Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bubbs Chapel Conversion Thread...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
This may be a useful tip for the garden.

I got some of the cheapest glypohosate I've ever seen the other day. Enought to do your entire plot for £30. I's called asteroid biocare.

You are going to need to emply chemical warfare to get that lot back under control.

Got a rotovator to rip up all the weeds - will probably need this stuff for chippings though to stop it growing through.

If you put this stuff on the land does it stop grass growing?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:55 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's saystemic weedkiller. It kills growing plants if it comes in contact with their leaves. As son as it hits the ground, it is inactivated.

It's not the fastest acting, it actually makes stuff grow too fast and burn itself out.

An interesting thing I have seen done using glyphosate is to prep and sow an area of grass then wait. The weeds invariably start coming back up before the grass but you can safely re-apply the glyphosate as long as the grass still isn't showing through. This kills the weeds and the grass gets a good start. Well established grass will then prevent the weeds coming through, especially once you start cutting it.

My Grandad (who was a professional gardener, he used to head up the behind the scenes team at the BBC Beechgrove) did this to recover the walled garden at our old house which was in a similar state to yours. He cut it back, rotovated, hit it twice with glyphosate then planted the whole lot in grass as I just described.

Once it had the grass established for a couple of years, he then took the turf off to use elsewhere in the garden and re-made the vegetable beds with plenty of farmyard manure. I remember him saying it was the grass that got rid of the weeds, the weedkiller just put him in a position to plant the grass.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I would consider if I was building another house.
1. Solar heating for hot water, diy panels can be done relatively cheaply and can be very effective.
2. Rainwater collection for grey water use. It's not something I've really looked into so it might not be worthwhile economically where you are, but it might be worth a look.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right that's interesting. Will keep that advice for when I sort out the garden properly. Thanks.

My brother in law is a professional gardner so I'm hoping to get him down and working on the garden.

Be nice to have a good covering of grass.

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's been considered but With the amount of land you have in need of attention, I'd defo be thinking about a ground heat pump, if your doing the labour on the ground anyway you only have to buy the equipment

On a good size scale they are extremely effective, have a look on here, I'd of thought you can get it a lot cheaper than they say though, especially if you've done most of the labour and will be replacing the grass yourself etc

https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generating-energy/Choosing-a-renewable-technology/Ground-source-heat-pumps

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:16 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If I was building a new house, I'd make sure a got a large and intelligently designed heat store in there thatcan be fed into by various heatsources such as a heat pump, solar and other future developments (waste water heat exchangers?).

I would also run ethernet cable all over the place and back to a patch panel so everywhere can be connected to everywhere else. IP cameras, HDMI etc.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:
Not sure if it's been considered but With the amount of land you have in need of attention, I'd defo be thinking about a ground heat pump, if your doing the labour on the ground anyway you only have to buy the equipment

On a good size scale they are extremely effective, have a look on here, I'd of thought you can get it a lot cheaper than they say though, especially if you've done most of the labour and will be replacing the grass yourself etc

https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generating-energy/Choosing-a-renewable-technology/Ground-source-heat-pumps

Yup... ground source heat pump is going in. Also a heat recovery system and underfloor heating.

Going to be quite a clever house.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And exterior lights - definitely put in the wiring for exterior lights.

I've put a few of these on a front of property wall facing back to the house triggered by a PIR. If someone comes through the front gate it lights up the front of the house without turning it into a stalag. It also makes finding your keys and opening the front door easier when you get home.
Similarly I've a few on the walls in the back garden.
I went for those as they are cheap and simple. When I bought them they were nearer £3 each and they've been up around 6 years with no problems.

EDIT: Link to the lights
https://www.screwfix.com/p/napoli-oval-60w-matt-white-bulkhead/33673

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good man Thumbs Up Very Happy

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Thumbs Up

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels good Thumbs Up

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
A couple of things I would consider if I was building another house.
1. Solar heating for hot water, diy panels can be done relatively cheaply and can be very effective.
2. Rainwater collection for grey water use. It's not something I've really looked into so it might not be worthwhile economically where you are, but it might be worth a look.

Missed this earlier:

1) Doing ground source heatpump. Definitely considering solar for feed in tarriff but not 100% yet.
2) Rainwater collection is pointless where we live. There is an underground spring that has a constant stream year round. Also as it's Wales it tends to rain a lot.

Did look into it but not worthwhile.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside now cleaned out. You can see the stream to the left:

https://i.imgur.com/O7X7RFN.jpg

Opposite view
https://i.imgur.com/Wf0tZA1.jpg

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than having an expanse of grass, why not have an unkempt area of meadow flowers and long grasses, it will attract bees and butterflies and be an interesting part of the garden to see from the windows.

I'd also have a few raised beds to grow food. Thumbs Up Oh and the obligatory fig tree. Mr. Green

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Rather than having an expanse of grass, why not have an unkempt area of meadow flowers and long grasses, it will attract bees and butterflies and be an interesting part of the garden to see from the windows.

I'd also have a few raised beds to grow food. Thumbs Up Oh and the obligatory fig tree. Mr. Green

We have an 1 1/2 acres of land behind the garden which we aim to plant fruit trees and bushes and have some large polytunnels for all year round growing and also normal veg patch to seasonal growing.

Also planning on raising pigs / goats / chickens for meat.

The immediate garden will have a part allocated for a herb garden.

