Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gear problems on Honda CM 125 Custom (with history)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

hannadarling
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: No Good Reply with quote

Hello everyone again, Ive stripped the engine down, alot of bits have snapped off the gear box including the spring, not only that, The left hand side piston has kind of seized!
No free play what so ever, cant even get the piston off!
Ive had to saw it in half lol
So now I'm looking for a new engine as this one is nackered! Well I just want less hassle anyway.. And would save me money in the long run..

Does anyone know any sites where I can buy an engine for this kind of bike?? (Honda CM 125 Custom, twin cylinder, 4 stroke)

Ive looked and looked but maybe I need the right sites to get one?

Thanks

Hanna Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:40 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure but I think you could use a cd185 / cd200 engine with your top half to create a 125? Or maybe swap for a cb125t engine which has twin carbs and more complicated electrics but I believe make decent power.

I've often wondered whether the simple CG125 engine would bolt into these frames and the sprockets line up? Simple engine with loads of easy and readily available parts... And would also mean you could fit a new chinese copy engine for about £200 if you wanted a new lump.

doombug11
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:08 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a replacement engine for one of these is a bit of a shitter. They appear on ebay every now and then, I got one of Gumtree last summer. Most other little honda twins should bolt in (CM, CD, CBt) Though you need to sort out lining up the sprocket and getting the electrics working which can be a pig.

CM 200 and CD 200 engines are quite available and slip straight in, but if you need to keep it 125 you may do well finding a donor bike going on ebay, they sometimes go cheaper for what some breakers will charge you for the engine.

hannadarling
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

doombug11 wrote:
CM 200 and CD 200 engines are quite available and slip straight in, .

If a CM 200 engine would fit straight in the cm 125 frame and the electrics are the same I would definitely be doing this!
Are you sure it all will line up with all the holes and support brackets/ Frame mounts?

I was thinking of buying a Honda CM 250 while I wait for the cm 125 engine to come up on ebay or all the other popular sites, but this idea sounds more Ideal if it will work!

Thanks Smile

Last edited by hannadarling on 15:19 - 04 May 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doombug11
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:19 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CM200 should go straight in, and the sprockets should line up. The CD200 also bolts in but you will need to get a 10mm off-set sprocket made up to align it with the back wheel. With both ideally you want the later 12v version as these will work with the electrics already on the bike. You could convert to 6v but its a lot more work.

I've converted my CM with a CD200 engine, it needed the sprocket made up and the carb (I used the 125 one) needed the jets changed. The wires are identical but have different connectors though that was easy enough to splice together. Aside from needing a slip-on air filter because the manifold has a steeper angle on the CD engine that's all that was needed to get the 200 in. Makes the bike a lot more fun too, even more wobbly but much more usable.

Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:19 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that there are different versions of CM250. Earlier ones were cruiserified variant of the CB250 Super-Dream with the counter-balence 'big-block' engine sleeved down from the CB400N. These will NOT fit 'Benly' engine bike frames, without adaptation. So be very careful what you buy, if you want it to fit your frame.

Note also, that NONE of the Benley family engines is hugely powerful; the 234cc motors used in the CD250U, CMX250 and CB 'Two-Fifty' barely make 20bhp; the 200's only make about 15bhp!

Though peak power is only half the story; even the 15bhp 200 engine, has quite a pleasant amount more low-down and mid-range power, even if it dont make the bike any faster. Also has 4-speed gearbox reputed to be quite a bit stronger, which may appeal to you Wink

Have you spotted this?

CD200 benly bits in for Sale section, by salem1987? He looks to be up in your quarter of the country too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hannadarling
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and help guys!
My plan is to get a good working or if I'm very very lucky a reconditioned 200 CM engine in, Sounds alot more easier, well time saving aha

Excellent idea I think Mr. Green

I'll be intouch when Ive got one

Thanks for the link though Teflon Mike, is there any more info I need to do the swap for the 200cc engine? Or is it just the 12v I'm looking out for?

Thanks guys

Hanna Mr. Green

hannadarling
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Note that there are different versions of CM250. ..... So be very careful what you buy, if you want it to fit your frame.

I was thinking of buying the 250cc bike just so Ive got something to ride while I'm finding the 200cc engine for the cm 125 bike.

Though it did come to mind aha

Thanks for the info Smile

Hanna

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:26 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hannadarling wrote:
Thanks for the link though Teflon Mike, is there any more info I need to do the swap for the 200cc engine? Or is it just the 12v I'm looking out for?

The motors are pretty much bolt for bolt straight swap in the frame.
So whatever the 'donor' lump pretty much ought to fit.
I wouldn't even be bothered whether the donor engine was fro 6v bike or 12, or anything.
I swapped a 6v CD200 engine into a 12v CB125 frame. I just pulled the genny cover off, the starter motor, and rotor; then fitted the back-plate, starter rotor and mag-cover from the 125... bolt for bolt swap.
Only real niggle was that the CB125 has one-up-one down crank and twin trigger ignition to give sparks on each pot 180 about; where CD engine is two-up lump with syamese ignition firing both pots together... was simple enough though to take the trigger signal from one CB inductor and split it to feed both CDI's. You shouldn't even have that problem, having two-up crank CM.
And you have all the ancilliary bits on your old CM engine to 'match' donor engine to your bikes systems.
Get onto chap in link advertising one on here before he parts it out on e-bay or anything!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hannadarling
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Get onto chap in link advertising one on here before he parts it out on e-bay or anything!

I'd have to collect the engine in York! I'm from Southampton aha the other side Laughing

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:39 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hannadarling wrote:
I'm from Southampton aha the other side Laughing

Why did I think you were in Yorkshire? Barnsley ish? Have you moved? or have I confuddled you with some other Benly Sufferer?!
Well... it's available... it just needs hiking for!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2