BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Downhill cycling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 21 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some trail centres are taking trail grading into their own hands then. I thought most parks/trail centres used this or something very similar to this:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/gbforestry2_zps996976bc.jpg

The exception being that the final red grading would be a double black diamond - similar to ski slope grades. If I saw a yellow/orange graded trail I'd assume it was between a blue and a red and would probably get a bit of a shock to find some advanced technical trail features and compulsory airs like on Air to Surface (I haven't ridden that trail but I have seen videos and would love to ride it).

With regards to the North Shore ladder stuff I see a lot of riders unnecessarily scaring themselves on it. I find the key is to look as far ahead as you normally would and keep your speed relatively high for the trail. The most crashes and falls I've seen on that stuff is when riders slow down too much and don't look past their front wheel. They get all wobbly, lose balance and then have nowhere to fall but off the ladder. That obviously goes out the window a bit when you're riding the really narrow "skinnies", see saws and really tight corners that you sometimes see on these ladder sections. Saying that, following my advice can lead to broken arms so take it with a pinch of salt Laughing

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 21 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If im going somewhere new i always search youtube for that trail so i have at least a little idea of whats coming. Having looked on youtube numerous times i can honestly say they look easy on youtube but are somewhat harder/steeper/bigger when you get there. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 23 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trail I was on was sheepskull. Forest of Dean seems to use a proprietary grading system.

Had surgery on Wednesday, plate with six screws. Hurts like fuck since being reset, but I've been able to move it about and hold stuff. Should be back to normal within a couple of weeks. Modern medicine is cool.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 11 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, just seen this from your other thread. Did quite a good job to break your upper arm, usually you'd hyperextend-dislocate the elbow and crack/shatter the bones that way.

Ste wrote:
Doh @ crashing but until it's been pinned you can use your flappy arm to scare/confuse people. Razz

I broke my funny bone crashing my bike when 13 or 14. Mr. Green

No you didn't.

Funny bone is a nerve, not a bone.

Medial epicondyle of the humerus is more likely what you broke, or the radial head of the ulna, or perhaps both.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a lot of stick from Silky, Doovy et al on facebook because I haven't been out on the blade in a while.

Downhilling is all about baby steps and getting your technique down and practicing where and when you can on gentle trails!

FOD is a cracking trail, but if you've never been downhilling before, I wouldn't go on ANY of the orange graded trails yet - Verderers is plenty fast for a noobie!

THIS is what happened when I did my first DH run at FOD - Corkscrew, on my Trek Fuel EX

I didn't recce the run - THAT resulted in 3 cracked ribs and a bruised back 3 weeks before I was due to fly to Bali!

But the Blue Verderers Dragon's Tail run is a nice beginners to DH. Not as gnarly, but the rythmn sections are pretty rapid

But I ended up getting a 29er Specialized Enduro with 160mm travel and headed out with the guys from Noah's bike shop in Stroud. They showed me some hidden gems near the back of my house that puts the FOD to shame! Plus, it's empty!

Cotswolds DH runs near Cranham - you can see the suspension travel nicely there. And you can see how far I hang off the back too!

If you want riding tips

IMB Bike Mag's youtube channel has got some useful videos on every element of riding

Search for any How To Vids with Fabien Barel too

But what I've learnt over the last 18 months of seriously getting into mountain biking, especially over technical stuff

Arrow Walk the trail first, or at least do a slow speed run
Arrow Drop your heels on descents - have a good idea what the attack position is - most how to vids will show you how.
Arrow Get your saddle out of the way and hang your hips over the rear wheel
Arrow Have your weight in line with the bottom bracket. The steeper the terrain, the further back you want to be, whilst still being in control
Arrow It may seem counter intuitive, but stay off the brakes! You'll get better grip and reduce the risk of washing out on a rock or root, moreso when wet
Arrow Ride with flats - Clipped in whilst downhilling = sprained ankle and 6 weeks being unable to train for toughmudder

Besides, everybody's banging on about Enduro now! Wink Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 297 days between these two posts...
dlinkered This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only a year and a bit late, reading the first post I could tell it wouldn't end well. If you want to do downhill trails and are a noob then you need a downhill bike, these cost £600 upwards second hand. The trails are doable on any bike but not if you're inexperienced. They also use 3 dot ratings for the DH tracks in the forest, 3 dots is hardest, 1 is easiest (they don't have any 1's). Other than that there are xc trails which would have been more appropriate.

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a super fancy borrowed dh bike, so I can't blame that, just me Razz

Tot, didn't see your reply last year, haha that tabletop I did literally exactly the same as you on my first (and only) run too. In retrospect I'm a bit annoyed that my friend who knew I had 0 experience took me the route he did, I may have lasted a bit longer if I had built it up slowly on some less steep more open trails, but oh well.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan wrote:
I may have lasted a bit longer if I had built it up slowly on some less steep more open trails, but oh well.

There aren't any less steep more open dh trails in the FOD, they are all really steep, tight and rooty. Some people even fuck up doing the XC blue rated trails and end up in hospital, wasn't very nice of him to let you go with no mtb experience.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:07 - 03 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Some people even fuck up doing the XC blue rated trails and end up in hospital, wasn't very nice of him to let you go with no mtb experience.

I found the blue (verderers) run is harder than the red one in many ways. I nearly came a cropper on a series of fast humps with a sudden fork on them towards the end of the route. A definate red grade feature.

I'd expect to be able to do a blue run on a reasonably robust road bike.

I don't particularly like either of those runs though. There's not much of a flow to them. The red in particular.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2