BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GN 250 - Touring Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this handy chart from https://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm to help me select the master cylinder size.

https://i.imgur.com/tSxDYdn.png

https://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56704
https://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

Both seem to say that a ratio of around 12- 14/15 is what you want to aim for.

Red on the chart is the stock setup: 14mm M/c with single 38mm piston.

Green is the new setup with 11mm M/c a much healtier ratio of 11.9 rather than the poor stock 7.37.

The new M/c appears to be a brembo, I was expecting a nissin tbh on a jap bike but maybe they are putting brembo's on the r125's? Second hand part from ebay. If it really is a big problem, I'll go one size up to a 12mm M/c and see how that gets on, but IMO the brakes are really good as they are now.

I hit reserve for the first time yesterday and worked out my mpg for the first time. 63mpg for town riding on the gas a lot. I reckon 70+ should be easily achievable on a long 50/55 mph cruise.

I plan to ride it up to the BCF BBQ (then up to see a mate in coventry) so it will have a little uk run around before overseas adventures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see your mate in Cov on a Tuesday, get up to Bassett's Pole. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a bit more progress today, with the end result the bike will be unrideable until tomorrow Sad

Here's the wheel bearings, look like OE, one is nice and clean, one has got a load of shit/grit around it, but both turn freely without play atm.

https://i.imgur.com/Plem0gyl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0RDneFxl.jpg

Like Tef predicted, a fair bit of rust once the tyre comes off. The front has a slow punture, which is might just have something to do with this.....
https://i.imgur.com/DAa267nl.jpg

So bike is off the road until I get a new tube tomorrow. Also moar rustiness:
https://i.imgur.com/I2p2QzYl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/far9UTRl.jpg

It's actually not too bad, mainly surface rust which is coming off with a wire brush okay. Gonna pick up some rattlecan black, new tube and rimtape tomorrow and hopefully get it all put back together. Then the with a bit of grease on the spindle, it should all come apart easy in future if it needs to.

Got a new tyre on order from demon tweeks for the rear, Michelin M45. I'll probably keep the catspaw stylee tyre on the front for the time being, but the rear is visibly old and cracked as feels very squiggly over white lines or cracks in the road. Rear is 4.60-16 so I've got a 110/90R16 which should fit fine, again new tubes and rimtape to go in on the rear for peace of mind.

Here is how it sits at the end of today. Got the gaiters on the forks, with a little rub of silicon grease on the stanchions under them. Fork seals look in good nick with signs of any leakage.

https://i.imgur.com/busPLPbl.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:35 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother rattle-canning the rims.
Thin coat of pain will come off soon as you spoon new tyres on, do a few miles, exposing chrome beneath.
I would;
1) clean up with wire brush the spokes, spoke nipples and rim channel.
2) oil the spokes.
3) oil the spoke nipples; loose grease the rim/niple seats, tension nipples. Then dress ends of spokes.
4) Rather than painting whole wheel; I'd use chain-lube or wax-oil in the rim channel to protect the inside.
5) polish up the chrome as best as. It dont look too bad in pics, and a little surface rust on chrome, to my eyes is much less offensive asthetically than flaked off paint, 'cos it dont like to key to chrome, unless you grind it back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do drop by when your visiting your friend in cov.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching with interest; touring on small bikes is brilliant Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Sabian92 said +1 Thumbs Up

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 06 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well managed to get new innard-tubes and rim tapes on the front. Old man was meant to bring me a tin of waxoyl over but forgot, so they have just receiver a good wire brushing and a scrape to remove the crusts of rust. At least it is rideable now so I have transport again.

New rear tyre should arrive tomorrow.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some progress has been made in the last week or so since I updated this thread.

Two new tyres (Micheline M45's) and Conti tubes have been fitted: whitelining is much reduced grip feels really confident for such cheap tyres.

Got a 12mm grimeca master cylinder off ebay for a fiver delivered, so I'm going to fit that and see it improves the back-to-the-bar quality that the 11mm master has.

