fit 3 fingers on the short - 2 fingered ones.

I'll probably take a punt on some shorty ones but maybe keep my eye out for some adjustable ones too so I could change it if I didn't like it.
I think it depends a lot how you hold it - or more how used to holding longer ones you are. I tend to sort of 'hang' my outer fingers [one or two usually] off the end of the lever in the air and have them flexing slightly.

Might not be comfortable for everyone though. If you have to flex them all equally like you would around a longer lever you're likely to end up nipping and squishing your fingers regularly I would expect. That being said I can even use all four fingers on the shortys if I really cram my grip around every bit of the lever, they're not as short as they look if you adjust them outwards so you have more flex space for the outer fingers to get a good grip.

The reason I avoided the adjustable-length ones was I worried there might be potential for the holding screw to come loose with regular use. Wouldn't be nice going to grab a load of brake suddenly and having the entire lever length slip inwards Shifty probably being paranoid though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got biggish hands and find the short levers much nicer to use than the oem long levers.
Got mine off ebay, cheapo CNC span adjustable ones. I'd seen a set reviewed on youtube and went for ones that looked the same. I was as impressed as the youtube man. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iMark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31/1617451_10153734548235075_884328025_o.jpg

£27 posted... Mr. Green

Love em, even though they are green Very Happy

They are shiny green but the picture makes them look a matte colour for some reason.. Razz
____________________
K8 GSXR 1000
"G" : you got him to have a look at a forum which seems to have established a picture of an erect penis in a cat's mouth as it's mascot and thought he might consider it ok?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had shortys on my Hornet and now long levers on my CBR and I much prefer the longer ones.

The shorty levers always felt like I was missing half the lever, which I essentially was, and wasn't nice having to hold the clutch in for longer periods of time around town slow maneuvering.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 06 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's input, I think I'm gonna go for it and have a punt. There's many on ebay for my bike for 20quid, if I don't like the short ones, I'll just buy some longer ones and sell the short ones to someone else with one of the bikes they'll fit.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 75.88 Kb