Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ok, whats wrong with the Suzuki GSX1250FA?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

James83
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Ok, whats wrong with the Suzuki GSX1250FA? Reply with quote

Doing the usual lunch time day dreaming about buying a new bike. Todays day dream is "all rounders" - daily commute, fun down the twisties on a sunday and good for 2 up touring.

The obvious option being the VFR1200, I was looking at alternatives when I came across the GSX. The VFR is £12k. The GSX is less than £8k. Figured it must be a pile of crap, but all the reviews suggest its a pretty good - maybe not quite as polished, not quite as pretty as the VFR, but not 3/4 the bike that the 3/4 price suggests.

So, is the GSX the bargain it seems to be? Anyone who owns one care to comment on its problems/issues/things to be aware of? I'm seriously thinking about this, so anything worth noting that a test ride might not show would be of particular interest.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR is completely different bike with top tech parts on it. GSX is like 20 years old.Thumbs Up

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a more basic machine all round.

That doesn't mean anything is wrong with it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:09 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something I've pondered myself. My theory is that it's too cheap.

Bear with me.

It doesn't have a prestige badge, nor does it have an 'R' in its name. You could hoon or commute on it, but that's not what it's for: it's a tourer.

And the kind of person with the money and time to go touring is a mature empty-nester with plenty of money and a willingness to display it.

Ask BMW, they've got that market locked down.

If the GSX1250FA came with a swastika quartered-circle or perhaps a Guzzi eagle on it, and cost about £3K more, I imagine it would sell like gangbusters.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I reckon that suzuki has a huge pile of GSF1200 frames out back they have to use up.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Bear with me.

It doesn't have a prestige badge, nor does it have an 'R' in its name. You could hoon or commute on it, but that's not what it's for: it's a tourer.

And the kind of person with the money and time to go touring is a mature empty-nester with plenty of money and a willingness to display it.

Ask BMW, they've got that market locked down.

If the GSX1250FA came with a swastika quartered-circle or perhaps a Guzzi eagle on it, and cost about £3K more, I imagine it would sell like gangbusters.

Don't be daft, nobody actually buys Moto Guzzis.

Suzukis are much more budget than beemers whatever anyone says. Cheapest suspension, cheapest brakes, cheapest frames, cheapest fixings etc. The *not bandit* 1250 is the very definition of a budget UJM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bear with me.

https://imgdonkey.com/big/VGE1MHlVWg/bear-with-me-imgur.gif

hurhurhur...

Sorry. I'm leaving now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:50 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Don't be daft, nobody actually buys Moto Guzzis.

Ewan McObiwan does. He probably buys half of the ones sold in the UK.

OK, bad example, my point is that a budget marque is wrong for that market, not that it's necessarily a bad bike considering its price.

I'm aware that my noob is showing, as I've not had the pleasure of running a proper Suzuki yet. Wink

I would like to know why there aren't more of them on the road. I can only recall seeing one, at a big bike meet, surrounded by bikes that on the face of it offer less for more money.

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually test rode one as I'm thinking of one as a week end long distance tour jobby. I liked it, very smooth, handled pretty well, tad heavy, finish was decent, typical Suzuki really, nice upright comfortable riding position. Not sure if it would make do as an everyday bike due to its weight and size but as a two up luggage hauling machine over a long distance its very appealing. That's the market its aimed at so does what it says on the tin.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much water in the engine for a Bandit...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nosed around one at the weekend. It looked pretty well put together and it was quite an imposing size but I was slightly underwhelmed by the specs. 97bhp from a 1250cc lump is unimpressive, especially to lug around nigh on 260kg. Good price though.

Dave500
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had one of these and loved it! The only problem was the seat I think but everything else was spot on plus the torque was immense.
I think it gets slagged off because its basicly a bandit with a better fairing and luggage.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:45 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwakerz wrote:
finish was decent, typical Suzuki really

Beg pardon?? Shocked

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
Kwakerz wrote:
finish was decent, typical Suzuki really

Beg pardon?? Shocked

Yep, common thing for a Suzuki, my mate's SV1000 was like a snake peeling its skin off. Thumbs Up

Golgarth
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the lads that rides with us has one. He mainly uses it for two up riding and he loves it for that. He has complained it's a touch bland, but that is what he bought it for. Got a cracking deal on it too, which makes it even cheaper than the low price would suggest compared to similar deals on other marques.
It's a long comfy bike, and isn't slow, it's just not superbike fast. Cracking luggage pack on it which swallows a decent amount for "her in doors"......

