Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bought a lemon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Wonder if one of those watchdog programs would like to investigate Vincent Candelin's cowboy activities? I'm thinking of that little bald hard-nut looking geezer.
Dom littlewood Razz ?
https://images.betterworldbooks.com/075/Don-t-Get-Done-Get-Dom-Littlewood-Dominic-9780755319459.jpg

He's even a biker apparently, 'ard as nails https://londonbikers.com/news/9327/yamaha-helps-tv-presenter-dominic-littlewood-break-free

DieselASFC
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:28 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Wonder if one of those watchdog programs would like to investigate Vincent Candelin's cowboy activities? I'm thinking of that little bald hard-nut looking geezer.

I was genuinely going to do that. I was going to email into Don't me mad, get dom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

3. This thread was on the 1st page of google when searching for "Vince Candelin" or "vincan" within 5mins of it being posted.

It wasn't for bike onik - which it now is. Result?

Last edited by shereen on 19:57 - 05 May 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1GSF wrote:
Shereen, go polish your bald head and stop acting like a fucking retard.

Thks.

Erm who asked you to pipe up you scabby hippy? Fuck off back to your vegetables and perhaps have a fap over your tomatoes to release some of you pent up anger you clearly have. Rolling Eyes

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

shereen wrote:
I wasn't for bike onik - which it now is. Result?

Clearly you weren't for bike onik
shereen wrote:
bike-onyck
bike-onyck

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
shereen wrote:

shereen wrote:
bike-onyck
bike-onyck

I didn't say I resulted in it being on the first page. In fact it was OP that spammed bike onik. I just think it's good that it has ended up on the first page, regardless of how it got there...

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
shereen wrote:

shereen wrote:
bike-onyck
bike-onyck

shereen wrote:
I didn't say I resulted in it being on the first page. In fact it was OP that spammed bike onik. I just think it's good that it has ended up on the first page, regardless of how it got there...

https://i.imgur.com/gCoWdrK.gif
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least you did a bit of your own research and got your monies back without coming crying to BCF straight away.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 05 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Bought a lemon Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
DieselASFC wrote:
The credit card company, as expected, reject my claim as the receipt says sold as salvage. I point out that under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading regulations, he cannot mislead me about my statutory rights by writing anything on the receipt and that is illegal under the road traffic act to sell a vehicle that is not road worthy unless it is made clear and it is not used on the road. After some to-ing and fro-ing and a threat of the Financial Ombudsman, they gave me my money back and a little compensation.
!

To go to FOS (FCA now) costs the CC £750 win or lose.
So Let me take a stab in the dark and you got less that this.

A CC does not cover consumer protection laws. That is your legal right and you would have to do some leg work yourself and take him to small claims court.

The CC will not get anything back from the guy. Nor will they be able to stop hime for taking card payments.
Only Visa/mastercard can do this. Not something they do very often. And all he would need to do is go to another merchant bank and open a new account under a different name.

You have learnt something for the future here.
1. Research 1st....
2. Read the paperwork....
3. Buyer beware.

You should have spotted the speedo within yards.....

almost.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FSA), formerly the FSA are a regulator and set the rules.

The FOS are a complaints resolution services, a statutory alternative to court in which a decision made by an ombudsman is legally binding if the consumer accepts the ombudsman's decision. The FOS deal with complaints on an individual basis. They are funded in part by levies paid by the financial businesses regulated by the FCA as well as a 'case fee'. As of April this year it costs the business being complained about £550 win or lose after their 25th case during the financial year.

