Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No more cop chases

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shade_BW
I'm better than you

PostPosted: 23:30 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

You really don't have any idea about what happens do you? If you stop the engine running/ receiving any fuel it will stop slowly as the forward momentum etc would still carry the car forward, it wouldn't lock the wheels etc etc etc.

Stalling a car at high speed, hmm you can't unless the clutch is disengaged in which case it still wouldn't stop suddenly as it would coast along.

That's my point, you can't stall a car at speed the conventional way, which is why I'm having trouble visualising what would happen.

You won't stop the engine from running, as the wheels will still drive the pistons up and down (unless the clutch is dipped), as the drag slows the car, which could cause the now rattly pistons to sieze the engine, which could cause the drive wheels to lock (again, clutch). So there is the potential for the car to carrear out of control in a dangerous way.

Shade
I could be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Sometimes old is better. Reply with quote

Wotcha.

All very jolly - but what about anything equipped with magneto ignition, or good old fashioned points and coil ? It will carry on quite happily - which means should I ever attempt to outrun the police ( which with my bike would be a joke in itself, a copper on a pushbike would catch me ) their wonderful high tech device is a non-starter, as opposed to stopper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shade_BW wrote:

That's my point, you can't stall a car at speed the conventional way, which is why I'm having trouble visualising what would happen.

You won't stop the engine from running, as the wheels will still drive the pistons up and down (unless the clutch is dipped), as the drag slows the car, which could cause the now rattly pistons to sieze the engine, which could cause the drive wheels to lock (again, clutch). So there is the potential for the car to carrear out of control in a dangerous way.

Shade
I could be wrong.

You are wrong Razz

What would happen is the spark plugs would stop sparking but the pistons would still be moving up and down due to the wheels still driving them but this is no biggy.
The pistons wont be rattly they will just have no more explosive force pushing them down, and the weight of the car and the momentum would mean they continue going up and down but slowing as the car slowed down.

They would not lock the wheels simply because of the weight of the car.

for an example you could simply drive along and turn the ignition off, thats effectively what would happen (I don't suggest you do this though as if you need to turn you'll soon find the steering lock come on)

You could also do it on your bike if you so wished to see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:40 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be the same as the main fuse (or a set of fuses) blowing?

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 23:41 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craggles wrote:
Would it not be the same as the main fuse (or a set of fuses) blowing?

Just about, just imagine it as turning the ignition off.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 00:13 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try it and see Shade_BW.

Go along at 60mph and hit your kill switch, or turn the ignition off. Nothing bad happens, you just go along quite freely, the pistons being pushed up and down by the turning wheel, but not sparking.

As for ABS and powersteering, none of this would be an issue. OK, it might disable the ABS, but normal braking systems will still work, as ABS runs in parallel with the normal braking system, not in series. Unplug your ABS under the bonnet and brakes still work fine.

Powersteering is hydraulic, worst that would happen is that the powersteering won't work anymore, normal steering will remain.

All these systems are also failsafe and have been tested to death - chances of anything bad happening are very remote. The system would therefore be much safer than the 'stinger'. (Basically a strip of nails across the road, used widely these days)

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another tool further down the page which is being used and is getting a lot of interest. It would also work with very few drawbacks.

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40380000/jpg/_40380369_xnet.jpg
A super-strong spiked net which wraps itself around a car's wheels and punctures its tyres is another device attracting a good deal of attention.

Developed by UK defence research firm Qinetiq, the X-Net is made from Dyneema, a fibre which is said to be eight times stronger than steel and is also used to make bullet-proof jackets.

The 26ft by 8ft X-Net is portable and can be laid across a road in the path of an oncoming vehicle to bring it to a complete standstill, typically within 75 metres.

Because the net becomes entangled around the wheel axle it is impossible to continue driving.

The X-Net has already been used by US Marines in Haiti and could also become part of troops' equipment in Iraq, where Qinetiq believes it could halt vehicles being used by terrorists.

Back in the UK the firm hopes it could be used to stop joy-riders, as the net causes minimal damage and, despite its strength, can be cut away with a knife.

Similar devices are being developed in the US, where there is particular interest in their potential to stop cars at border crossings.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3890127.stm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:04 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to my physics teacher about it this morning (I'm studying waves and stuff at the mo, so its relevant!)

He guessed that it works similar to how normal radio works, but just gives the aerial (and wires in the car that act as an aerial) more power then you're standard radio show, which creates an electric current powerful enough to overload the fuse/chips depending where the current is (it'll be generated all over the circuitry).

It reminds me of the Micro Jam that they used to have on Knight Rider. (yea I used to watch it... classic show *slap*)

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:28 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you are forgetting the point, how many people run if they’ve done nothing wrong.

Ok so you’re a bank robber you get on you R1 and proceed to make your get away. 5 minutes later you find 3 police cars and a helicopter chasing you. There going to get you. So pick which way you want them to stop you (spike strip/ram you/ radio thing). Bet you choose that radio system.

