Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


remote desktop problem due to windows Versions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: remote desktop problem due to windows Versions Reply with quote

Ok I need to remote desktop my laptop from my PC, should be easy but its not

I can control my PC from my laptop no problem but can't go the other way
I think its because my laptop has windows 7 Home edition but my PC has & ultimate
after searching around I found this



Quote:
You can use a PC running any edition of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, or a PC running Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 to initiate a connection. But the remote PC must be running one of these Windows operating systems:

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Windows 8 Enterprise

Windows 8 Pro

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows XP Professional


anyone know of a way around this without having to install 3rd party software
as if thats the case I'll just upgrade my laptop to Ultimate
I'd rather not as I've had it for 3 years so a lot of software & tweaks have been added
and I will have forgotten how I did half of them or where I got the software from

and WTF do they have a allow remote desktop button in the home edition if you can't remote to it ?????
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

LogMeIn

Splashtop

TeamViewer

RealVNC

I personally use TeamViewer for remote access to work computers from home.


Edit: Sorry, didn't see that you said you didn't want 3rd party software.
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is restricted to the non home versions.

Reason, Microshaft + Money. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will fix your issue but I've been playing with uvnc, server and viewer. Needs to be run as administrator on win 7/8 home edition iirc.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamviewer will do the job but there is other issues between the versions
you can't easily set up a network drive as Windows wants to use its file sharing in home network
I want / need to be able to remote desktop and have mapable network drives
looks like I may need to upgrade the laptop, though I have a 500gb drive I could drop in then go back to my
current drive if I need to access something I don't have on the other setup
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the problem with 3rd party software? It's not like RealVNC or the alternatives are particularly invasive or resource-hungry.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
What's the problem with 3rd party software? It's not like RealVNC or the alternatives are particularly invasive or resource-hungry.


Indeed, I use CentraStage... perk of work really but the free version is pretty good too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
What's the problem with 3rd party software? It's not like RealVNC or the alternatives are particularly invasive or resource-hungry.


not a lot and I do use a lot of 3rd party software to get around windows issues / restrictions
but I will use the remote desktop from many different locations and PC's
so easier to have the windows remote available and for mapping WAN share drives when I need them

I've thrown in the 500gb and got it working fine via remote desktop now
and I can have a clean setup as I need as much space as possible as it will be used to capture Gb's of data for processing
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

do this on win7 home

https://andrewblock.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Concurrent_RDP_Win7_RTM_patcher_v1.1.zip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome Remote Desktop.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1649523?hl=en-GB
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:


I'll try that when I put my 7 home drive back in Thumbs Up

bazza
not a big fan of chrome, takes for ever to open things for me for some reason


pretty happy with this setup though as I have a lot more space and less crap that was pre installed with the home edition
as it will be running pretty much at its max capacity when in remote mode
it will be capturing high speed (up to 200 fps) video clips as well as another camera being used to track
and control a telescope with a couple of resource heavy programs running at the same time
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

derp, double post....

Last edited by CaNsA on 22:40 - 12 Feb 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
bazza
not a big fan of chrome, takes for ever to open things for me for some reason


I understand. Not everyone knows how to use a computer.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 13 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
oldpink wrote:
bazza
not a big fan of chrome, takes for ever to open things for me for some reason


I understand. Not everyone knows how to use a computer.


yeah I'm a bit of a newb to this lark
but I'd rather code and set up my own system rather than a one size fits all
I'm already experimenting with some custom code to allow me to control the equipment to its best
great for me as most software is open source I can work on and tweak to suite myself
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 88.07 Kb