You can only file a formal complaint with the FOS after making/attempting an official complaint against the business first. The business have either 28 days or 2 months to respond (not sure which). If their reply is unsatisfactory or you don't receive one you can then file a formal complaint. The FOS can also help set up the initial complaint against the business. This maybe undesirable in the long run as the business may make an offer to settle the dispute even if they believe that they did nothing wrong as their offer can be less than the case fee they would get charged. I also think I read somewhere that the average settlement for an upheld complaint is less than £100, so it can make sense from a business point of view to simply give the customer a 'we're sorry letter, here's £100 for your troubles'. In the long run saves them £450.
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

DieselASFC
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:18 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bikeonic.com/

He's changed his trading name once again. Laughing

So avoid bike-onic like the plague. Surely he could've been more imaginative with the name change...?
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

His home page has a picture of someone committing an offence -

https://i.imgur.com/psY8yLw.png
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:43 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, by linking to his site from here, you'll drive it up the page ranking.

So, he's selling bikes out of his conservatory.

Again: does the Inland Revenue and his local rates board and council know that he's using that property for business purposes? Is he, for example, storing loads of bikes bikes full of fuel in a residential property?

If you actually care about Vinny keeping everything square and above board, less bawww here, more Google, phone, email.

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:01 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
You can contact Vince with the following details.

01204 883314

34 Royds Close
Tottington
Bury
BL8 3OD

vincan@hotmail.co.uk

Whistle

Only 4.1 miles away from me Shocked .... might see what he's got for sale... Thinking Thinking

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DieselASFC wrote:

Norton doesn't like this link. No sir.

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just_James wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
You can contact Vince with the following details.

01204 883314

34 Royds Close
Tottington
Bury
BL8 3OD

vincan@hotmail.co.uk

Whistle

Only 4.1 miles away from me Shocked .... might see what he's got for sale... Thinking Thinking

Actually, just realised the postcode isn't valid and route planner had defaulted to nearby area - it's only 3.5 miles away... and is on a route I take most days!

Postcode is BL8 3QD

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

And look what he's got up for sale... of all things Laughing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-HONDA-XL-125-Varadero-/271603078566?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f3cce15a6

Think I may arrange a viewing.... need an undercover cam Cool

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Just so you know, by linking to his site from here, you'll drive it up the page ranking.

So, he's selling bikes out of his conservatory.

Again: does the Inland Revenue and his local rates board and council know that he's using that property for business purposes? Is he, for example, storing loads of bikes bikes full of fuel in a residential property?

If you actually care about Vinny keeping everything square and above board, less bawww here, more Google, phone, email.

It's quite common around here for residential property to have been converted into retail property, there's a main Honda dealer the other side of Manchester that's similar so it may be that the premises is a business premises - looking at the pics of the place it'd be hard to miss the fact it's a bike dealers!

Might go have a shufty on Monday.

foxdie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:34 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys you can be sure it worked. Was thinking of buying a couple of 125's (housemate and myself) from them and found this thread as the second Google hit. Just had to sign up to say thanks for the warning.

DieselASFC
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:56 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the point of the thread, if I can stop just one person getting shafted by Vinny and riding home on a death trap, then jobs a good 'un. So is his van and shop still sign written with Bike Onik, or has he forked out to change it to Bike Onic?

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama-Farmer wrote:
Least you did a bit of your own research and got your monies back without coming crying to BCF straight away.

Whilst it is commendable, there's nowt wrong with asking for help if you don't know how to help yourself.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

davemanc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:48 - 22 Sep 2014    Post subject: I too was ripped off by Vincent Candelin Reply with quote

I too have just had an extremely negative and potentially life threatening experience with Vincent Candelin ‘currently’ trading under Bike-Onik - https://bikeonic.com/ at 588 Bury Road, Bolton, BL2 6JA.

I was well and truly suckered in, he seemed like an affable bloke, there was little or no pressure to buy and the shop seemed quite busy. People would just bob in for a brew and a chat and he came across as a really friendly and honest guy. Little did I know at the time how quickly this would change once this man has gotten his hands on my money.

I’m kicking myself now; I read a couple of bad reviews about Vincent Candelin and Bike-Onik on another bike forum but still decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wrote them off as just one or two disgruntled customers who’d had a bad experience. I allayed my concerns by telling myself that they had probably just been isolated incidents and that people only bother to post when there has been an issue. Whilst this is true and people do generally only give feedback after they have had a problem, when so many people are complaining en masse and the complaints and stories are so similar, following almost exactly the same pattern, something certainly isn’t right.