Spend a few hours stripping connector blocks and bullet connectors, cleaning them up with wet and dry before re-assembling with a nice coating of silicon grease to dissuade future corrosion.

Check valve clearances, all were in spec bar one exhaust valve. I've noted all the clearances so I can see which way they have drifted next check.

Mudguards both removed, wirebrushed and given a good dose of red oxide followed by matt black. I expect to have the paint peel from the chrome but should help seal the underside.

Actually in general the matt black demon has attacked the bike...... Shifty

I'll get up some pics tomorrow.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see an update in here, My ER5 thread is going a bit slow but once Uni is out the way I should be ok, ideally I want to strip it down towards the end of summer and spray it all up, but I need rid of the oil leak and MOT it first!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 19 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with this mate! Has lots of potential for looking damn cool with the right mods! Thumbs Up

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to have visions of twin headlights mounted to the machine.

Obviously I'm a little limited on overall electrical load, but with the leds replacing lots of the stock bulbs I reckon I should be able to run a single 55/60w headlight okay. Or more light overall maybe with twin headlights each with a 35/35w halogen in them?? Maybe even one normal bulbed headlight and one with these new H4 led bulb contraptions?

Last few days in the sun I've actually been out riding it a lot, as opposed to just molesting it. It's actually really fun to rag around town. New tyres feel nice and secure, mx bars give loads of leverage when steering and I've been filtering like a boss. Quite impressed with the little bugger Mr. Green

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:51 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HID.
35w. chucks out 10x the lumins and draws half the current.
And check part numbers, 'cos if that GN uses same 7" lense as the GS500E, the silverings not shot and the lens not etched, then its a damn good lamp, and any after-market set up you replace it with likely to be not half as good.
Honestly; I did a load of almost back2back lighting comparisons on the Super-Dreams, and the OE Stanley lenses were by far the best, whatever bulb you put behind them; swapped for 7" round, i tried a couple of after-market ones I had knocking about, and a Hella Sealed beam conversion for a Lucas 7", and an OEM GS500 lamp Snowie was given, again, proved tops; and fitted with high quality solenoid dipped HID was bludy brilliant!
When we went over to the Vic in Coalville with Smiler, I lead in the Chavic, Smiler followed on his CG, the glow worm in his headlamp just about lighting my back number-plate; Snowie on the Pup, hanging back a bit... well she didn't want to accidentally run over him, did she?.... but HID in GS lamp right at the back, on unlit country roads, on dip-beam was lighting road ahead of my car lamps!

Though current 'project' is to find a shell that will properly take a Lucas 7" sealed beam; as I have a pair of clear 'reflector' lenses, and HID's to go in them, that are supposed to be even better, I would like to try.

Quality over quantity; one big lens is worth more than a pair of little ones, and one good, big lens worth more than anything. Lens quality is far more important than bulb power. You can have a 250w flood-light bulb in there if you want, and wont do any good if most of it is wasted not getting chucked out the lap in the right direction to light what you need, or worse, casting harsh shadows and bright spots making it harder to actually interpret what's being lit up for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main issue with the headlight is bulb compatibility. Currently it is a weird thing that looks like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/t/Motorcycle-Headlight-3-LUG-Bulb-12v-35-35w-/08/!B,q8JcgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKiMEjlLmV6SyBKsi71Q6TQ~~_12.JPG

Obviously a headlight that uses normal car H4's is far mopre useful in terms of getting replacement bulbs out on the road.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can go HID, go HID for sure. That reminds me, I might do that to mine! Thumbs Up

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the drop-in HIDs pass and mot?

I've heard that putting a drop-in HID kit into a normal glass reflector headlight means that kittens get massacred by the score, the north pole melts and the polar bears drown while schoolbuses full of disable kids burst into flames across the country.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

I've heard that putting a drop-in HID kit into a normal glass reflector headlight means that kittens get massacred by the score, the north pole melts and the polar bears drown while schoolbuses full of disable kids burst into flames across the country.