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golgarth wrote:
One of the lads that rides with us has one. He mainly uses it for two up riding and he loves it for that. He has complained it's a touch bland, but that is what he bought it for. Got a cracking deal on it too, which makes it even cheaper than the low price would suggest compared to similar deals on other marques.
It's a long comfy bike, and isn't slow, it's just not superbike fast. Cracking luggage pack on it which swallows a decent amount for "her in doors"......

So he purchased a bike actually wanting it to be bland. In that case then how does it count as a complaint if its what he wanted?

I got a 1250GT. Its the second 1250 bandit I had so that pretty much sums up my opinion of it. Despite the below average BHP it does accelerate nicely. However, the service intervals are pathetic. I assume the new version is very similar.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this bike. It has torqy motor and 6th gear for cruising, decent fairing, and upright position with bar handle. Usually Big naked over 1000cc has small half faired model only like CB1300 / ZRX1200.
VFR1200 has more forward-leaning position.
I'm not experienced enough to go for over 1000cc yet though.

Richy CB1000
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:54 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

These old 1000cc barges are just lazy 5th/6th gear specials. Sure you can play around with them but it kind of misses the point. They have enough power enough grunt enough handling for more than most of us. As they're ageing, including mine, any decent 600 modern thingamawaki will see it off in the bends and most have well over the 100Hp these things do.

Think UJM on steroids.... lay back and just twist n go......

They're only difficult in the walking it around department, purely due to the weight. Once moving they're a doddle. I think anyone that's ridden a modern 600 in anger wouldn't have any trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took delivery of my new GSX1250FA on Tuesday this week. Amazing bike; amazing value (£6900 pre reg 0 miles) 100 mph at only 5000 rpm - gobs of torque. Abs and gear indicator. Efficient fairing and screen. I've had 6 new Suzuki's - spray in the winter and they will be fine. Good handling and stopping. Blows a 600 into dust unless you love screaming rpms everywhere. Adjustable seat. Slightly heavy but so are most rivals but the Suzy costs a lot, lot less. Not the coolest bike on the block but if you want grunt and smooth riding by the bucket load - a test ride may well convince you. Sports 600's are great (I loved my Gixxer) but this is a man's bike. Only kidding but it is a lot better than it's critics think. Read the reviews. Downside - seat's a bit uncomfortable and fuel range is low. Bang for buck - stunning!

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
I nosed around one at the weekend. It looked pretty well put together and it was quite an imposing size but I was slightly underwhelmed by the specs. 97bhp from a 1250cc lump is unimpressive, especially to lug around nigh on 260kg. Good price though.

If you assume you ride around at full throttle all the time.

The flip side is a large capacity motor in a mild state of tune will have a wide spread of grunt and be unfussy about what gear one is in. In a touringish bike like a GSF1250 that's an advantage.

James83
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:05 - 24 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a test ride today and it seems to be what I hoped/suspected. It’s big, but not cumbersome. Its fast, but not insane. It’s comfortable and practical – I took the wife along for the test to see how she found it as a pillion and was surprised quite how flickable it was even with her on board and she found it comfortable and quite liked it (Although her comparison point is being on the back of my zx6r, so it may be relative Smile).

End of the day, and to answer my own question, there’s nothing wrong with it that I can see. It may not have the bells and whistles that the VFR has, but there is a much bigger difference in price than there is difference in toys and quality, at least to my mind.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 227 days between these two posts...

woodro
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:34 - 07 Dec 2014    Post subject: Recent purchase Reply with quote

I bought a new 2014 GSX1250 FA/SE (equipped with touring hard luggage, centre stand adjustable vario windscreen). For sport touring, it is a great value. I love the torque that this machine makes and for what I want out of a bike, this has all of the power that I will ever need. I did about 6000 kms in 2 months this past summer and I enjoyed every minute in the saddle. I am 6'1, 185 lbs and this bike seems to fit me well. Handling is good enough for my abilities. And anti-lock brakes are confidence building. So far, so good. No issues!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing against it is that it is chain drive. if it was shaft I would have had one years ago.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine for 6 months now and covered 3000 miles. Longish term my only 2 criticisms are the weight ( I'm more used to lighter 600's) and the gearing - less power in 1st and less vibes in 6th would be nice and I imagine changed sprocket ratios could change that easily. real plus for me is the overtaking - no need to drop a gear and you can pull round cars on a fast road with ease and safety like riders of less powerful bikes can only dream of.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The only thing against it is that it is chain drive. if it was shaft I would have had one years ago.

Agree with that Thumbs Up

I looked round one at Motorcycle Live last week and I was more impressed than I thought I would be. Nice riding position, seems like it would be comfy as a tourer.

If you don't mind a plastic wrapped Bandit then they are a bit of a bargain.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3