I misguidedly surmised that for him to be selling bikes at his current location for so long that he must have been doing something right. I naively assumed that if he’d been trading on Bury road for many years (as I was led to believe) and customers were still coming in and purchasing bikes from him the stories I had read must have been exaggerated or nothing more than isolated incidents. How little did I know? I so wish I had done a little more research and followed my initial gut instinct to stay well clear of Vincent Candelin and Bike-Onik.

After a more extensive search after the fact I now know from the many, many stories on numerous bike forums and blogs that this man is a notorious menace who has had a seriously negative impact on a great many number of peoples lives. It transpires that Vincent Candelin has not been trading as Bike-Onik or even as the same company in that location for as many years as I had been led to believe and he had in fact changed location and company name on multiple occasions; no doubt in an attempt to avoid swathes of bad publicity, disgruntled customers and small claims & County Court Judgments. In the past few years alone he has traded under a multitude of names including Bike-onyck, cando motorcycles, e-two motorcycles and e2 motorcycles to name just a few; all as separate companies and in many different locations in and around Bolton, Bury and Tottington. Bankruptcy has been filed on more than one occasion.

I bought a used 125cc motorbike for a little over £1600, I was given the usual ‘finest example I’ve seen in a long time’, ‘Absolutely tip top’ etc. and was happy enough with my new purchase. The day after the bike was delivered I decided to take it out for it’s first ride, less than 5 minutes in and I hit my first and what could have been my last problem.

Foolishly, still naively believing Vincent Candelin was the honest and upstanding person he’d led me to believe I called him rather than an independent mechanic. He came out the next day with his young mechanic to take a look at the bike and was nothing but apologetic. I was told that an after market part had been fitted and the bike had “Slipped through the net” and “Gone under the radar” and had not been properly tested. He explained that once the brake fluid had warmed up and expanded the effect was the same as the brakes being gradually applied until slamming on full and thus locking the front wheel. Unfortunately I was well aware of this effect first hand as I had ridden no more than 500 metres on the motorcycle the day previous when without the brake being applied or even covered and travelling up hill the front wheel locked completely and I was thrown off straight over the handle bars with the bike landing in the gutter and myself landing right in the middle of the other side of the road! Fortunately I live on a relatively quiet road but if I had collected the bike from Bike-Onik myself and this had happened on my way home on Bury road I would have been thrown clean into oncoming traffic and might not be here or in any fit state to share my story today.

My father also bought his first motorcycle from Vincent Candelin’s Bike-Onik at the same time as myself and true to form a dangerous fault with the bike was quickly identified. The rear tyre had apparently been run for an extended period whilst flat and had lost all integrity on the sidewalls. A problem that would have been instantly identified had the motorcycle been properly tested, serviced or MOT’d was fortunately eventually noticed by a colleague of my father on first inspection after he rode it to work for the first time. He was appalled and could not believe that a bike had been sold from an apparent dealer in such a dangerous condition. I dread to think what could have happened if it hadn’t been spotted, the tyre could have quite literally been ripped from the rim whilst he was cornering.

24 hours had passed after the repair and due to the dangerous nature of the fault on the bike, the accident it had caused, the research I had now done on Vincent Candelin & his trading practices as well as the seriously dangerous fault that had been discovered on my father’s motorcycle also bought from Bike-Onik I decided I was not willing to take the risk any further and would hold Mr. Candelin to his word and return the bike for a full refund.

