Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR Problems - Please Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:43 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: NSR Problems - Please Help Reply with quote

Ok, basically I am trying to derestrict my NSR's intake and I have got as far as the air intake but there are two weird bolts on the bottom of the intake which I can't undo because they are weird. This picture gives a picture of what the bolts look like.

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/o.kitson/NSR.JPG

Can anyone help please!

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you make the diagram of the weird bolt a bit more detailed?

Not really a very clear pic. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

william
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your picture those "weird undoing bolts" look like tamperproof bolts which ae easy to do up but very difficult to undo.

If they are then someone doesn't want you to remove the restrictor plate.

I am guessing but if thats what they are it could take you a while to remove them but once removed you can probably replace them with stock bolts.

William

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:14 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do a better drawing because my mate did it for me. I'm sure your right william but I dont know how to undo this thing you must appreciate there is limitied room by the air intake as it is!! CPL_RedBaron you must be able to help me as you had an import NSR and you derestricted the air intake. Did you have these weird bolts?

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 01:21 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

imports don,t ushally have a intake restrictor, mine never did but honda would,nt fit that sort of bolts (they like to keep them all the same) so it looks like someone has been at it before best thing to do is to get some mole grips on then and try and screw them out then replace them with some nice standard ones.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:23 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I thought of Mole Grips, just restricted area to work in down there...maybe I should strip it down so I can have more space to work in. Thanks for help anyway, if anyone else has any ideas please don't hesitate to help me Razz

william
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet would be to carefully drill the heads off but would be tricky with limited space.

Could you not just file/grind away the restrictor plate internally until it is the same size as the intake?

A bit crude - but you could try loosening/ undoing them with a hammer a sharp punch. If they were tightened with a sscrewdriver they might not be that tight.

William

Last edited by william on 01:29 - 11 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 01:28 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to note:

be care when work around there beacuse behind the reed block (which is behind the intake) is the crank/barrel/piston etc and its not a good idea to get crap/grit in there. so don,t try to cut or file the restrictor out
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

william
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't know there was a reed valve there.

William

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:32 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the help Baron Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The do look like some kind of tamperproof bolt. Easiest thing might be to use something like a Dremel to cut the slot a bit deeper so that you can use a screw driver on it.

All the best

Keith

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 11 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

william wrote:

Could you not just file/grind away the restrictor plate internally until it is the same size as the intake?

William

Don't think it is a very good idea to get a load of swarf in the engine Smile

I would just use a hammer and cold chisel or cut a slot and wind it out, if you can't do it because there is limited space then drop the engine out. It is held on by 3 bolts and there is not that much stuff to take off.

william
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has already been said Mr James and I have said that I didn't know that there was a reed valve involved.

Obviously i shouldn't try to advise unless I know all the circumstances and I am truly repentant so leave it alone or put in the flames section.

rizzla
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:10 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

spray the bolts with wd40 then get a flat head screw driver and a hammer. then hit it on the flat raised edge take your time and it should after a while start to turn .

gtechosting
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the small dremel to make a slot for a scre driver sounds like your best bet Wink

A grand idea Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1