BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RichieW
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:48 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Which 125? Reply with quote

Hi, i'm new to biking and im hoping to get a 125 for my 17th brithday which is in a couple months, but im having trouble deciding which 125 to buy.

Ive narrowed it down to two bikes, but if you wanna chip in with a different opinion feel free to braoden my horizon. First off theres the Honda Varadero 125 which has gotten good reviews from everyone who had ridden one and is only about £400 on insurance (the part im gonna have to pay). Then theres the Honda NSR 125 which alot of people seem to have and thats also got some really good reviews on numerous sites by numerous bikers.

The NSR is an extra few hundred on insurance, but I dont mind paying that if its a better bike. The price of the bike itself isnt a huge problem since ill be paying my parents back over time, but if the NSR is alot more expensive than the Varadero then that does matter a bit.

Any opinions as to which is the better bike?

gtechosting
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, my opinion is 1 sided cos i have an NSR Very Happy and i havnt got a clue what that other bike is, but id say try and pick the bike you like best, if you go with someone elses idea it might be a great bike for them but not you, look at the bikes, test ride them and do some homework on parts accessories etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
rsooty This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were going to buy a 125cc bike today, for a 2 stroke it would be a second hand NSR125 probably up to £800. And for a four stroke a second hand CG125 for about £350.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RichieW
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:35 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsooty wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/search.php

USE IT! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger

There are these exact topics started at least every 2 days.

Sooty

Urm, FYI I did use it, and practically every single one that came up is somebody saying 'So I bought a ... after all' or 'You should get the ..., its better' with absolutly no explanation

Im asking which is the overall better bike, not just which can go the fastest. Hows the reliability? etc...

rsooty
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want reliability you need to go for a 4 stroke bike, eg the CG125 or CBR125 but these are definately slower. I've bought the CBR125 as it's perfect for what I want it for.
The NSR's are fast and there are plenty of them around.
The Veradero's are apparently very good bikes. But again it's all to do with what you want the bike for.

Sooty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 01:40 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should start looking at a FAQ for Learner legal specs. Don't know how we would go about this though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:57 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no best 125. For people to be able to give their views on what would be the best one for you, we need to know basically what the bike is going to be used for (a day to day mode of transport, a weekend good weather only toy or whatever else it could be used for) and what the budget for the bike is. Knowing this people will be able to give a better answer of which one would be best for you. Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than stateing what you want out of a 125 i often find it easier to find someone a bike knowing what they are prepared to sacrifice.
Basically all 125's are shit in some departments. A CG lacks street cred and speed, a mito lacks a sensible price tag, a DNA lacks gears etc.

In order to find the right bike you are going to have to sacrifice either:

Cost
Insurance
Speed
Noise
Looks
Reliability

Obviously the Best 125 would have all of these things, but no bike does, so clearly the best 125 is the best one for you.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:32 - 21 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever thought of a cbr?
for me the varedero is too heavy for the power it gives out. it will really struggle with acceleration. they may be solid, but can you u live with slow stuff?
go 2 stroke. what about an rs125? i know that is sacrificing reliabilty, but if you look after it, and know what to do with the engine, you should be fine.
33bhp! that's three times the power of my '03 plate gs125!
go for it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1