Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can I use a KTM 125 sx on the road?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:07 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Can I use a KTM 125 sx on the road? Reply with quote

I'm going to do my CBT next year and I was wondering if I can use a KTM 125 sx on the road. I know I have to add a horn etc. but I just want to know if my CBT licence allows me to use a KTM 125 sx on the road.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope to powerful and too light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's restricted to 14.6bhp and has L plates on then yes, you can ride a KTM 125 SX on a CBT.

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:20 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks. I'll ask around a bit more since one of you said no.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:22 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
If it's restricted to 14.6bhp and has L plates on then yes, you can ride a KTM 125 SX on a CBT.

It will run like utter fucking turd at 14.6bhp.

TBH it is a terrible idea, if you want a legal bike you want to use regularly. Too high maintenance for the road and to legally ride it it would need restricting. Also it won't take long for it to be nicked if it is ever left outside.

However if you want an almost legal (i.e. unrestricted) fun bike that will be used sparingly and kept in a garage then it might be worth a punt. Note if you get stopped by a copper that knows bikes or just one that has the inclination to check the power you will end up with 6 points.

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:25 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ktm 125 exc any better for the road? Or will I have the same
Issues as I would with the sx?

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:29 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

payney1998 wrote:
Is the ktm 125 exc any better for the road? Or will I have the same
Issues as I would with the sx?

The answer to both those questions is yes.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Az wrote:

If he was to restrict it. Realisitcly, what 17 year old with a KTM SX 125 is going to restrict it?

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:30 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
chris-red wrote:

If he was to restrict it. Realisitcly, what 17 year old with a KTM SX 125 is going to restrict it?

The rest of my post covers that.

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:39 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer off road bikes so what is the best off road bike to put on the road or what off road type of bike is already road legal I can get?

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia MX 125 Pretty rare though
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:57 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked at the KTM 125 duke and the Yamaha wr125x. Any of you know if any of these are any good? They are both built road legally so I'm alright there.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

payney1998 wrote:
I've just looked at the KTM 125 duke and the Yamaha wr125x. Any of you know if any of these are any good? They are both built road legally so I'm alright there.

A friend has a Duke 125, its had a lot of electrical problems and needed it's alternator replaced when the bike was only two years old. It's actually up for sale if you're interested lol.

WR125X's are alright, It feels super light and nimble when riding and looks good for a 125, it's also a reasonable size but it's way too overpriced.

Have you considered a DT125 and not restricting it. Yes it's illegal but the chances of you getting caught are very very slim.

If you're going to go for a restricted 2 stroke 125 or a 4 stroke 125 then just get any old run around (YBR/CG) until you can get a bigger bike.

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:10 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the DT125. And I know where your coming from with the wr125x and the price. Also if I was going to get a crosser and not restrict it I'd rather get a good bike like a KTM. But I'm gonna look around still, thanks.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both dull and over-expensive. But follow the rules. Both make 14.6bhp and are MUCH better suited for use on the road.

My mate used to commute on a 2013 EXC125, was actually very reliable, more so than his RS125, and they both got treated the same.

However, he got caught for wheelying it past a police car. They then seized the bike and dynoed it at 36BHP, so he was riding without insurance, on a 33bhp restricted licence, without a licence technically, and could have got majorly screwed over. Luckily, he got a big fine and lost his licence, but when he gets it back, insurance will be a fortune now for the next 5 years, I think.

Is the fun of riding round on a toy like that worth risk of police trouble, cost of servicing and thief magnet?

But if you live out in the sticks and it only comes out to play on Sundays, because you have a cg 125 to see you through the rest of the week, might be worth it? Actually thinking about, no it's not, I would just wait to do your A2 licence and get one then.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:22 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll probably get a decent bike until I can do my A2 licence.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but the only decent 125's are two stroke, and if they are to be legal to ride, the performance is no different to the four strokes, in fact, worse because they won't have the torque.

But if you aren't fussed about whether you are legal or not, that opens up a bigger range, personally I like DT125's. My mate has one with a different front end and about 27BHP, that thing is a lot of fun, now it has some decent-ish suspension and power. But if he gets stopped by the police and they decide to test the bike, he could get into a lot of trouble. It's rare but it does happen.

If I were to go again, I'd be severely tempted with a husky wre125. Do you plan on using it off-tarmac?
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:44 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only being using it on the road. Possibly off road for fun maybe but that probably won't happen. I won't exactly be using it loads, only for going to my apprenteship and college, and that is only about 2 mile away. So it's not exactly going to be doing a lot of miles.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

payney1998 wrote:
I will only being using it on the road. Possibly off road for fun maybe but that probably won't happen. I won't exactly be using it loads, only for going to my apprenteship and college, and that is only about 2 mile away. So it's not exactly going to be doing a lot of miles.

