Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda NTV Revere - any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:23 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Honda NTV Revere - any good? Reply with quote

Currently looking at options for a cheap commuter bike for my wife. Needs to be reliable, not too pricey and suitable for a short person. Not after some crazy fast, or super swish, just something easy to ride, solid and good to get confidence back after a long break in riding. Her last bike was a Honda VT250 import, so really just a sensible upgrade from that. CB500 is first choice, but also come across the old NTV 600 and 650's. Are they any good as a CB500 alternative, or just too old now and will inevitable be a money pit?

I liked the idea of the NTV, as it's about same height, weight, power as CB500. Still a twin, so not too wide (I'm guessing). but with shaft drive, alloy frame, not overly tuned engine, it appears they just keep on going. And of course, there's quite a few about for under a grand. But with most around 20 years old, will they be a money pit of maintenance, compared to a 10-15 years old CB/CBF500? i.e. will the extra cost of a CBF500 likely outway the cost of maintaining an older NTV?

I know many were fav'd by couriers, but the same is true for CB500's/CBF500's, so same problem really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revere was basic, but well built and reliable. They are all knocking on a bit now so a good example may be hard to find. They got good reviews when compared to the competition at the time.

I rode one a few years back and they seemed to be a better balanced bike that the GS500 and CB500 that were being used for DAS work.

All the bikes you mention are of a similar breed and any of them could be money pits unless you find a low mileage, well maintained example. I would concentrate more on that aspect rather than going brand/bike specific.

Just another suggestion, what about an SV650?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:51 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTV has been around from the ark. It was one of the machines I was looking at/for when I started. Ended up with a Kawasaki GT550. I like shaft drive. However, my current commuter is a 1994 CB500.

The NTV evolved into the NT650V Deauville, so that's another (newer) option for a commuter.

IIRC there was a variant of the NTV that was chain driven, not shaft. Grey import perhaps, memory fails me atm.

Hope you get sorted Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:54 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Just another suggestion, what about an SV650?

Did think about he SV650, but was put off, as on paper the seat height is a couple of cm's more than the Honda's and has worse economy. I guess, I'd have to sit my wife on one and really see.

But, yeah, you're probably right, when considering if a bike will be a money pit or not, I'd really have to look at each bike on a case by case basis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NTV is a bike widely used by the bike courier community. A good sturdy, reliable bike. Parts easy to come by. Another bike in a similar vein is the Honda Bros 400 or 650 (shaft drive).

I owned and rode the Honda Bros 400cc (chain drive, V-twin), I loved it as my first road-legal 'big bike'. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:25 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend utterly on condition vs price. BUT...
NVT? Is probably the nicer bike.
CB5 is probably the easier to live with.
If it goes wrong, who gotta get the spanners out?
Who got to pay the bill?
Who gonna get the pleasure of riding it?
Does that help you decide your dilemah?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I was supposed to be starting a job in Tunbridge Wells, 45 miles away from home. I can't remember the reason but the GPZ500 I had at the time became unusable about a week before I was due to start. If I remember correctly it was the day before I started that I spotted a 1989 Revere with about 70,000 miles on the clocks still at it's starting price on ebay of £300. I put a bid on it and won it for the £300.

I rode that NTV 90 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week for about 6 months. I crashed it at least once on ice, I think twice maybe. I ran the poor thing out of oil twice. It lived outside in the rain and ice and snow. It just kept on going. It suffered a bit with carb icing in the coldest weather but other than that it really did the job perfectly.

In the end I replaced it with a ZZR600, the NTV sat in my garden for over a year. When it sold (shamefully for £50!) the guy had it running again with just a charge of the battery and some fresh petrol.

Based on my experience I would declare it a properly bomb proof bike.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
IIRC there was a variant of the NTV that was chain driven, not shaft. Grey import perhaps, memory fails me atm.

Yes, I believe that was the Bros and yes, a grey import.

Have you read the MCN review of the NTV 650? They do specifically say the NTV is the better bike over the CB5.

Although, that was MCN saying that so who knows.

I like my CB5. It's not fast, but it's reliable (minus a Reg Rec problem I had shortly after I bought it but I believe this is common amongst many Honda's of that time) and good on fuel (70mpg if your a granny). Although, if I were to choose between the CB5 and NTV 650, I would probably go NTV just because I think a V-twin might be more interesting than a parralel twin (apologies for homosex statement)... plus shaft drive would be nice.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reliable bike. they will do the miles and basic servicing is simple.

Oil and filters are an easy swap, brake pads take minutes and they crash well.

One courier wrote his off (by insurance standards) 3 times.
the last one was especially brutal but it did take the car to the scrapyard in the sky in the process.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:54 - 02 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used them for Despatching during the late 80's Bullet proof, shafty and a single sided swinging arm for ease of puncture repair, tire change.

Cunnington
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:46 - 07 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple, and my only negative is that the gearbox belongs in a tractor. There's a good NTV forum, which recommends using a specific oil, which does make a difference.

David Silver are pretty good for spares, and I've had to do little above minimal maintenance to either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1