Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Number plate flipper

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RealAshGraham
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:32 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Number plate flipper Reply with quote

Just come across a YT video of a guy that has a number plate that flips/folds in half at the flick of a switch on his bike..

Can't find much on Google or eBay, so wondering if any of you technically minded folks had any idea how I could make one/where I could buy one from fairly cheap.

Obviously its for trackdays, and I'd never intend on using it to hide the plate whilst killing kittens and running down the elderly Shocked Embarassed

Cheers! Thumbs Up
UnknownStuntm... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:39 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to be sold as kits on ebay. Very easily made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
No.

Several reasons, the most obvious is that talking about doing this on a public forum is like lighting a massive lightbulb illuminating a sign saying "I'm about to do something illegal"

Because posting wheelie pics and videos just isn't enough Wink Riding derestricted etc...

OP, little servo, powered from the battery with a switch. Put number plate on a hinge, trust the servo to hold it there, press button and servo pulls and flips plate up.

Get caught with it though, dayum....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealAshGraham
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:42 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
No.

Several reasons, the most obvious is that talking about doing this on a public forum is like lighting a massive lightbulb illuminating a sign saying "I'm about to do something illegal"

No, I just don't have any room for a drinks holder on the bike, so the next option is having my plate laying flat.. somewhere to rest the coffee Laughing

base
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:56 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you are actually better off if ever caught taking a number plate off, and riding like that, than ever having a flip plate, which will be considered perverting the course of justice, which usually means a whole world of shite.

Motorway cops screened a special biker themed programme a sometime ago. There was a guy there with a flip numberplate. He was done for perverting the course of justice, not sure if he had other crimes to his name, but he got sent down for 3 months.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:08 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This is not hyperbole, that's an open-and-shut perverting the course of justice. The tariff for that presumes custody.

You would quite honestly be better off riding without a plate (or without some of it) and claiming "must have just fallen off, officer, very sorry".

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Yes. This is not hyperbole, that's an open-and-shut perverting the course of justice. The tariff for that presumes custody.

You would quite honestly be better off riding without a plate (or without some of it) and claiming "must have just fallen off, officer, very sorry".

This.

If you feel compelled to have your plate hidden, then attach it using velcro, for quick and easy removable. Then if caught. Must have blown away officer. Razz

gavbriggs
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:01 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had the capability to flip your plate but didn't you would be fine!

So if you will be using it for track days only, assuming your not allowed a number plate on a track, there's no crime committed is there?

So do it! But make the default to show the plate cos if a fuse goes or whatever you will be reported for an offence!

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Number plate flipper Reply with quote

RealAshGraham wrote:
Just come across a YT video of a guy that has a number plate that flips/folds in half at the flick of a switch on his bike..

Can't find much on Google or eBay, so wondering if any of you technically minded folks had any idea how I could make one/where I could buy one from fairly cheap.

Obviously its for trackdays, and I'd never intend on using it to hide the plate whilst killing kittens and running down the elderly Shocked Embarassed

Cheers! Thumbs Up
Just remove the 2 little plastic screws that hold your numberplate on for trackday use, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying some electronic whirlygig,

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealAshGraham wrote:
UnknownStuntman wrote:
No.

No, I just don't have any room for a drinks holder on the bike, so the next option is having my plate laying flat.. somewhere to rest the coffee Laughing
You could always remove the ashtray to make room for the drinks holder, Think about it.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually hang the air freshener off the ashtray though.

RealAshGraham
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:49 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
You could always remove the ashtray to make room for the drinks holder, Think about it.

Then where do I dump all my spare change and Worthers Originals?

Joking aside, I think I'll forget about this for the time being, cheers though folks! Laughing

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavbriggs wrote:
If you had the capability to flip your plate but didn't you would be fine!

So if you will be using it for track days only, assuming your not allowed a number plate on a track, there's no crime committed is there?

So do it! But make the default to show the plate cos if a fuse goes or whatever you will be reported for an offence!

No,as said if you get pulled and a copper spots the mechanism ,whether your plate is up or down is irrelevant,there's a high probability of of being charged with perverting.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:15 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why didn't they ever do James Bond with his rotating numberplate Thinking

Obviously another case of car drivers being favoured over bikers. Evil or Very Mad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:35 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a power valve motor under the seat sticking through the undertray, mount the number plate to the motor and then with some wiring and a switch you can make the plate spin around.

Have been told that having something like that is the offence of perverting the course of justice.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mused over this some time ago and thought of a pretty simple, quite practical way to confuse cameras, but havent done it.
I figure if I ride sensibly I won't need it and any who don't
probably shouldn't have it anyway, so wont say.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I mused over this some time ago and thought of a pretty simple, quite practical way to confuse cameras

https://www.sdt.com.au/images/SPEEDT2.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I read something in the news in the last fortnight or so a biker got pulled with a flip up plate, was doing about 100 on a dual carriageway. Got something like 2 years inside

Don't know about anyone else, but I manage to notice the huge yellow boxes, lines on the road, multiple signs before hand etc etc.....

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:
Pretty sure I read something in the news in the last fortnight or so a biker got pulled with a flip up plate, was doing about 100 on a dual carriageway. Got something like 2 years inside

Don't know about anyone else, but I manage to notice the huge yellow boxes, lines on the road, multiple signs before hand etc etc.....

2 Years in jail is ridiculous for that. Had he admitted he was on his way to a smash and grab on a jewellery store, and had a valid reason to hide his number plate (to avoid detection) - he'd have got less time than that!

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
clancy wrote:

2 Years in jail is ridiculous for that. Had he admitted he was on his way to a smash and grab on a jewellery store, and had a valid reason to hide his number plate (to avoid detection) - he'd have got less time than that!

Is it though? Flip up plates isn't just avoiding being caught, it's going out of your way to fit something that allows you to break the law (and if you have a flip up plate, it won't be doing 35 in a 30, it's likely to be 130 in a 30 or something ridiculous).

They're cool as a gadget-y type thing but nothing more. If you fit one and get caught you deserve to be fisted for it.

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a travesty if you got convicted for Perverting for merely being in possession of a flippable plate without any evidence that you had actually used it, or were going to use it, in the commission of a crime.

I could fit a flippable plate tomorrow because I "think it's well cool, James Bond innit" and to impress the ladies - I might be misguided but I might not be attempting to pervert the course of justice at all.

But it's true. Get caught using it on the road and they will throw the book at you.

Strangely though, they don't convict burglars for perverting the course of justice because they don Gloves, or a Hoody or Mask while committing their crime... that is done for exactly the same reason as using a flippable numberplate; to hide your identity when committing a crime.

I guess they don't like to be too hard on real criminals.

sabian92
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fitted one then why would you not use it? Wink

You can see why the police don't like them. Use them or not they give you potential to hide your ID (especially with a lid on so they can't see your face)

Bunny Lingus
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:55 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central locking solenoid would flip a plate. Cheap as chips on ebay.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2