Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ok, whats wrong with the Suzuki GSX1250FA?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:11 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The only thing against it is that it is chain drive. if it was shaft I would have had one years ago.

MCN Quote:
The disadvantages of shaft-drive are that it is a lot heavier than a chain and absorbs more of the engine’s power before it reaches the rear wheel compared to a chain system.

A shaft-drive can also change the action of the rear suspension - when the throttle is opened and closed quickly the bike can rise and squat because the shaft is trying to “climb” the cog on the back wheel.

I prefer chain drive. Shaft performance bikes tend to be dearer. 1250 has it right I believe.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki are touting the 1250FA as a tourer. Chain drive is a bit of a negative in that area and shaft drive is mostly the weapon of choice.

The decision there will have been based on cost and the lack of a shaft is what keeps the price low. It's a trade off.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
The only thing against it is that it is chain drive. if it was shaft I would have had one years ago.

MCN Quote:
The disadvantages of shaft-drive are that it is a lot heavier than a chain and absorbs more of the engine’s power before it reaches the rear wheel compared to a chain system.

A shaft-drive can also change the action of the rear suspension - when the throttle is opened and closed quickly the bike can rise and squat because the shaft is trying to “climb” the cog on the back wheel.

I prefer chain drive. Shaft performance bikes tend to be dearer. 1250 has it right I believe.

Those issues have long been eradicated (obviously not the power, but the others). I have no wish to worry about lubing and adjusting a chain when I am touring and most hotels I stay in wouldn't be too happy if I walked in with panniers with chain lubricant on the bottom.

My Trophy is about 130 hp, no idea what is at the back wheel but perfectly adequate.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trophy - £13k........1250FA - £7k

Is there £6k more bike?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Is there £6k more bike?

Yes.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one as a hire bike after being knocked off the tlr last year.

Was okay. Would do everything I need from a bike I think, especially for the price.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:29 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
biker7 wrote:
Is there £6k more bike?

Yes.

Did the integrated stereo system swing it for you?

Real world, it's more like twice the price of the Suzuki, which is where I start to think that it's like comparing apples to caviare.

2 litre
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 08 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mates got one, he spent a fortune on getting it how he wants it, power commander, dynoed etc and got caught speeding come back from the dyno, he's selling it now. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 09 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Did the integrated stereo system swing it for you?

Real world, it's more like twice the price of the Suzuki, which is where I start to think that it's like comparing apples to caviare.

That and the electric windscreen Razz

Yes of course they are two completely different beasts.

The Trophy is Triumphs flagship built to be the best they can make. The Suzuki is a way of getting more life from an old design and filling a hole in the product range. That doesn't mean that it is a bad bike but it's a bike converted to be a tourer, not one that is designed to be one.

Honda (Goldwing, Pan, Deauville), Yamaha (FJR 1300), Kawasaki (GTR), Triumph (Trophy) & BMW (Can't remember the models but on 6 cyl and the boxer) have touring bike designed for that purpose and they all come with every trick they can think of. The Suzuki doesn't.

Oh, and they are all shaft drive Thumbs Up

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:09 - 09 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £13k+ there are loads of big touring bikes to choose from. For £7k the Suzuki is the only one and does much of what they all do. You can do a hell of a lot with the £6k saved (2nd bike, car etc) and still have a ride that will go anywhere. Sure if you are made of money or need to go the continent regularly....... but for general big bike needs, the 1250 is a steal. Sure you can buy used but if you like new, a test ride of the FA would be an advisable starting point. Then if you feel mega bucks would be well spent - see what BMW, Ducati and Triumph can offer. Personally if I were buying an upbeat bike I'd probably go for a Tiger 1050 or V-Strom 1000. I like Triumphs but prefer the light, nimble ones - that's why I ride a Daytona. The very best conventional touring bike IMO is the FJR but whether I would risk that amount of cash going touring abroad, is another matter!

alan29
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:02 - 10 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but will it get you to the South of France as well as the other bikes?
I rather think it would.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:17 - 11 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to the South of France a big heavy expensive touring bike may well be best. But who wants to go there with all their petty traffic laws and maybe get the bike confiscated. Confused We might be talking different needs her. For me 'local' loaded-up rides, 80 lbs of torque for rapid overtakes yet light enough to push about, the 1250FA is a very useful tool. Sat on a Goldwing and Trophy today - very impressive specs but they felt a bit more like trucks than motorcycles to me. Each to our own I suppose.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 23 days between these two posts...

cstura
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:19 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: The perfect bike Reply with quote

I was faced with the same problem about a year ago and found out that this bike is literally perfect.

