Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What powerball?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: What powerball? Reply with quote

There must be a higher than average proportion of people on here with wrist/arm injuries.

I'm one of them (type 4 Salter-Harris fracture of the left arm inadequately but very expertly reduced using k-wires about 16 years ago following a comedy sidecar crash). It's been giving me gyp recently. Almost certainly would be helped by building up the muscles supporting the joint which have much reduced following a series of small, annoying hand and arm injuries that prevented me using it at work.

I'm going to get some of those squashy grip-balls but was thinking of trying one of the gyroscopic powerball type things too. There are a lot out there though.

Anyone used one? Which and was it any good? Any to avoid?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have thought you'd be better off with some decent hand grippers, the power balls are fun for 20 seconds of light entertainment but not really a solution to building a bit of grip strength.

https://www.heavygrips.com
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sold various types of powerballs when I was working in shops. I'd say they do work rather than just being a gimmick, I'd also say 100% go for the real deal branded powerballs, there should be no need for one of the metallic weighted ones, a standard plastic ball is enough of a workout for most people!
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a "NSD Power Ball" it works and makes muscle burn.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 12 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/69dclMb2arY

You want guns like this muhfukka?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

qarka
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:37 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSD Powerballs are sick. I used one regularly for a few years, think it definitely helped to prevent me getting any injuries from boxing. Although I think it's a good idea to have grippers as well.

If you go for the powerball, learn to start it without the pullcord. Used to take me bloody ages fiddling about until I realised you can just give it a really hard spin with your thumb and then slowly build up speed.

Fuck I'm gonna have to get me another one of those! Laughing
____________________
Previous - Sinnis Apache - Honda Bros 400 - Yamaha SR500 - Honda Transalp - Kawasaki ZX-7R - Honda CB-1 - Honda 929 Fireblade - Honda NTV650 [b]Current[\b] Honda CB500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:47 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumb starting it is definetly a trick worth learning, saves spending ages getting the string out of the side of the ball if it wraps back around itself while starting it up!
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for powerballs, I went branded, be sure to get one with an LCD readout as it becomes competitive and the data is useful for planning. I have this one and would happily recommend it (I haven't looked for cheapest price):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NSD-Neon-SIGNATURE-PRO-Powerball-White-Power-Ball-Golf-Sports-Gyro-/111139736123?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Exercise_Fitness_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item19e071ca3b


For grippers, the yanks all bum the captain of crush grippers, but the heavy grips brand linked earlier seem perfectly good, guy at my old gym had a set which made my no branders look shit:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Grips-Set-Any-2-Hand-Grippers-Body-Building-Power-Lifting-Arm-Wrestling-/251205134814?pt=UK_Strength_Training&var=&hash=item3a7cfe29de
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 13 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys. Ordered an NSD one and a selection of squeezy-balls for the grip.

This really is more physio than strength training, I'm not entirely certain I COULD use grippers just now, or not for any reasonable number of reps anyway. Maybe something for the future. If I don't do something about it soon, it's going to continue getting worse as I avoid using it.

Powerball will not be doing any significant speed any time soon.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 64.3 Kb