Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any thoughts on possible bike choice ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

madcyril
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:15 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Any thoughts on possible bike choice ? Reply with quote

Hi
I used to have a ped back when i was a mere lad , i was planning at the time to move onto something bigger , but then i had a accident when i tried to edge out to see past a lorry some biatch in a fiesta pulled sharply in and put my head through her windscreen and feet thought passenger side window . As you can imagine at 16 this kinda put me off 2 wheels for a good while .

Now however, and for the last few years i've felt the dark side pulling at me again . So here i am 25 and just finished university (results thursday >.< ). i've just sent off to get my replacement licence (lost it ages ago and never bothered to get a replacement) before i book up for CBT , Theory and DAS (gonna cost about 500 squid all in all not bad i think). Anyways i've been looking at which bike to buy when all is done . Thing is i don't really know a whole lot about any of them other than they look sweet and are mostly within my budget £2.5k -3.5k , I would love it if you could give me some advice on , reliability , cost of maintenance and repair (cos you know its gonna be dropped at some point) and handling .

GSX-R 600 SRAD
ZX6R
FZR 600
CBR 600
YZF 600
Triumph TT600
Triumph Daytona 595

Any help would be appreciated

Looking like an expensive game to start !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 20:17 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the cbr or the fazer mainly because it is learner friendly and a lot of fun.

And I am very biased Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:31 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know the Daytona T595 is a 955cc triple that weighs 199kg dry?

You're thinking of the Daytona 600 afaik.

I would reccomend Hornet, Fazer or SV650 as a first bike, although you would get away with an older CBR600 or ZX6R.

I would think that an R6 or GSXR600 would be a *little* too crazy as a first bike, the others tend to be confidence builders whereas the sharper Gixxer or R6 need confidence before you can ride them well.

Good luck! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

madcyril
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:39 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks laura and Marjay !
aye didnt realise i put 595 meant to put 595cc saw a 1997 one on autotrader for 3.5k looks nice .

So you think CBR out of that list then marjay ? -- Im really quite in love with the TT bit too much for a first bike ?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:48 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT600 is ideal really. Handles really well, not too powerful.

The 1997 595 IS 955cc, trust me!

The Daytona 600 was only released in 2003, the TT600 in 1999.

TT6oo is a winner really, but try to get a newer one if you can. They are all pretty cheap (because they have a reputation for being 'off the boil') but apparently the newer ones are very close to being perfect.

2001-onwards TT600 would be a bargain! Thumbs Up

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 21:11 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

madcyril wrote:

So you think CBR out of that list then marjay ? -- ?

Is a girl's opinion not good enough then?

madcyril
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL a girls opinion is more than good enough Smile -- didnt mean to offend ! was just asking a question . i figured you being 'slightly biased' Razz that i had your answer spelled out .

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol it was a joke mate.

I would say a older cbr say 95 or their abouts.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you'd be better getting something a bit less powerful - sports 400 or something, just till you get used to bikes again.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:26 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to agree with mr chips. 0 to 600cc is a bit much. my brother went form 50-400cc fireblade and i thought he was nuts. how about a hornet 250? its got 38bhp does over 100mph and a great bike to ride(apparently). i want one to replace my gs125! Laughing

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 10:43 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 100cc scooter to cbr 600 yes a old one but still.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:53 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may have jumped 500cc, but is it still wise? i'm a bit of the nutter on my gs125, so i want to got to a hornet 250 or cb400 next time, max. hopefully i want kill myself to soon

madcyril
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:14 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this , yeah i thought i might be better off with a smaller 400 or something , but i really want one of the bikes in that list . I have a fairly healthy fear of killing myself , and im quite carefull by nature .
Laura This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyril,

Check out https://www.cix.co.uk/~kwh/page61.htm

The aforementioned link made my mind up for me on a TT600 purchase - Marjay's right that a 2001 onwards would be your best bet as the earlier models had injection problems. You could probably get a decent 2001 (or maybe 2002) model for £3000 - £3500.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the merits of buying British further Wink

SteveH
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1