I think if you fit a proper kit (reflectors etc) then it's fine. It's only a fail for these tards who just put the bulbs in and make a complete arse of it.

Or something like that. Razz

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
My main issue with the headlight is bulb compatibility. Currently it is a weird thing that looks like this:

Yup, that's not H4 fit, so not a GS lamp then... well, was worth an ask, before you spent money.
smegballs wrote:

Depends on the MOT Man, Depends on the HID; Depends on the lamp it's fitted to.
Some MOT Men will take a 'practical' opinion; eg: it has HID in it, if they dont know and cant see.. they just test beam pattern.. knowing if they fail it JUST for rules bending, you'll go round petrol station, but an H4 leave HID hanging in the bowl and just swap back soon as he's given you test reciept.

If you look at Snowie's pup-project-thread.. err... page 8 She blogged her HID upgrade with OE GS500 headlamp.

When the bike was next MOT'd, Bill, scratched his head and went through the guide-book and testing bulletins on the topic; and yes, technically if not OE fit with 'automatic compensating mechanism' (whatever the heck that may be! they ought to have a 'retro-reflector' lens; Kit Snowie got had solenoid 'corrected dip' which shifted HID tip inside a shroud, moving the actual filliment into a dip position, mimicking the position change between H4 filaments; so in 'good' H4 lens beam pattern was indistinguishable to Bills MOT beam alignment machine, so he was happy with it.

But, there are HID's and there are HID's; some solenoid ones dont actually shift the HID tip, they shift the shroud, so the beam patterns aren't quite the same; others have no solenoid, and an HID Hi-beam and tungsten dip, and again, placing tungsten filament around HID discharge tube, filament positioning for focus can get screwed up.

But advantage of drop in HID is that its directly interchangeable with halogen H4 bulb, if you need to change it, but good-ones have huge life-time guarantees, so you ought not need one.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/sjcEVRE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4Nl9Y2e.jpg

Here it is so far.

I want to matt black it with a red oxide tank so bad Laughing

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:29 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:

Go for it, will look great. But can you "de-cruiser" it a bit without spending lots of money? You know, more upright stance, lower bars relative to seat, that sort of thing?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabian92 wrote:
Watching with interest; touring on small bikes is brilliant Thumbs Up

Yep - nearly as good as touring on middle-weights. Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowlydoesit wrote:
smegballs wrote:

Go for it, will look great. But can you "de-cruiser" it a bit without spending lots of money? You know, more upright stance, lower bars relative to seat, that sort of thing?

That is my plan, apparently spacers underneath the tank will bring it up to a more horizontal level, with that comes a little extra fuel capacity too as the top of the tank can
t be filled.

After that, spacers to raise the front of the seat and some seat surgery to kill the two-step cruiser seat might work. The two step thing is actually part of the seat base though, not just foam profiling so that might take a bit of thought on how to do it.

I'll keep the motorcross bars though, they are much better than stock and havea great riding position.

slowlydoesit
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:25 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
That is my plan.

Excellent. Well, if you get cracking on that today you should have some nice pics to show us by tonight. Very Happy

Incidentally, oxide red is nice, but have you thought about some other of those 70s colours, those bright blues, greens and yellows?

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well I got out there and shimmed up the tank with bits of wood to get a feel for how it looks at different levels.

https://i.imgur.com/kajyr6B.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c1VH9hX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eCu0IXo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6uRvYp7.jpg

For the last pic, use some imagination and pretend the line of the seat runs from the back over the trousers to make a more or less straight line. I think that it would already make the bike much less ghey and cooler looking already.

Problem is when jacked up by two spacers, the front of the tank fouls the bars. which isn't great and would need the tank to be dented in (in a somewhat controlled manner) or more material welded on the stops (which I don't really want on a commuter).

What do y'all think?

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop mockups.

https://i.imgur.com/zYCIQWk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RhUPT6A.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3