BCF: Bike Chat Forums

honda cb400n

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:20 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: honda cb400n Reply with quote

Hi all im just wondering about the Honda cb400n and its power output. Im considering this bike as my dad had the 250 being as underwelming as it was for me as a kid it was better then anything and i love the old shape. Ive looked around and one website said 26bhp while others have said 43 roughly. Which is correct and also if there would be any good or must upgades for this bike what would you do i would consider braided brake lines as ive heard the brakes can be iffy thanks for any help.

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears Honda came out with two versions of it and here's info Bikez website about it;

Honda CB 400 N

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_400_n_1981.php

Honda CB 400 N (reduced effect)

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_400_n_reduced_effect_1981.php

Andy1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:44 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
It appears Honda came out with two versions of it and here's info Bikez website about it;

Honda CB 400 N

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_400_n_1981.php

Honda CB 400 N (reduced effect)

https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_400_n_reduced_effect_1981.php
cheers also how would know if its the 47bhp or 27 one when i go to look at one

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:51 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

27hp sounds rather like an old German insurance power level. So probably not an issue in the UK.

UK ones were 43hp I think.

All the best

Keith

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 11 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears 47 & 27 HP was produced for the German market while everyone else seems to have got 47 HP instead, if you look at CMNSL website for parts they only list the smaller one for Germany!

It appears the carbs set have different part numbers including the Camshaft, and I've read else where someone mentioning that too.

I wish Honda gave an extra designation rather than just CB 400 N, as they could have added a letter (r) after it to know what you're buying rather than just look at the Carbs serial no. marked on it for the difference?

Andy1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 02:59 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
It appears 47 & 27 HP was produced for the German market while everyone else seems to have got 47 HP instead, if you look at CMNSL website for parts they only list the smaller one for Germany!

It appears the carbs set have different part numbers including the Camshaft, and I've read else where someone mentioning that too.

I wish Honda gave an extra designation rather than just CB 400 N, as they could have added a letter (r) after it to know what you're buying rather than just look at the Carbs serial no. marked on it for the difference?
ah i see ok cheers for the help lads so if im really undersure i can just check the carbs. But from youve told me i shouldnt bump into the german made one. Once again thanks guys im also looking to do maybe change a few parts if its worth it like the exhaust and air filter would it be worth it or not really i do want to change the echaust note to a throatier one if there is a way any ideas?

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can do with a CB 400 when heavily customised looks really good indeed!

https://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/08/11/1983-honda-cb400-jasin-motorcycles.html#.U3CciRfQfIU

https://domain.com.s180574.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/11_06_2013_jasin_honda_CB400_02_1.jpg

From what I found out via a number of forums one did mention if you change from stock exhaust system with no collector box then you may lose some power at the lower end, but you may also have to return the carbs a bit to remove that problem too as the carbs were setup for the original exhaust system.

Here is a video of person that has replaced theirs for a straight 2:2 setup, but those darn Aussies & Americans sell ones with removable baffles because they do like to make their bikes sound even louder that is why Harleys are so darn freakin' loud going past you. I've comes across someone that had done that for their Harley and the side of the single decker bus actually shook with sound waves hitting it! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbcs_iODV4

Andy1994
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:38 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
What you can do with a CB 400 when heavily customised looks really good indeed!

https://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/08/11/1983-honda-cb400-jasin-motorcycles.html#.U3CciRfQfIU

https://domain.com.s180574.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/11_06_2013_jasin_honda_CB400_02_1.jpg

From what I found out via a number of forums one did mention if you change from stock exhaust system with no collector box then you may lose some power at the lower end, but you may also have to return the carbs a bit to remove that problem too as the carbs were setup for the original exhaust system.

