Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pitbike Supermoto - Round 1/2 race report - UPDATE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Ah brembo-ness would have to go too if you wanted in at Matchams (to race that is) but nice one.

Do you reckon it's worth contacting them to see if they would let me race with all my bling on if I'm not included in the championship points?
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Devil wrote:
garth wrote:
Ah brembo-ness would have to go too if you wanted in at Matchams (to race that is) but nice one.

Do you reckon it's worth contacting them to see if they would let me race with all my bling on if I'm not included in the championship points?

Could give it a go.

If you sweet talk me I can lend you a standard brake setup and set of 10" spoked wheels. Or you can buy them off me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Could give it a go.

If you sweet talk me I can lend you a standard brake setup and set of 10" spoked wheels. Or you can buy them off me.

1 x rusty trombone?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness I would be interested but just not right away as this is just meant to be a bit of fun on the side and not take too much money.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 26 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no worries. Just got my forks through and they've sent me the wrong sized disc and missed out the spindles and spacers. Doing well...
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://monsterpro-pitbikes.co.uk/parts/engines/crf-standard-down-pipe.html

Is that the downpipe I'll need yeah?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Devil wrote:

Looks about right.

I have my tyres. Just waiting on the wheel spindle and I can start building it this weekend.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 29 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing test days with the NMRRC on the 'ped. It still needs lots of improvement yet! They would stick me in the open class if i did decide to race. Laughing

APT Motorcycles

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

New forks, wheels, tyres, brakes, old black bodywork back on and Z40 cam installed.

Gearing probably too high now but it feels good.

Also cut open a carbon can and wrapped it round the exhaust as a heat shield.

https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y459/nark_square/C61806C1-AFEC-4106-89BB-377C7AE993F9_zpswe6ldyf1.jpg

The vet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:23 - 04 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
I've been doing test days with the NMRRC on the 'ped. It still needs lots of improvement yet! They would stick me in the open class if i did decide to race. Laughing

Did you race at Stretton ?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time, now that round 2 is over.

I improved my lap time to a 41.1, so 0.7 of a second.

Four races, four fourth places! The only people that beat me were or are BSB riders (I think?!) anyway bloody fast people. Kyle Wilks was riding this weekend so I think a podium was out the question.

Pleased with my progress and I'm still 2nd in the championship. I've ordered new lower handlebars and thicker fork oil for round two, so we'll see how that goes. I want to get into the 40's.

Videos on the facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/171453466303567/?fref=ts

Points / standings here

https://matchamspitbikeseries.co.uk/#/results/4569700000

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:27 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 championship points for coming last in every race! Get in! Very Happy

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I forgot to mention it was MarJay's first race(s).

Get that bike running right and keep track of your lap times, once you can power out the corners we'll get you up to pace.

It gets addictive, you shouldn't have started. Laughing

Hoping I can hold onto third in the championship, it's going to be tough.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:54 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I forgot to mention it was MarJay's first race(s).

Thanks, Very Happy I've already revealed this fact here:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=288328

Starting on pole is a scary experience. On the video that is on Facebook I'm at the front of the grid, then 3/4 of the way around the lap I'm at the back... I don't think that's entirely down to my poor riding! Smile At least I can blame the bike a little bit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:06 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I've just ordered a MOLKT carburettor and a new gear lever. Hopefully this should solve my issues and be better than my Fakeuni carb that I have at the moment.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:48 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
By the way, I've just ordered a MOLKT carburettor and a new gear lever. Hopefully this should solve my issues and be better than my Fakeuni carb that I have at the moment.

I had loads of trouble with my Molkt 26mm and ended up splashing for a VM26, but I'm sure someone with more patience and knowledge will set up the Molkt better Thumbs Up

Cannot see videos as I R non facebook Sad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:38 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I had loads of trouble with my Molkt 26mm and ended up splashing for a VM26, but I'm sure someone with more patience and knowledge will set up the Molkt better Thumbs Up

Cannot see videos as I R non facebook Sad

I've got a VM26 but it was only about £25 so I think it might be a fake. Although I've read on the internet it should be possible to adjust the fuel screw on these 'fakeuni' carbs to make them run leaner.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:00 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

At like £40 for Molkt or £70ish for Mikuni, I'd probably go Molkt too. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:02 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
At like £40 for Molkt or £70ish for Mikuni, I'd probably go Molkt too. Laughing

I'm one of two racers who aren't running a Molkt and the other guy has to mess around with his carb all the time. I need Molkt.

Give me MOLKT! Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:09 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molkt reminds me a bit of this:

https://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn104/LunaTork/malk.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 3:

Garth did amazingly well and stayed at the front of a pack of 5? riders for a long time in the final. I didn't speak to him that much during the day as I was chatting with a noob and a guy who is thinking of doing the series. I do know that he crashed and looked pretty pale afterwards. I'm sure he'll update the thread as soon as he's feeling up to it.

As for me, my round was a bit of a mixed bag really. I'd fitted a brand new Molkt carb to my bike, but had no idea if it was set up correctly or anything. It was a bit wooly in the first practice so I turned the air screw a quarter turn to the left which seemed to help (I assume that undo = more air as the bike was running pretty rich!). Then in practice 2 I was punted off by Kyle Wilks. Again. It must have been a bad one because afterwards nearly everyone seemed to come up to me and ask if I was OK. Evidently Kyle had missed the front brake when I turned in a little early after the start finish straight and hit me full pelt in the rear wheel (luckily on the tyre). He then supermanned into the tyre wall whereas I just thought I'd lost the back end and slid a bit on the first corner. My bike was undamaged but I had not realised that the exhaust was loose.

Heat 1 the bike was running rough again but I managed to hold my own and finish last. The bike cut out on the first lap but I managed to get it running again.

Heat 2 my bike cut out and could not be restarted. Somehow I qualified for a last place despite me technically DNFing, maybe I had done enough laps to qualify? I'm not sure how they work it. I know they do ten minutes plus two laps. Maybe I completed the ten minutes? I got back to the pits and found the exhaust was loose. I tightened it, checked the spark and found that it was weak but present. I did think it was a fuelling problem but someone suggested a duff coil so I went with that. I swapped the plug cap with a spare one too.

Heat 3 I did not enter as the bike cut out when lining up to get onto the grid. My fixes above had evidently not found the problem. I eventually dismantled the carb to find a fairly large piece of swarf blocking the pilot jet. I removed it with a tiny screwdriver and re-assembled the carb. I was not hopeful that I could make the bike work now but it started and idled OK and sounded a whole lot better.

Final: I took the bike out and it ran very well. No longer wooly or hesitant, and I managed to better my laptime from last time. Not by much but by some. Considering the lack of practice I've had I'm relatively pleased by that.

Roll on round 4!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 4 Fail. Bike wouldn't start at all.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed R4, R5 Sunday which I'm doing.

James Hillier (you know, TT winner, BSB rider) just bought a Matchams bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5