So stop bitching this isn’t another government measure to make money or get more cars off the road. It’s all about safety. There not going to do it to unless you are doing something serious.

Seriously don’t post unless you no what your talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:48 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peoples problem is that they are worried that this system could cause the target vehicle to become uncontrollable - thereby becoming a danger to everyone in the area.

How would you like it if you were around when one of these things was used and the out of control 80mph Mondeo knocked you off your bike? Or ran into you/your gran/your kid on the pavement?

Theres also the problem of making sure that the beam ONLY hits the target. Again, how would you like it if you returned to your car thats been parked on the road only to find that nothing works because plod missed his aim?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:08 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyman wrote:
So stop bitching this isn’t another government measure to make money or get more cars off the road. It’s all about safety. There not going to do it to unless you are doing something serious.

I would suspect that they will do it for non serious offences. The "dangerous" driver doing 21mph in a 20 zone (cries of "what about the children"). If it is cheap and risk free to them then they will use it.

Danger wise it is probably fairly safe on a car (although while cornering they could be at risk of crashing if affected by it), but I would not trust the fail safe testing of all the systems in a car, especially when fried all at once.

All the best

Keith

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 14:17 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/07/1559238&mode=thread

Very cool, wonder what it would do to a Gatso Thinking

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
How many bikes have a CDi unit? That should be fried.

Yes, most likely completely.

I suspect this idea has developped from he fact that EMP knocks out chips and renders modern cars useless. a strong EMP will completly mess up chips causing them to never function again. older cars and bikes would most likely be immune to such things.
Ideally a car would just roll to a stop after being hit by one of these things just like if the ignition was turned off, but i cant say ive tried turning the ignition off during a high speed chase so i have no idea what would happen Razz

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 19:27 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:

Developed by UK defence research firm Qinetiq, the X-Net is made from Dyneema, a fibre which is said to be eight times stronger than steel and is also used to make bullet-proof jackets.

Thats who I used to work for.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the police ever did decide to use it you shouldn't be in the fucking way anyways. Id you looked in your mirror and saw 5 cop cars with sirens and lights going would you really be worried about them maybe getting you? Or would you be fucking off out the way?
And if the car did hit another car, is that better or worse then the same bad-boy car flying through a crossing with people on it?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 220 days between these two posts...

rev900
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:24 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: knee down chips Reply with quote

TheBoyChris wrote:
I can't help wondering if the same would apply to bikes however.

Would cutting a biker's engine out in a high speed chase be dangerous? Would the comparative instability of a bike vs a car stop the police from employing this tactic?

Also, if you've got a non-essential electrical component bike running on diesel, would it even work?

Just pondering...

Yeah if you got your knee down(sic) goin the other way you're chips. No doubt the main victim of this device will be speeders bcos the police are'nt realy interested in real criminals. 8O

innominate
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:35 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely to get the cars fixed again afterwards all you have to do is replace the ECU and chips that have been fried?

All the normal electric components shoud survive without damage.

As for the "OMG, the government will control all our vehicles" ranting.

I want it!!!
I want a car that will drive itself at the speed limit to work and back.
I like sleep, and this would get me an extra hour or so every day.
Vehicles are primarily for transport.

Would then keep the bike for weekends etc.
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:46 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's me definately keeping the Jawa and the T500. I may also have a KH350 coming my way at some point.

Carbs and points, the only way to travel. In fact I suspect that the amount of radio interference generated by the unsupressed Jawa ignition system would scramble the electronic devices the coppers are using.

Expect to see the value of your early Z1s and CB750s shoot up.

The concept that radio waves will interfere with the running systems of a bike certainly holds water though. My early Yamaha powervalve could only be run on resistor plugs. If you ran it on unsupressed sparkplugs, the radio interference made the powervalve controller flutter causing comedy 'kangaroo' effects.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, any traffic cops sitting within a few feet of an EMP transmitter will end up well cabbaged after a few collars using that device...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit. Just noticed how old this thread is Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:54 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Should be interesting to see what effects it has if future vehicles do not have a direct mechanical steering mechanism, same for brakes Laughing .

All the best

Keith

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:01 - 21 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40381000/gif/_40381365_car_stop_inf416.gif

All the money and preparation in the making for this technology - all the green car has to do is slam on the brakes and the police weapon is out of range Laughing

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:40 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the weapon kills all electronics within 50 meters line-of-sight of host vehicle then police options for its deployment are severly limited.

for example they could not use it in any urban or built up area as it would knock out TVs, PCs, etc etc in peoples homes or in office buildings. hell you wouldn't even be able to use the microwave.... and thats before you get to the possibility that it might take traffic lights out.

surely that would generate much anger from the public as well as companies and the police would have to pay damages to get the equipment fixed??

it probably sounds real nice to coppers on paper but in reality as it is now i can't see it working.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A car like a Citreon XM would be fubared by this, the suspension would fail, the brakes would fail and the steering would be none too happy either.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:52 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes *will not* fail. The ABS will fail, basic braking ability however, will not.

You think cars are designed so that if the electrics fail the brakes stop working?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3