Here is a video of person that has replaced theirs for a straight 2:2 setup, but those darn Aussies & Americans sell ones with removable baffles because they do like to make their bikes sound even louder that is why Harleys are so darn freakin' loud going past you. I've comes across someone that had done that for their Harley and the side of the single decker bus actually shook with sound waves hitting it! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbcs_iODV4
nice i was thinking making a cafe racer cross commuter from it kinda of like that one keep the handle bars in a nice position but have that classic look to it. cheers for thw picturw has givem me some ideas but quick question would the value increase or decrease if i change it or is it better to keep it original i want to change it to gie it my own touch and im not to bothered that i put money but wont get it back just want to know about value.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:30 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy1994 wrote:
but quick question would the value increase or decrease if i change it or is it better to keep it original i want to change it to gie it my own touch and im not to bothered that i put money but wont get it back just want to know about value.

If you start with a wreck it will probably increase the value (but probably not by as much as you would have to spend on it). If you start with a clean standard one then you would probably destroy the value.

Also consider the CB450DX. Basically a 400 Superdream with slightly 'updated' styling and a bit bigger engine. But slightly worse build quality (not that I would say the 400 has great build quality).

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:50 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:

Don't do anything like the above. That bike is made of fail.

1) No airbox. Superdreams like to have an airbox.
2) No front mudguard. No front fork brace.
3) No rear mudguard so all the road crap will be flung into the pod filters.
4) Ludicrously wide tyres so it will handle badly.
5) Painted brown. Who the fuck wants a brown motorcycle?

What you have there is someone who has taken a CB400 and fucked it. It will both run and handle like a bagowank and you can't take it out in the wet. As far as I'm concerned it's worth what you could get for the unmolested parts on ebay and no more.

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 12 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes built that way are good if you live in excellent mostly dry climate where you don't have to worry about ground water being sprayed up on you from the front & rear while riding through the wet, and its known as a Café Racer so they are basically concept bikes customised like mad to look completely different from usual.

Some people want their bikes to stand out and to be on show !

From Wikipedia definition of Café Racer

The café racer is a light and lightly powered motorcycle that has been modified for speed and handling rather than comfort. The bodywork and control layout of a café racer typically mimicked the style of a contemporary Grand Prix roadracer, featuring an elongated fuel tank, often with dents to allow the rider's knees to grip the tank, low slung racing handlebars, and a single-person, elongated, humped seat.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:20 - 13 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
Bikes built that way are good if you live in excellent mostly dry climate where you don't have to worry about ground water being sprayed up on you from the front & rear while riding through the wet, and its known as a Café Racer so they are basically concept bikes customised like mad to look completely different from usual.

Some people want their bikes to stand out and to be on show !

From Wikipedia definition of Café Racer

The café racer is a light and lightly powered motorcycle that has been modified for speed and handling rather than comfort. The bodywork and control layout of a café racer typically mimicked the style of a contemporary Grand Prix roadracer, featuring an elongated fuel tank, often with dents to allow the rider's knees to grip the tank, low slung racing handlebars, and a single-person, elongated, humped seat.

Agreed. As you just proved, THAT is NOT a cafe racer. I know a cafe racer when I see one.

Starting out. A cafe serves sweet, milky tea from a giant teapot and bacon rolls, NOT skinny lates and a biscuit.

A cafe racer has the following features:

Mudguards, because it is a British invention. They may be cropped down but they are present because it rains frequently in Britian.

A tuned engine ( so it goes faster than a standard one, not slower).

A chassis/tyre combination designed to produce optimum handling.

Clipped/cropped handlebars for aerodynamics (and no other reason).

A single seat WITH rearsets. Because nobody (other than dickheads and hipsters) wants to look like the kandoo frog whille riding their bike.

A lightweight tank (not a hammered-out standard tank).

A cafe racer is NEVER brown. Only dickheads and hipsters own brown motorcycles. Racing hondas are red and silver.
That bike is a perfect example of a fucked CB400. It is utterly worthless both in terms of monetary value and rideability. These are the only terms that count because when you're riding it, you can't see it.

I can't post a proper picture of a CB400 twin Cafe racer because nobody ever made one on account of CB400s being a totally bog-basic commuter bike and as such are utterly unsuitable for such a task. If you want to cafe racer >250cc aircooled honda twin, do a black bomber.

However, here is a 1960's CB350 racer, which is a proper racing motorcycle and worthy of both praise and interest.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3354/3449398613_a8a1386eeb_o.jpg

*Edited to remove impolite drunken effing and blinding.*
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1