Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How long on average does it take to pass the Motorbike test?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

markk21
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: How long on average does it take to pass the Motorbike test? Reply with quote

I know the times vary due to skill levels, time spent on lessons etc. but is there an average of how long it usually takes people to pass their test? I have always been told that it takes people on average 6 months to pass their car test.

I want to get an A2 licence. I passed my Car test 4 years ago so I have knowledge of the highway code and so on. I was thinking that I would like to pass it in the space of 2 months. Would this be possible?

I did something like: pass my CBT on the 1st June, Take 6 2hr lessons over the next 3 weeks, take my theory test, then take Mod 1 and Mod 2. Would the average learner be able to do this over the space of 2 months?

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 3 day direct access. Much more intensive than a few hours a day over a few weeks. Get out for 3 days and do the full 6 hour days.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: How long on average does it take to pass the Motorbike t Reply with quote

MarkK21 wrote:
I know the times vary due to skill levels, time spent on lessons etc. but is there an average of how long it usually takes people to pass their test? I have always been told that it takes people on average 6 months to pass their car test.


One of the key factors in getting your license these days is your age - for A2 you need to be >=19.

It's certainly very possible to pass your test in a couple of months. I started* riding mid July, passed my tests early september. So n00b -> test pass in ~2 months, although I only actually took a week to do the training at the end of that time.

I'm no spring chicken so if you're fairly young, in theory, you should be able to pick things up quickly.



*tiny bit of experience from 20 odd years ago, which doesn't really count
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alexknight200...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: average time to pass a test Reply with quote

Got bike in April2012 passed all tests by July 2012 and was not busting a gut over it.

Paid for CBT

Paid for theory

Paid for Mod 1

Paid for two lessons with an instructor to iron out any faults.

Downloaded test routes for my area and reconned as many routes as I could.

Paid for Mod2

Passed.

Simples really Laughing
____________________
Current stable: Yamaha XVS 650 1996 - Honda Super Magna VF750 1988.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lessons.....10 mins theory test....7 minutes mod1...30 mins mod 2.....

Licence gained in 47 mins and at a cost just over £100. (Sold my 125cc for £200 more than I paid so technically it cost me nothing to get a bike licence)
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From cbt to full licence - 4 weeks

If you do DAS (which I did) then obviously it speeds things up.

Edit :I was 37 at the time.
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:
No lessons.....10 mins theory test....7 minutes mod1...30 mins mod 2.....

Licence gained in 47 mins and at a cost just over £100. (Sold my 125cc for £200 more than I paid so technically it cost me nothing to get a bike licence)


That was fine in 2012 before the 3rd directive came in. A2 which the op is asking about is for the middle class bike. 395cc or higher, between 35 and 35KW output.

You cannot just roll up on the A2 bike to do a test, You can get someone to ride you to the test centre on the A2 bike, make sure you have insurance as a learner on the bike (good luck with that) or have the bike delivered to the test centre and make sure you have insurance.

Or be in contact with a qualified instructor on an A2 bike.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thepuma
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
thepuma wrote:
No lessons.....10 mins theory test....7 minutes mod1...30 mins mod 2.....

Licence gained in 47 mins and at a cost just over £100. (Sold my 125cc for £200 more than I paid so technically it cost me nothing to get a bike licence)


That was fine in 2012 before the 3rd directive came in. A2 which the op is asking about is for the middle class bike. 395cc or higher, between 35 and 35KW output.

You cannot just roll up on the A2 bike to do a test, You can get someone to ride you to the test centre on the A2 bike, make sure you have insurance as a learner on the bike (good luck with that) or have the bike delivered to the test centre and make sure you have insurance.

Or be in contact with a qualified instructor on an A2 bike.



Yeah..tis a little harder nowadays granted. Well, no so much harder but a little more costly.
____________________
YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Re: How long on average does it take to pass the Motorbike t Reply with quote

MarkK21 wrote:
I was thinking that I would like to pass it in the space of 2 months. Would this be possible?

You could pass it with 2 days training. People do. Or some people take months and several resits to get it. I know this isn't particularly helpful, but it really does come down to how well you take to it during the CBT, and how much of a hurry you're in.

I took my time and did it on my own 125 under the old rules. However under the current rules, I suggest that you just get it done and dusted ASAP, then consider that your learning really starts on your first solo ride, licensed or otherwise.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

markk21
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, really helpful. I'll just start in June if I can and see how it goes.

Does anyone know of any good bike Schools around the Liverpool, Manchester area? Also do most schools do a DAS course for the A2 licence?

Thanks,

Mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

331X2
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT in November then had a break until January to do my Mod 1 due to a miscommunication with the first school.

CBT - Did this on a Bandit 600 because I was going for DAS and they were happy with my initial control in the car park.

Mod 1 - Rode for an hour to the practice ground, 30 minutes practice, 2 mock tests, rode back for an hour with a bit of time waiting for the other bloke I was with to practice. Test day rode for 45 minutes to another test centre for my test, 45 minutes back.

