Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Too much choice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ipip
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Apr 2014    Post subject: Too much choice. Reply with quote

I'm not quite there yet, but having just passed Mod1 I'm starting to narrow down the new bike search. I expect there's a good chance that I'll buy more than one over the next couple of years until I figure out what kind of riding I'll mostly be doing. Right now, I'm looking at everything from naked to mid tourer. The primary aim is to avoid something that I'll get bored with in a month. I'm not a speed demon by any means, but I won't be ferrying Miss Daisy around either. I will hopefully convince the wife to at least go out for the day eventually; I don't think we'll be touring Europe any time soon. I'm not sure whether taking her out on the 125 beforehand is a good idea or not, but ultimately it will influence the final choice.

Unless I have 2 of course Very Happy

Ideally I'll get to test ride some, but the local multi-brand shop in Bristol doesn't allow test rides until you've had your license for a year apparently Evil or Very Mad

So, the short list so far:
Street Triple
F800ST/GT
ER6-F
MT-07
XJ6 Div/F
R6
Bonneville

Any others I should look at?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Too much choice. Reply with quote

Ipip wrote:

Ideally I'll get to test ride some


DEFINITELY get to test - impossible to know what you'll feel comfy on without doing so, and this makes it really important. Sitting on a bike is one thing.....

Quote:
So, the short list so far:
Street Triple
F800ST/GT
ER6-F
MT-07
XJ6 Div/F
R6
Bonneville

Any others I should look at?


a - that's not a particularly short list and b - if you take it as literally as that list comes across, probably another 50 bikes Laughing

Difficult when you don't really know what you're after, isn't it? I was looking for something 'different' to my CBR600 and tried a Shiver, a Falco, a Futura, a Speed Triple, and a GSX1400 before deciding on a Sprint 1050 which wasn't actually that different from what I already had, but it was all fun and games Laughing

Because your requirements aren't that specific - can you narrow it down more in terms of available budget, required reliability / practicality / economy, preferred maximum age of bike and how many miles you're likely to do, for example?

For example of the bikes you mention the street triple has quite noticeably shorter servicing intervals than some of the others in the pack. That may, or may not, be a factor.

Sounds like a heart purchase though Wink Enjoy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ipip
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 15 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know I've just about opened up the options to everything!

I guess my shopping list will be:

1. Relatively easy for a new, smallish rider to handle, but still put a grin on my face for a while.
2. Not too old/must be reliable. Not planning on buying new, but will if it gets me the right bike.
3. I'll be (short) commuting on it just to build up the miles/experience, but it's definitely a toy, not a tool.
4. Budget is not a limiting factor, but I don't want an eternal money pit.

I cycle a fair bit and the usual number of bikes is N+1, where N is how many you currently have. I can see this might be the same Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 15 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the local dealer is saying you can't test ride bikes until you've had your licence a year, make it clear to them that you won't be buying one without riding it first, and can they speak to their insurance to see if something can be worked out, or else you'll be going to another dealer who can.

Might do the trick, might not.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Re: Too much choice. Reply with quote

Ipip wrote:
I expect there's a good chance that I'll buy more than one over the next couple of years until I figure out what kind of riding I'll mostly be doing.

That's a realistic attitude. I've chopped and changed quite a bit searching for the ideal bike for me.

Ipip wrote:
Any others I should look at?

Eh, that "short" list is already so eclectic that we'd really just be shouting out random bikes.

That said... how about throwing an "adventure" bike into the mix? Leaving aside the Long Way Etc pretensions, they're decent general purpose bikes. Versys, V-Strom, NC700/750X, Tiger, I hear some people even rate BMWs.

What bike are you riding for your DAS training? What do you like and dislike about it?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that Bristol dealer won't budge on the test-ride thing, then I'd consider going to other dealers? I only had my license for 3 months and they didn't mind - but there was a £1000 excess (understandable really).

Just sit on a few, think about what you actually need, and look at MCN reviews etc so you get an idea of fuel consumption/insurance/BHP etc - they won't be dead accurate but will give you an idea. And like others have said, make you DAS training bike you point of reference - you might find that you hate flat bars and upright position, in which case you could narrow it down to the sport-derived bikes.
____________________
Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy an MT09 and forget about the others. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ipip
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

On paper (and YouTube!) I want the Street Triple. I love the sound, seating position feels ok and the weight doesn't look too intimidating. But, then I started to do some net searching and found lots of posts saying it's not a good first big bike and instant death is probably certain!

Since then, being the internet, I've found an equal number of opposite opinions Very Happy so, it's back near the top of my list based on buy what you really want now.

I've used 2 bikes for training so far, a Fazer 600 and SV650. I prefer the SV (not just because I passed the Mod1 on it) as I find it easier to control at low revs and the lower weight makes it feel more agile. To be fair, at normal speeds both bikes were fine and the bit of fairing on the fazer was welcome at dual carriageway speeds.

I had a quick look at adventure bikes, but found most of them felt unwieldy for a short arse like me. I know static tests aren't a good measure, but there wasn't enough enticing me to look closer.

Thankfully, I'm in no rush and will pootle around on the 125 until I get some test rides and if that means traveling a bit further for a decent dealer who will let me then so be it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipip wrote:
I had a quick look at adventure bikes, but found most of them felt unwieldy for a short arse like me.

That put me and my 29" (on a good day) inseam off for a while, but the F650/700GS has a low seat height, the tank is under the seat, and it's an absolute doddle to handle.

