Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ok, whats wrong with the Suzuki GSX1250FA?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:59 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:
Why does one need lots of money for touring? I always saw it as a cheap activity.

I cry everytime.

It isn't mega cheap, it can be done cheap... but you wouldn't want to.

Hotel, even at absolute minimalist per night is gonna be 20quid, unless you tent it up, which we have done...in a field.

The bike will need to be in good nick, otherwise it'll break, tyres, fluids, luggage all need to be in check.

Then the fuel, it racks up fast.

It ain't cheap. I've had cheaper trips to Orlando than Spain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:
Why does one need lots of money for touring? I always saw it as a cheap activity.

It can be. Touring is only really expensive if you allow it to be.

A group of us went to Barcelona at Easter on bikes that probably averaged 10-12 years old. I took my ZX6 that cost me a bit over £1500 and threw a tail pack and tank bag on it. Budget hotels like the F1s in France can be had for £20ish a night or we have stayed in Hostels in the past. Austria and Italy on the shores of Lake Como for about £15 a night if you don't mind sharing. Lunch and dinner for around £20 a day if you are careful.

Touring is what you make of it. Budget hotels aren't that painful when you are with a decent group of people, having a laugh and seeing some amazing scenery every day.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:40 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Budget hotels aren't that painful when you are with a decent group of people, having a laugh and seeing some amazing scenery every day.

I really cannot fault budget hotels, they were actually not all that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:48 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying in hotels isn't how to tour cheaply. Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:41 - 03 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapt0r1997 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
And the kind of person with the money and time to go touring on the brand new bike that they've just bought for many thousands of pounds is a mature empty-nester with plenty of money and a willingness to display it.

Context added - we were discussing why it's never sold as well as the great value for money proposition would suggest that it should.

You can tour on anything, on a budget, living out of a tent and tins. But if you're in the market for a lazy-litre-plus bike then you're probably[*] already spending more than you need to. Squeezing every penny of value probably isn't your top priority.

[*] unless you're a long distance courier or a traffic copper.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:53 - 04 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a bandit is reasonably cheap. Uncomplicated I4. Everywhere carries parts for them, more so the 6 but finding service items should be quite easy.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 199 days between these two posts...

bryan56
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:26 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: gsx1250fa Reply with quote

Hi, I have had many bikes. 27 or 28 in total over the last 40 years. I have just sold a VFR1200DCT which was a bloody good bike. I thought it was maybe a bit fast for me, and having a car as well could do without a bike. I lasted 1 week. I have now got a 15 plate GSX1250FA, 2 grand cheaper and a year younger than the VFR. Well, what a revelation, yes the brakes and power were better on the VFR, but this brilliant machine is twice the fun. I have put a Beuwolf end can on, new Pirrelli gt tyres on, some Barkbuster handguards and it is superb. You see the torque coming in at full wack at 3500rpm is the winner with the GSX. In real term riding it is faster than the bloody VFR, and I was going to be going slower. Bloody big GRIN every bloody ride. One thing now though that I need to address is the crappy seat. I had a GSX 650, which by the way I once covered 2200miles in one week up Scotland, was exactly the same. Now I have got a Airhawk for it, but haven't got used to that yet. I am thinking of a Sargent. But the Bike other than the seat, GRIN FUN.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: gsx1250fa Reply with quote

bryan56 wrote:
Hi, I have had many bikes. 27 or 28 in total over the last 40 years. I have just sold a VFR1200DCT which was a bloody good bike. I thought it was maybe a bit fast for me, and having a car as well could do without a bike. I lasted 1 week. I have now got a 15 plate GSX1250FA, 2 grand cheaper and a year younger than the VFR. Well, what a revelation, yes the brakes and power were better on the VFR, but this brilliant machine is twice the fun. I have put a Beuwolf end can on, new Pirrelli gt tyres on, some Barkbuster handguards and it is superb. You see the torque coming in at full wack at 3500rpm is the winner with the GSX. In real term riding it is faster than the bloody VFR, and I was going to be going slower. Bloody big GRIN every bloody ride. One thing now though that I need to address is the crappy seat. I had a GSX 650, which by the way I once covered 2200miles in one week up Scotland, was exactly the same. Now I have got a Airhawk for it, but haven't got used to that yet. I am thinking of a Sargent. But the Bike other than the seat, GRIN FUN.