Mod 2 - 4 hours training including riding to, from and around the test routes I would likely be taking, talked through show me, tell me questions. Test day rode to test centre, took test, rode back without radio and grinned like a loon all the way!

Before my CBT I had limited off road experience but nothing on the road, no 125 on L's or anything, I put the success down to a very good instructor and a bike that wasn't battered.

Mod 1 and 2 done on a late bandit 600, very easy bike to control for a n00b.

Good luck!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Garethj
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 02 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from complete novice to full license in 1 week, not including the theory which I did before.

Sat - CBT
Sun to Tue - DAS training
Tue afternoon - mod 1
Fri - mod 2

I hadn't initially booked the mod 2 in case I failed mod 1 ,but luckily there was a cancellation for the Friday.

You can book the mod 2 for straight after the mod 1, but if you fail mod 1 you won't be able to take the mod 2 which I believe is about £75 + bike hire/instructor time. I was told that you need to give at least 3 days notice to cancel mod 2 for a full refund.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

markk21
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.marriottmotorcycles.com/rider-training.aspx

I've found this school not too far from where I live and if you scroll down to where it says FULL COURSES in bold it says - Direct Access (CBT + 6x 2hr lessons) £400.00 (18hrs).

Is this just for someone who is 24+, who will be going for the A licence or does this mean that after completing my CBT on a Monday I could do the 6 lessons by the next Tuesday. The do my Theory on the Wednesday, Mod 1 on the Thursday and Mod 2 on the Friday. For £400 and the adding on the test costs?

Thanks,

Mark
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 minutes is pretty much average to pass the bike test in the UK

10 mins for mod 1
40 mins for mod
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

markk21
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilDawson8270 wrote:
50 minutes is pretty much average to pass the bike test in the UK

10 mins for mod 1
40 mins for mod


Sorry, I didn't literally mean how long does it take to pass the test. I meant with lessons, theory etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

markk21
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.Love.Chips wrote:
When you hear : "Well done mongo on passing your bike test" Mr. Green



Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkK21 wrote:
Is this just for someone who is 24+, who will be going for the A licence

The content of the A and A2 (and A1) tests are identical, so the training will be as well. Assume that anything that applies to "A" or "DAS" will apply to A2 - it's only the bike that's different.


MarkK21 wrote:
after completing my CBT on a Monday I could do the 6 lessons by the next Tuesday. The do my Theory on the Wednesday, Mod 1 on the Thursday and Mod 2 on the Friday. For £400 and the adding on the test costs?

Get the theory out of the way early. You need to have passed it before even booking mod 1 yourself and the training school won't want to assign you one of their pre-booked slots until you're ready to pass it.

As to how you get through those 12 hours of (post CBT) training, that's entirely up to you and the school to negotiate. Some people like to put in a couple of hours each weekend, some cram it in. That could be done as CBT, 2 x 6 hour training days, mod 1 or even both tests on day 4.

What I'd suggest is that you do the CBT first to see how well you get on with both the bike and the trainers. There are a few shouty bell-ends around, just remember that you're the customer and are paying them for a service, and if you're not happy with it, there are alternatives.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

treeno
Crazy Courier



Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about average, but my A2 took a grand total of 3 days. I had my theory done for a while and had been riding around on a CG for a year, then turned up at a private instructor on Friday morning, did 4 hours training (3 hours on road, 1 off), did my mod 1 later that day, then did the mod 2 on Monday morning after some more road training on Sunday.
____________________
Current ride: Ninja 500R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ijmok
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 07 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 weeks from CBT to mod 2 including theory here,

Weekely 2 hour lessons (2 on test weeks i think)

Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get the theory test out of the way. I rode about on my 125 for a few months then felt fine to do the test but had forgotten to do my theory. Then booked it all cocky like, then failed it and had to wait two months to do it again. By this time it was winter so getting tests done was difficult as the meerest hint of rain and they cancel tests. So ready to do tests in August then didnt pass until the following february!

The fact your asking suggests your the kind of person whos happy to ust slap some money down with a training company and do it all in a week.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:20 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me 3 days to do my bike test from start to finish

Also took me 3 days to get my car licence. Couldn't be bothered with all that 6 month crap!
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

markk21
Nova Slayer



Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to take the route from novice to mod 2 passed; a little slower but I don't have the time and need the licence by the start of July really. I'll take my Theory Test next month if I can. I tried an online test for the questions part of the theory test last night and got 45/50. I've bought a motorbike theory test practice cd for the computer off amazon for £9.99 so that will help. I hopefully shouldn't have much to learn as I only got one question wrong when I did my car theory test but that was 4 years ago.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do mate is get the test and training over and done with as soon as possible

If you then want to take it easy at your own pace that's up too you. No point dragging out lessons and test though will just take ages and cost more. Might as well get your licence and then do as you please
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NooBish-AbbZ
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 27 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from thinking about A2, to A2 pass within a month.
____________________
SV650S - Feb '14-March '19
XJ6N- Apr '19 -Present
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.51 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 132.11 Kb