The future dream is to fuck work off and live off the land. Maybe do a part time job so things can tick over and pull out of the rat race.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 07 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
1) Doing ground source heatpump. Definitely considering solar for feed in tarriff but not 100% yet.
2) Rainwater collection is pointless where we live. There is an underground spring that has a constant stream year round. Also as it's Wales it tends to rain a lot.

Did look into it but not worthwhile.

If you have more than 20 square metres of roof area then you should be able to get up a 3kw or maybe 4kw solar setup. problem is now that with the lower FiT estimations are that a 3.5kw system will give around £700 in savings/earnings a year. That's against an installation that's going to cost about £8000, not sure it adds up.

My brother in law installed a rainwater harvesting system when they restored their house in Shropshire. It supplies the water for the toilet flushes. Great, except there is a bloody pump that humms away pumping the water up every time somebody flushes a loo.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 09:15 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and another thing...on your plans your large larder is in the lounge rather than the kitchen? We used to have a larder store when I was a kid, it mean that kitchen cupboard space was for crockery / pans etc. no unsightly fridge/freezer (country kitchen with Aga). Make sure you think this one through. It's only a minor thing, but every time you want something from the larder you have to physically leave the kitchen to get to it.

I currently live in lodgings where my landlady has suddenly omitted the kitchen door, to make the downstairs open plan. Its awful when she cooks, because the smells drift upstairs into my room. Unfortunately she cooks and eats sometimes as late as 10.30pm (and yes she's a large lady).

So for me, being able to shut off the kitchen is important. Or at least having a door to stop downstairs smells going upstairs in the first place. Idea

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:00 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
The future dream is to fuck work off and live off the land.

Mmm, mixed feelings about the feasibility of that. My parents tried it in the late 1960s and early 1970s. They read John Seymour's Self Sufficiency - a lovely but dangerous book - and decamped to the middle of nowhere in Wales to put it into practice with three children. We grew our own vegetables, raised and ate our own cows/sheep/pigs, even made our own cheese and salted our own pork.

Parts of it were good, in some ways it was even the rural idyll my parents had hoped for. For example, as an 8-year old I used to handmilk one of our two Jerseys and that was a comforting and satisfying routine. Watching the pigs being slaughtered or assisting a difficult lambing in a muddy field at 2am on a February morning in the sleet was less idyllic. Rolling Eyes I admired the grit of the farm vets we used back then - maybe the boy Stinkwheel still gets to do that sort of thing.

Anyway, in the end we found out the hard way that true self-sufficiency is impractical for all but a dedicated few these days, what with various cash outgoings for electricity, cars, taxes and so on.

Bubbs wrote:

Maybe do a part time job so things can tick over and pull out of the rat race.

This, on the other hand, could work. Bear in mind that the physical effort required by self-sufficiency can be significant and that it won't get any easier as you and your partner get older. However, if it's just a sideline it would certainly keep you moving and active, which the other job may not. Hens are nice and easy way to start if you have children by the way.

Ironically the property I now own is very near to where John Seymour himself lived, though I have no plans to do any of that myself. There's so much cheap and organically grown veg about here that it seems foolish to spend time on it myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Oh and another thing...on your plans your large larder is in the lounge rather than the kitchen? We used to have a larder store when I was a kid, it mean that kitchen cupboard space was for crockery / pans etc. no unsightly fridge/freezer (country kitchen with Aga). Make sure you think this one through. It's only a minor thing, but every time you want something from the larder you have to physically leave the kitchen to get to it.

I currently live in lodgings where my landlady has suddenly omitted the kitchen door, to make the downstairs open plan. Its awful when she cooks, because the smells drift upstairs into my room. Unfortunately she cooks and eats sometimes as late as 10.30pm (and yes she's a large lady).

So for me, being able to shut off the kitchen is important. Or at least having a door to stop downstairs smells going upstairs in the first place. Idea

Hi clanger,

Very well noticed. We noticed this ourselves and have redesigned the whole space. I'll show you the updated plans when they come back from architects. Lots of changes.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:14 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Clanger wrote:

We have an 1 1/2 acres of land behind the garden which we aim to plant fruit trees and bushes and have some large polytunnels for all year round growing and also normal veg patch to seasonal growing.

Also planning on raising pigs / goats / chickens for meat.

The immediate garden will have a part allocated for a herb garden.

The future dream is to fuck work off and live off the land. Maybe do a part time job so things can tick over and pull out of the rat race.

Best post I've read all year. Good luck to you mate Thumbs Up

Very envious Mr. Green
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bonny. Come to the bcf BBQ when we can finally host it. Do you come back from travels much?

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 18:25 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Thanks bonny. Come to the bcf BBQ when we can finally host it. Do you come back from travels much?

Hopefully next year I can tie it in. Depends on the next few months really.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's likely to be next year so be good to meet you. Do you have access to a bike in the uk?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Why not BCF working weekends? Beer, fire and shovels! I doubt if I'd be the only one up for a weekend or two in Wales and some of us have reasonable building/landscaping skills! Surprising what an extra half dozen hands can achieve in a weekend

Looks like a cracking spot, although when people talk about having their own running water.... Laughing

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 09 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Why not BCF working weekends? Beer, fire and shovels! I doubt if I'd be the only one up for a weekend or two in Wales and some of us have reasonable building/landscaping skills! Surprising what an extra half dozen hands can achieve in a weekend

Looks like a cracking spot, although when people talk about having their own running water.... Laughing

Sounds great but I doubt people would want to come to work on a weekend off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11