Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

thinking of getting an r1 ur thoughts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:18 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: thinking of getting an r1 ur thoughts Reply with quote

my mates got an R1. he rides with guys that have a fireblade and a GXSR1000

he says i shoudl get a R1 or maybe an R6 and restrict it for two years while I get used to riding it and to motorbiking. after a year the restrictor might `fall off` by accident hehe

do you have any advise for me? thanks

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:21 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not buy a r1 and restrict it if you do you are stupid.

I would suggest buying a older bike and resticting that.

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:23 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
Do not buy a r1 and restrict it if you do you are stupid.

why am i stupid. i thought that r1`s were the best?

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:44 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for a new rider they arnt.

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:53 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that they are fast, turn in quick and have good suspension what`s wrong? build quality?

i would think that having it restricted would be like a ``tamed beast`` then when the restrictor comes of the full power will be unleeshed

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimbo wrote:

why am i stupid. i thought that r1`s were the best?

they have what? 125bhp?

Restricting one to 33bhp and learning to ride it is like learning to ride a horse by getting the fastest racehorse in the land and breaking two of its legs.

Restricting a normal 600 is often pushing it as far as what is a sensible thing to restrict, an R6 however or verging on loonacy!

Just incase you dont understand what you are suggesting, you are talking about taking one of the most powerful superbikes in the world, and depriving it of fuel and air so it has about the same power as an RS125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:58 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will crap restricted and you will not be able to learn I am sorry you don't want to hear this.

But I would get a older 600 well a few years old and restrict that.

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:13 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, maybe i need to rethink.

What about the small bike in your post frostyone? it looks really cool. Is that 33bhp? Could I restrict it?

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being funny or anything, but do you know anything about bikes? It sounds like your mates dont know much either.

And r1 is far far too much for a new rider. A 600 is even too much. Do you even know how fast these things are or how hard they are to handle. Or how, even if you make a small mistake its game over...

How old are you btw, because depending on your age we can be able to suggest different bikes. More specifically which bike test you are aiming to take, 125 restricted or DAS?

the r1 is an excellent bike, but not for you. You will not enjoy it becasue it will be too much.

Personally i would go for a 400c for a first bike sports bike. Or a 125 2-stroke. This is assuming you want a sport bike. These 2 are very forgiving in the throttle department, but all the other attributes are "up there with the best" of them.

But we will need more infomation about your situation and the aspirations about which type of bike you want to have.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimbo wrote:
Thanks for the advice, maybe i need to rethink.

What about the small bike in your post frostyone? it looks really cool. Is that 33bhp? Could I restrict it?

You more than likely do need a rethink, most probably someone somewhere has got the wrong end of the stick and now where all confused Wink

I'm guessing from what your saying that you are under 21 and wish to do your bike test. this will allow you to ride ANY capacity bike so long as its power does not exceed 33bhp. but as stated above, anything greater than a basic 500 is a little too much to restrict.

The have one of two real choices, you can either go for a smaller sports bike which has been tuned up to 33bhp, such as an RS125 or CBR250. Or you can go for a non performance larger capacity bike and restrict that, such an an ER-5, CB500 or GS500.
There is a little middleground in the form of 400cc sportsbikes which offer performance looks, brakes and handling, but would need to be restricted.

if you know people with superbikes, chances are that you want one too in which case a 400 sportsbike would probably be best. if you just want it for commuting to work/college and back then i suggest a sensible 500 like those named above.

The Small sportsbike option is something i would only really recommend if you have serious trouble handling the weight and size of a larger capacity bike.

All the best
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< I'm not being funny or anything, but do you know anything about bikes? It sounds like your mates dont know much either. >>

i don`t like you ensulting me and my friends but from the rest of wot you wrote you seem to be trying to help.

i'm 18 at the moment, my friends with the R1 and other bikes are 20

i've been reading about bikes for reviews (and the chick posters!) in fast bikes magazine. They`re tens of thousands of people riding on bikes each weekend there can't be that much skill needed, everyone and his dog has one.

i don't want some little hairdrieer like an aprilia or honda nsr maybe a kawazaki 636 restricted?

still think the r1 would look good and ride good

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

think we both posted at the same time.