Not the oldest of threads to bring back to life... But its a good effort. Smile

Completely agree on the seat. But its not un-manageable. I went down to Cornwall from Stoke (and back) and only needed 1 stop outside of normal fuel stops to sort my dead arse out. Smile

good allrounder. But not as nippy up to 100 (70 Rolling Eyes ) as I'd like. but then it is "only" 97bhp...

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:42 - 22 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 1250's on the current Suzuki website so I guess that they've finally ceased production.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably succumb to emissions testing. The 1250sa was little more than Suzuki's attempt to keep the engine architecture originally established in the late 70's/early 80's of the 'oil boiler' alive. The extra 50ccs, injection and water jackets don't hide the fact you are laying out cash for a 35 year old basic design. Incidentally this is why they were so cheap, Suzuki just passed on the savings of having to do next to no r&d to turn these bikes out, coupled with cheap, basic cycle parts and a development cycle that had long since paid for itself.

Same reason you can buy a 707hp Hellcat in the states for $62,000, the basic platform it is built on is paid off years ago as it is a 15 year old Merc hangover from the Chrysler/Benz merger era.

That doesn't mean the 1250SA is a bad bike, or the Hellcat isn't a rip snorting firebomb of a car, it is just the way things are and the way they work.

Having an original mk1 1200 Bandit for 1500 quid and spending 5k on it would be far more fun...

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:28 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always remember the German mag article (the one where they strip bikes down after 50,000 kilometers, or whatever) and the 1250 showed no sign of wear internally, like none at all. They were quite stunned at the time. I always wanted one (and might still take the plunge) but when I sat on one in the showroom a couple of years ago it just felt a bit on the small side. Maybe I had just come off a GS or something but I recall being disappointed because they were such great value, and good to look at too.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I always remember the German mag article (the one where they strip bikes down after 50,000 kilometers, or whatever) and the 1250 showed no sign of wear internally, like none at all. They were quite stunned at the time. I always wanted one (and might still take the plunge) but when I sat on one in the showroom a couple of years ago it just felt a bit on the small side. Maybe I had just come off a GS or something but I recall being disappointed because they were such great value, and good to look at too.

My previous post wasn't moaning as such, just pointing out why they were cheap. The motor is incredibly strong and overengineered for the power output, with a great oil system. I can believe no signs of wear at 35000 miles, my 1200 was 40,000 old when the turbo was fitted and it's now done about 50,000 miles with no sign of issue. I have checked (never needed to adjust them) the valve clearances twice and changed the oil 3 times.

Size wise it feeling small is not a surprise, the bandit 1200 is a 600 frame with a 1200 motor in it, some fatter tyres and beefier forks. The XJR feels like a barge compared to it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier (years earlier Laughing ) I would quite happily tour on one. I would prefer shaft drive but if I wanted a bloody good VFM touring bike the old Suzy would be high on my list.

However - People who buy serious tourers want shaft drive and all the toys to make the riding enjoyable. Ultra comfy seat (heated) adjustable screen etc. etc. and usually they have the money for those bikes.

Younger people will happily tour on sports bikes, sports tourers etc. because they can have the fun on the bikes you can't have on a big tourer (us oldies would be in agony after an hour or so)

But the real reason for the Suzuki's demise as a tourer? Adventure bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:11 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

True, although you could buy the Suzuki instead of a Nazi Tractor and have a good £5k left over to spend on having an adventure.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

True, although you could buy the Suzuki instead of a Nazi Tractor and have a good £5k left over to spend on having an adventure.

Very true, but a Versys or Vstrom or Tracer or similar isn't hugely different in price.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Younger people will happily tour on sports bikes, sports tourers etc. because they can have the fun on the bikes you can't have on a big tourer (us oldies would be in agony after an hour or so)

I'm not particularly old, but substantially broken, but the only thing that got uncomfortable on the Fazer was the seat, and that can be sorted. Remove the luggage and it's a very respectable hooning tool Very Happy In fact, the luggage made very little difference to that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:33 - 26 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The original Bandit was sold as a hooligan tool - it was wild, poorly specced but very upgradable. Journos spunked over keyboards, and people owned them in the knowledge that others might (just might) be looking at them going "Ooh, I bet he's a bit of a lad."

The Suzuki's downfall is that it was never a tourer, it became some kind of one through mission creep and a hunt to replace declining sales. It was no longer the hooligan on the block either - more the chubby lad who used to be a bit tasty before the beer and pies took their toll.

Nobody ever weighed up the option between the two GS's. It suffered from one simple fault - it was old tech in a market driven by PCP-affordable gimmicks, like all the other excellent machines removed from showrooms before it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3