Mind you, if you like the riding position on the SV then you may be a supersports man. R6 it! Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you're going the direct access route some of those won't be restrictable otherwise I think Razz Best bet to start off with is get a sit on as many of them as you can, at least then you will get an idea how comfortable they are size/weight/position wise, although that can be quite different once you've been sat on it riding for a few hours keep in mind.

You have quite a varied list there, as a new rider and someone whos not majorly into the speed for example the R6 might be a little intense, or on the other hand you may be a bit overwhelmed by it and just potter around at low revs on it, which will be the opposite and feel a bit lifeless [did this with my ZX6 at first, although I eventually got more confident on it and don't regret buying it in the slightest now]. If you're thinking of more long distance riding/commuting/touring something a bit more upright and capable of luggage might be more in order for example.

I'd have a look at insurance quotes across the range of bikes too, as a new rider some might hit your pocket a fair bit more. May not be significant if you have a sizeable budget but it will likely make a fair bit of difference particularly in the first year or twos ownership.

Also - if this dealers happens to be Fowlers I personally wouldn't buy from them. They usually overprice everything quite badly and from personal and a few other peoples experiences are a bit shoddy with their customer service at times. I've had a bike returned to me scratched, parts misordered and friends have had problems claiming on warranty issues. May well be lots of happy customers as someones keeping them in business Laughing but can only go from my own experience with them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stuey2407
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipip wrote:
On paper (and YouTube!) I want the Street Triple. I love the sound, seating position feels ok and the weight doesn't look too intimidating. But, then I started to do some net searching and found lots of posts saying it's not a good first big bike and instant death is probably certain!


I only passed my test in Jan of this year and bought a Street Triple almost straight away after falling in love with the styling although like you did read a lot of conflicting opinions on whether it is a good first bike (but decided to ignore them Very Happy ). I learnt on an XJ6 and there is a huge difference between the two. The ST feels higher and much more responsive.

I did test ride the ST before buying and have to admit that I didn't try any others. Most importantly I don't regret my decision one bit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ipip wrote:
I had a quick look at adventure bikes, but found most of them felt unwieldy for a short arse like me.

That put me and my 29" (on a good day) inseam off for a while, but the F650/700GS has a low seat height


The F1200 and the F800 are also quite low. I've tried a LOT of adventure style bikes since being crunched up on a sports style bike is a no go for me 'nowadays'. Finding the Versys (narrow but tall and upright) was perfect for me. But then I've ridden the sportier style for oodles of years before I came to this stage. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

aidy_b
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test in January and considered many of the same bikes, with the Honda Hornet thrown in as well.
Then I broke my leg 2 days after passing and am still waiting to get out and go on some test rides Crying or Very sad

I don't think it is that important for a first bike - I just want to get some miles under my belt and see what I like/dislike in a bike. Still fancy the Street Triple though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

karidian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st "big" bike was an er6f. I can recommend them to new riders. Sporty styling, v-twin excellent for commuting and out for a blast. Quite light weight and if i remember right a fairly low seating position.
Each to their own and as has been said try for a test ride first. Best of luck in your choice.
____________________
G reg Honda CB1 400; 06 Kawasaki ER6F abs, X reg Bandit 600sy. 1998 Cb600f Hornet. 08 zx6r current.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:04 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

karidian wrote:
er6f [...] v-twin

Eh?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 17 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
karidian wrote:
er6f [...] v-twin

Eh?


Just what is the correct denotation of a parallel twin? Is it a P-Twin, or an IL2? Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

karidian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 18 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad - wasnt really concentrating while typing. still a twin. Sorry Roger Wink . The rest of my statement still stands.
____________________
G reg Honda CB1 400; 06 Kawasaki ER6F abs, X reg Bandit 600sy. 1998 Cb600f Hornet. 08 zx6r current.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ipip
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've sat on them all, done some tank stroking and generally pontificated about this and that and narrowed it down to a top 2. If I go naked it's got to be the Street Triple, if not then an ER-6F. The local Kwak dealer is happy to let me test ride so I just need to see if I can get a ride on the ST at Cheltenham or Swindon as Fowlers in Bristol won't let me.

Just need to pass the Mod2 now Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 19 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did basically the same as you, except I did get to ride a few bikes before I bought mine which I though was most important.
You really cant tell a bikes characteristics just by sitting on it.
See if you can get a test ride on a new Hornet, I found it very easy to ride around an unfamiliar area and didn't have to concentrate on controlling the bike at all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ipip
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple it is Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Pirate
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 03 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just done my CBT.Have you had a sit on the ER6-N, feels good for a short arse like me.Can then move on to a Street Triple or a Bonny.NP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DottyDuck
Nearly there...



Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:07 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Pirate wrote:
Ive just done my CBT.Have you had a sit on the ER6-N, feels good for a short arse like me.Can then move on to a Street Triple or a Bonny.NP


I take it you never seen the OP's recent post? Laughing
____________________
CBT- 2012 Theory- 18/12/13 Mod 1- 07/01/14 Mod 2- 15/01/14 Very Happy
Old Bike: Zontes Panther 125cc - wrote off Sad Current Bike: Kawasaki ZR7 Very Happy Wub
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Pirate
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but Ive looked back along all the posts and can not find a ops post.!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ipip
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:45 - 04 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Pirate wrote:
Sorry but Ive looked back along all the posts and can not find a ops post.!

3 posts above, decided to go with the Triumph. When Kawasaki called me to say they'd sold the demonstrator, impatience got the better of me. Besides, we all really knew it was going to be the Triple in the end Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 135.45 Kb