<< You more than likely do need a rethink, most probably someone somewhere has got the wrong end of the stick and now where all confused >>

I mean the one on the left of the screen where your pulling a wheelie!!!

<< if you know people with superbikes, chances are that you want one too in which case a 400 sportsbike would probably be best. if you just want it for commuting to work/college and back then i suggest a sensible 500 like those named above.

The Small sportsbike option is something i would only really recommend if you have serious trouble handling the weight and size of a larger capacity bike. >>

would an nc30 be good? i`ve heard good thinks about them.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 18:45 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nc30 is a good bike.

I am 18 and have a cbr 600 which was restricted.

Look at a older 600 or something like a 400 etc.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i don`t like you ensulting me and my friends but from the rest of wot you wrote you seem to be trying to help.

i'm 18 at the moment, my friends with the R1 and other bikes are 20

i've been reading about bikes for reviews (and the chick posters!) in fast bikes magazine. They`re tens of thousands of people riding on bikes each weekend there can't be that much skill needed, everyone and his dog has one.

i don't want some little hairdrieer like an aprilia or honda nsr maybe a kawazaki 636 restricted?

still think the r1 would look good and ride good

Sorry if i've offended you Karma ,i was trying to be as neutral as posible, but with a stern edge to my advice. I mean this is a serious topic. I do not want you to get a bike that you will hurt yourself on.

You must get the ideology out of your head that big superbikes are "cool" and you must have one as soon as possible. It's not cool, if you end up a cripple becuase of an unapproprate bike. Take your time, and a big bike will come, and you will be ready for it, ready to enjoy it.

The fact of the matter is, unless you have been riding for a number of years, a big superbike is NOT for you.

Nc30 is an excellent first sports bike, trust me when i say this, you will be more than satisfied with the power when you jump on one. I've got a cbr400 and even now after riding for a few months it still is considered "fast enough" by me... Mine isn't restricted though, and it should be. But thats another matter.

Laura has an older 600, which is fine as it will be more or less the same sort of speed as a sports 400 (i think). older bike tend to be not as good as newer bikes, due to advancing bike technology.

Get a 400cc you will be able to keep up/beat the big bikes round bends, and if they ride faster than a 400 is capable of then you should consider your riding buddies. 400s look and sound the part as well.

Quote:
but from the rest of wot you wrote you seem to be trying to help.

I was helping you, i think you just closed your ears after a bit of accurate interpretation on my part...

Good luck Thumbs Up

Last edited by Claud 14.7 to 1 on 19:20 - 14 Jul 2004; edited 1 time in total

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me mate, a hairdryer bike will be fast enough for you if you've never rode one before.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you wanted an R1 you would never get insurance.

You NEED to have a years riding experience at LEAST before they will even consider you.

Imagine just passing your driving test and then being given a Dodge Viper. Its likely that you will be taken by surprise by the power jump from 33bhp to 120bhp. In fact, the Dodge Viper is a bad analogy... that has crumple zones, seat belts and air bags!

I was taken by surprise when I first rode my old NS125. I know people who have looped bikes because they were not prepared for what happens when you twist your wrist!

An NC30 is an ideal bike to begin to learn about sports riding, you need to be able to build up the skill and experience with a smaller bike before even thinking about a litre class sportsbike. You'll probably also find that with a bit of practice you can keep up with your mates, (especially if you have the skill needed to handle an R1!)

I would say, that unless you can ride a small bike quickly first, then you won't be able to ride a big bike it will just intimidate you.

HTH Thumbs Up

Bimbo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for all the suggestions Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:18 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bimbo They`re tens of thousands of people riding on bikes each weekend there can't be that much skill needed, everyone and his dog has one.[/quote]

There are loads of people around who can juggle flamming torches or chain saws, but that does not mean that not much skill is required or that they would be a good thing to use to learn to juggle with.

Unrestricted the R1 is a very fast bike, and beyond the abilities of many very experienced people. Restricted the power would be very poor, but you would still be left with the sharp brakes, quick steering and hideous insurance costs. Also the older models that you would probably pick up 2nd hand have a sub frame under the seat that is part of the frame and easily damaged. Literally having the bike fall over on the right onto the exhaust can write the bike off.

