Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bus lane bastards...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

reddeviljp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:53 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Bus lane bastards... Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I was heading down Bloomsbury Way towards Southampton Row in central London when I noticed vehicles edging over to the right and nudging motorbikes onto the white line or directly into the contra flow bus lane.

I had a word with some cunt in a van who wasn't happy sitting in traffic and he just laughed when I asked why he moved over. I didn't think much of it until I got a ticket this morning, bang to rights Evil or Very Mad

Fucking fuming about it. Any chance of beating it?

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:11 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, that sucks.
I take this road everyday and often go on the white line/bus lane when the traffic is stopped because you can't really filter on the left with all the buses :/ Didn't know the police was actually looking here.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orennayar wrote:
Crap, that sucks.
I take this road everyday and often go on the white line/bus lane when the traffic is stopped because you can't really filter on the left with all the buses :/ Didn't know the police was actually looking here.

The police have nothing to do with it!! You've got the council to blame for that.

Last edited by instigator on 18:58 - 10 Apr 2014; edited 1 time in total

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the same incident as 'white van man' one that you described? Could be that their photo has him in it if so, if they haven't sent you a copy - request one.
You may be able to argue that whilst (safely) filtering that you were shoved into the lane by the malicious actions of 'x' driver and that you'd like it on record that they were deliberately attempting to knock you off your bike. It may not help your case but the more that bikers and cyclists highlight the twattish wrongdoings of an ignorant minority to those concerned with justice the more likely that there will be positive policing when it happens.
It's about time we bikers made more of an effort to take the reg numbers of offenders and reported them - It must fall within the 'dangerous driving' category.

(To be fair, for every twat that tries to shunt us off there must be hundreds of others who are courteous enough to make more room)

luke.r
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bus lane cameras are a cash cow for Camden council. I have been fined twice on Southampton Row for entering the bus lane too early on a left turn. Camden makes millions from cameras on Southampton Row/Kingsway.

I sometimes take that particular stretch of Bloomsbury Way and am extra careful to never cross the white line, no matter how much of a shit I am to other motorists, its just not worth the trouble. Even if it means causing problems for others on the road, just do it, its the councils problem, not yours. Ironically I've held up buses in bus lanes on Southampton Row, just because getting out the way means crossing the line and getting a ticket.

It's probably best to have a look on pepipoo to see how to best appeal the fine. It may be that someone else has managed to successfully appeal based on similar circumstances. Its also worth checking that the PCN they issued is by the book and the road signage is regulation on that stretch of road - it looks like some people get off via this route.

You should have access to video footage they captured if you go onto their website and enter the notice details (maybe not, but i think so? I did). You could reference events in the recording if you decide to appeal.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dip into the inside of them. You get in front of them and let them know that you know exactly what they are doing and that you think that they are cunts.

Plus, you let them know that there is a counter to their darstadley scheme...

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 10 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all need the pepipoo Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices subforum. Thumbs Up

https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=a9d14aef97bbe1458eff6f88fd1b1d88&showforum=30

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:36 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke.r wrote:
Those bus lane cameras are a cash cow for Camden council. I have been fined twice on Southampton Row for entering the bus lane too early on a left turn. Camden makes millions from cameras on Southampton Row/Kingsway.

How do these camera work exactly? Do they just flash random people or is it 100%?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:47 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appeal. Claim ignorance and/or bad signs. Plus the van-man incident.

Not from London but based on media coverage, i.e.
Motorcycles allowed in London bus lanes
, so if I was visiting London I'd think motorcycles were allowed in bus lanes Shocked

The map which link above has for the allowed bus lanes doesn't work. Link moved/removed by TfL. However, this TfL page says...
TfL wrote:
...Vehicles that can use a bus lane

Read the bus lane signs to find out who can use it and when. Some signs may display the word 'local' indicating that only local bus services can use the bus lane.

Buses which have a minimum of 10 seats (including the driver)
Licensed London Taxis
Motorcycles (without side cars)
Mopeds
Scooters
Tricycles (non-motorised, motorised under 450kg, not with side cars)
Bicycles

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

reddeviljp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:31 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joncrete Cungle wrote:
Y'all need the pepipoo Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices subforum. Thumbs Up

https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=a9d14aef97bbe1458eff6f88fd1b1d88&showforum=30

Thanks. Now signed up and will be posting later to see if it's worth appealing.

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
I'd appeal. Claim ignorance and/or bad signs. Plus the van-man incident.

I'd pick one. Personally, I'd simply say that you were forced to move into the bus lane to avoid a collision, you were not actively using the bus lane, and hence any contravention is de minimus. If you can get a photo and white van man is included, put in a complaint to the police about his driving - it probably won't do much but it won't hurt either.

Have a read of this - it sounds like a similar case - https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=57809&st=20

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the excuse that you are allowed to cross a solid white line to pass a stationary vehicle?

luke.r
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:22 - 11 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orennayar wrote:
luke.r wrote:

How do these camera work exactly? Do they just flash random people or is it 100%?

AFAIK there is a guy sitting in a room watching the cameras between the hours of operation for the bus lane. The camera is a motorised CCTV thing on a pole they can move about to follow vehicles that break the rules. Here's what they sent me (with the bit recording my plate cut off): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7slrfLjzY

I'd agree with TheDissaprovingBrit and go for De Minimus as a result of avoiding an accident, unless there is something definitely wrong with signage/road markings or the notice has been issued incorrectly.

Imperial_Maniac
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:33 - 13 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus lanes should allow bikes nationwide, it's absurd that they aren't tbh

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:54 - 14 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke.r wrote:
...Here's what they sent me (with the bit recording my plate cut off): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7slrfLjzY

That's a fake. I can clearly see cyclists stopped for the red light. That never happens in London. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shower of bastards. What about the other two cars and bike who also entered too early.
Should have taken that one to court and asked in what way they thought that level of obstruction warranted a fine.

reddeviljp
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They refused my appeal and told me to cough up. Bollocks. Sick

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 09:38 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddeviljp wrote:

IIRC you can appeal again to someone else. Or is that parking?

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
reddeviljp wrote:

IIRC you can appeal again to someone else. Or is that parking?

Nope you can appeal again for bus lanes to an independent body, I got off two Reading ones in front of the station

one going one way......the other coming back LOL Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

A [PATAS] Notice of Appeal form should be sent by the enforcing authority with the Notice of Rejection. If this form is not enclosed, the enforcing authority should be contacted to obtain one.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 248 days between these two posts...

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:42 - 29 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, received a PCN today for using this bus lane apparently.
I'll consider it my yearly donation to camden council to thank them for letting me use their bus lane Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 29 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 248 days between these two posts..

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:10 - 29 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, only a hundred days far of making it a bi-yearly donation Sad
It's never too late to rant about PCNs

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:21 - 29 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orennayar wrote:
for using this bus lane apparently.

How apparent is it in their evidence?

Orennayar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 29 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a picture of a guy on a motorcycle in a bus lane, said motorcycle appears to have a number plate similar to mine
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2