It has all the tech you will ever need ABS, ETC. And equally all the stuff you wouldn't want anyway.

The great thing however is the way the bike rides which is fantastic because it has a fantastic weight distribution.

The engine is a 1250 which means loads of torque which makes it fun and smooth to ride.

Mine is red a true gem.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:27 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

cstura wrote:
I was faced with the same problem about a year ago and found out that this bike is literally perfect.

It's very easy to convince yourself that after you lay down a large amount of cash to buy one. Why do you think that everyone (mostly) advocates for their own bike? They need to justify their own decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It's very easy to convince yourself that after you lay down a large amount of cash to buy one. Why do you think that everyone (mostly) advocates for their own bike? They need to justify their own decision.

There's certainly truth in what you say.

However, for me the 1250 makes a lot of sense. I owned a 2008 model for 6 years and I've just bought a brand new 2016 one - so I knew exactly what I was getting into.

In between I test rode a lot of the current, highly regarded, bikes but I was left disappointed: There ain't a lot out there that appeals to me these days and I found that the 1250 is still the best all round option for me.

I'm sure that I can't be alone.

But, as ever, YMMV.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:24 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

cstura wrote:
this bike is literally perfect.

It would be worse if it were 50kg lighter?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
cstura wrote:

Heavy bikes are more stable duh (except for when you fall over at traffic lights).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be plenty of chain driven sports tourers though, probably all better than the big bandit, but people used to get on with them ok, perhaps after fitting a chain oiler.

Maybe a VFR1200 or K1300 is a better bike, but there were some impressive older chain driven bikes that are far cheaper.

FJ1200, CBR1000F, GSX1100F, ZZR1200 etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one (If you hadn't guessed from the username Laughing )

And I like it - I don't think its amazing, and its not the greatest for whizzing around the B-roads.

But its great for commuting long distance and it looks (for Suzuki) relatively sporty, and you can't ignore the low price. I don't think I'd have got it if I wasn't doing 112 miles a day though.

Once I don't need to commute a huge distance - I'll be getting something a bit "better" - but no idea what yet.

My family keep trying to push Kwaks on me - so I might have to try one.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:40 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
cstura wrote:

Quite possibly due to the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:37 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the owners, what sort of tank range are you getting from these?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
To the owners, what sort of tank range are you getting from these?

137 miles before the first warning fuel flash
185 miles when the second flash happens

Pushed it to 190 miles before getting fuel a couple of times

(With top box fitted)

Works out about 10 miles per Litre

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Quite possibly due to the ratio of sprung to unsprung mass.

It would be worse if it were 50kg lighter with the same or better ratio of sprung to unsprung mass?

Or is it indeed literally perfect?

It's hard to argue with the amount of bike for the money though. Literally literally.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:47 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Re: The perfect bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
...It would be worse if it were 50kg lighter with the same or better ratio of sprung to unsprung mass?

Of course not although achieving that without exotic, and therefore expensive, lightweight components would be difficult.

I suspect that many sports bikes actually have a less favorable ratio (since their wheels and tyres probably weigh much the same) - but they get around it with higher quality, and therefore more expensive, suspension components.

The fact is that all else being equal, heavier vehicles tend to ride bumps better than lighter ones.

definitelyinc...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:55 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And the kind of person with the money and time to go touring is a mature empty-nester with plenty of money and a willingness to display it.

Why does one need lots of money for touring? I always saw it as a cheap activity.

One off => Equipment

Everytime => Fuel / Service / Hotel (if that's your thang). (probably missing loads of things there, but surely it can't be much?)

Elaborate? I'd love to go touring on my apprentice wage this summer.

Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3