To be honest go and do your CBT just to see how to ride a bike. Then see how you feel, and whether to get a 125 and ride that for a bit to learn more (which I would say is the best idea), or whether to take a course of lessons to get your test.

Once you have your test then something like an NC 30 would be fine, with more ability than you will be able to take advantage of for quite some time until you have built up plenty of experience.

All the best

Keith

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:35 - 14 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing your test then jumping straight on an R1 is not a good idea.
Personally I would suggest getting a 125/400 and 'learning' over your two year restriction. Passing your test is one thing but there is always more to learn.
An R1 will get you into trouble so quickly and without rider experience there is a bit of hedgerow or a lampost with your name on it.
I have been there, done two years restriction, it isn't long and on a 125/400 you can still leave most cars standing at the lights, pull wheelies etc.

Having a 1000cc bike doesn't mean 8 times the fun of a 125!!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

An R1 is not anywhere near being a good first bike. The bikes which work best restricted are those which are closest to being 33bhp to start with. So the R1 which is about 100bhp more than that will not like it one bit!

Riding it restricted you would get used to it, but then riding it unrestricted it would be like a whole new bike, as yes you were comfortable on the 33bhp version and able to ride it and push it as much as you wanted, but with the restrictors out it will happily throw you off coming out of a corner if you give it just slightly too much power. Don't think of the 33bhp kit as being a way to learn the bike and get used to it, as it is not anywhere near being this.

You would never be able to get a sensible insurance quote on an R1 as a first bike, as it makes you a very very high risk to them. R1 is not a low risk bike to them anyway, and an unexperienced rider is also a high risk so they'll quote you but make sure you're ready for a bad shock when they tell you the quote over the phone. There is a reason why they ask for stupid amounts of money, and that is because they expect they'll have to pay out due to you.

Just jumping straight in the deep end and you'll end up with problems, take thing slightly more slowly and you'll learn more and end up less injured.

Ste

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Once you have your test then something like an NC 30 would be fine, with more ability than you will be able to take advantage of for quite some time until you have built up plenty of experience.

Well thats my advice anyway! clearly you want a sports bike. An R1 restricted will be near unridable by anyone, its not exactly learner friendly to begin with, restricting it will only have to unridable for different reasons.
That and R1's are expensive, and the insurance aged 18 is likely to be even more so, in fact i'm prepared to go as far as to say that if you rang up and insurance company giving those details:

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
*click*
*Brrrrrrr*"

would be the likely response Wink

A sports 400 allthough it would require restriction has handling and brakes which are not far off that of the best superbikes, and are certainly good enough to keep pace with a superbike on normal roads.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 08:03 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing , this thread makes me laugh.

Right, you obviously have no idea at all about bikes and are just listening to your friends boasting about their bikes, you said they are 20, how long have they been riding? and do they not like you since telling you to get an R1 as soon as you pass your test would kill you either through your stupidity with the power or just because your not used to the power.

My advice, get a 125 and ride that for a few months to get your newbie mistakes out of the way, do your test and get a 400.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This is funny, surely it's a wind up.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer i though it was a wind up too, but you never know "some" people may think like that. In fact, i believe some do. With a recent upward trend for bikes, its quite pessible...

It's better to correct them, and give helpful advice, just in case.

Irdawood the 2nd
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:50 - 15 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this....

https://r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17854&page=1

its about a guy that wants to buy an R1 as a first bike...lot of good constructive comments

my advice....

R1!!!!! wow no no no WAY!!! unless u have a death wish.... that bike is just insane anyways...nevermind for a beginner..to be honest i wouldnt even say R6 get an old SV650 ride it around a bit get used to it and then sell it...then get the R6..

Reason i say this mate is that as your new you will most likely 'drop' your bike and even one scratch on your mint r6 is gonna hurt. As for the R1 well thats just out of the beginners league mate most people get a 250 then 600 then the 1000's cc bikes never ever ever have i heard someone get an R1 and actually be able to ride it, you will either die- or just total it.

REMEMBER GET GOOD GEAR dont ride in t-shirts and stuff, get as much gear as you can afford,

And keep in mind that:~

The R6 can kill you, The R1 WANTS to kill you

hehe Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3