Vincent Candelin’s affable friendly character was now gone, replaced by an unrecognizably defensive, dishonest and offensively rude person, intent on retaining my money whatever the cost. I was instantly reminded that the bike was sold as salvage regardless of his previous assurances and that it had been dropped and would now be unsellable. I protested stating the bike had only been dropped due to a dangerous fault on the bike that he himself had admitted to overlooking just 24 hours earlier. He instantly lied again and said the bike was dropped due to rider error and he adjusted the brake as a courtesy. He said whatever he “may or may not have said” about any apparent faults merely served to instill confidence in me as a rider and he was trying to do me favour (Cheers Vince), therefore the bike was indeed fine and it was “simply a case of tough luck”. He said he might see his way to take the bike back and swap it for something else but to do so would require a service charge of at least £150. I was informed that I was lucky that it was only £150 and it should be much more. Needless to say I refused the offer of another death trap.

Venomously Mr. Candelin even called into question my manhood when I told him that I no longer felt safe riding the motorcycle. If you are reading this Vince I just want you to know I do have the balls to ride a motorbike, just not one of your motorbikes. I have since gone out to a proper recommended dealer and have bought a safe and reliable bike.

Be aware if you buy a motorcycle as salvage you have little or no recourse. Hopefully you will save yourself the time, stress, hassle, money and possibly even safety and not get to the point of handing your hard earned money over to Vincent Candelin, but if you do when you inevitably ask as I did “Why does the receipt say sold as salvage?” prepare yourself for a slick and polished performance. You will be assured that that this is “Usual trading practice”, that “It is to cover me from a bad experience I had with a past customer who tried to take me to court”, You will be reassured “Don’t worry about that, if the bike isn’t right for you we can swap it for something else or even give you your money back, all I want is for you to be happy” These are lies. This is not usual trading practice; if you buy a motorcycle as salvage you have bought exactly that, salvage! This lie is just as incredulous as his promises to exchange the bike for something else or even give you your money back. After a struggle he may eventually agree to exchange the bike for something else, but do not expect to get the full amount you paid for it, expect to lose a fair chunk of your initial outlay as a ‘Service charge’ or due to ‘Wear and tear’ regardless of whether the reason for the exchange was due to a faulty motorcycle or not, and even then you are likely to be swapping one bad penny for another.

See you in court he said, taking smug comfort from the knowledge that I had neither proof of fault as I had foolishly allowed him to repair the issue himself and no legal recourse due to the bike being sold as salvage. Be under no illusions once you have handed over your money to Mr. Candelin you will not see it again without a lengthy and costly fight and given his propensity to claim bankruptcy and start over being legally in the right may be no guarantee you will ever see your money returned. This man is well practiced at keeping other peoples hard earned money, and you will not get it back without a fight, if ever.

It’s sad that the majority of Vincent Candelin’s stock appears to cater for the learner rider. I’m guessing as they are a little greener and easier to fool and are possibly least likely to have heard of his notorious reputation and borderline nefarious activities. It’s distressing that this kind of rider typically lacks the skills and experience to successfully maneuver and avoid the dangers that Vincent Candelin’s shoddy practices expose them too.

He may well say “If there is a problem bring it back, we are more than happy to fix it” that’s all very well if you are buying a tin opener but not if you are buying a motorbike, a machine that has the potential to harm not just yourself but those around you. That one problem may just be your last and cost you or someone else their life. But hey Vince is covered, his conscience is clear, after all he sold you the bike as salvage, you shouldn’t be riding it on the road anyway as far as he is concerned.

I seek neither pity nor sympathy and entirely blame myself. Given the stories I had seen online of peoples past experiences with this man and his motorcycles I should have run a mile. I should have also never handed over my hard earned cash for a motorcycle that was essentially sold as salvage, no matter how good the sales pitch. I’m telling you my story so hopefully I can save you from having to learn the hard way, saving you the money, stress and risk that dealing with this man invariably entails.

DO NOT BUY A BIKE FROM Vincent Candelin. Go to a dealer or someone recommended by a friend or colleague and ride safe in the knowledge that the motorcycle you are trusting with your life has been well maintained, serviced and is fit for purpose. Do not make the mistake that I did. Your life is worth too much to gamble on one of Vincent Candelin’s deathtraps just because he seems like a nice guy. He isn’t.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8