You say you won't use it loads, but you'll get the itch, we all get the itch. And you'll find yourself in Shrewsbury, when your mum sent you round the corner to get milk, specifically because she knew you were looking for an excuse to go for a ride, then when you get back to Leamington, after 200 miles, you forget the milk. Laughing

A two stroke is fun, but not sure whether they make good commuters, although the Bantam 175 was a daily commuter in its time, and the old MZ's are as reliable as a stone. Your idea of a KTM as commuter is daft, you would need to pre-mix every-time you needed to fill up, rebuild the engine every 60 hours of use and commuting two miles will damage the engine, a two stroke needs to be thoroughly warm before a good thrashing and no way would a 17 year old not thrash the bike especially if they were only on it for 2 miles.

Enduro bikes tend not to have cush drives, so you'll be eating rear wheel bearings all the time on the road and then eventually damage the gearbox. They are designed so that as you accelerate in the mud, the shock is absorbed by the mud, however they get grip on tarmac so the shock of accelerating is not absorbed by anything. My TTR250 is a good example, my hard acceleration in second on the road, wheelies, has made it clunky and difficult to get now, and she's about 25BHP after my mods, on a good day. So a full-blown competition machine will damage itself quicker.

But if you insist on an offroad style machine, I still stand by the Husqvarna wre125, or the SM125 version, I think it's SMS125. I rode a priller MX125, and was thoroughly disappointed, because it shares the RS125 engine and I expected great things from that engine in a supermoto, but it seemed very bland.

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SX and EXC KTMs tend not to have ignitions, I.e. you walk up to it kick it over and it starts. If you leave it anywhere other than a garage it will be nicked.

payney1998
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:07 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
payney1998 wrote:

You say you won't use it loads, but you'll get the itch, we all get the itch. And you'll find yourself in Shrewsbury, when your mum sent you round the corner to get milk, specifically because she knew you were looking for an excuse to go for a ride, then when you get back to Leamington, after 200 miles, you forget the milk. Laughing

A two stroke is fun, but not sure whether they make good commuters, although the Bantam 175 was a daily commuter in its time, and the old MZ's are as reliable as a stone. Your idea of a KTM as commuter is daft, you would need to pre-mix every-time you needed to fill up, rebuild the engine every 60 hours of use and commuting two miles will damage the engine, a two stroke needs to be thoroughly warm before a good thrashing and no way would a 17 year old not thrash the bike especially if they were only on it for 2 miles.

Enduro bikes tend not to have cush drives, so you'll be eating rear wheel bearings all the time on the road and then eventually damage the gearbox. They are designed so that as you accelerate in the mud, the shock is absorbed by the mud, however they get grip on tarmac so the shock of accelerating is not absorbed by anything. My TTR250 is a good example, my hard acceleration in second on the road, wheelies, has made it clunky and difficult to get now, and she's about 25BHP after my mods, on a good day. So a full-blown competition machine will damage itself quicker.

But if you insist on an offroad style machine, I still stand by the Husqvarna wre125, or the SM125 version, I think it's SMS125. I rode a priller MX125, and was thoroughly disappointed, because it shares the RS125 engine and I expected great things from that engine in a supermoto, but it seemed very bland.

Really appreciate the advise. I know the wr125x is expensive but I think I might go with that option. I know it's not the quickest but for what I'm using it for its good. It's also easier to handle engine wise, no engine rebuild and no mixing oil and stuff.

One more thing, with your A1 licence can you drive something bigger then a 125 or is it still only a 125 but you can have more power?

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

payney1998 wrote:

One more thing, with your A1 licence can you drive something bigger then a 125 or is it still only a 125 but you can have more power?

Nope still limited a <125 and to the power to weight ratio and BHP as a cbt

Think of it as a permanent CBT with use of motorways and pillions
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:53 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to ride (obviously) otherwise than in accordance with your license, why even bother waiting until you've got your CBT and (I assumed) turned 17? Or limiting yourself to a 125?

Get a Fireblade, you girl.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:31 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:

Quote:
Dry weight: 90.8 kg

To be legal on L's /A1 would actually have to be under-restricted to about 9kw/12bhp to meet the max power to weight limit.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:49 - 09 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ride one on a CBT you'll be riding illegally - like all the people who do 31mph ina 30 limit are breaking the rules too.

However, from what you describe, I don't think it would be a good choice.

They are a reasonably serious competition bike designed to win motorcross races. As Tef very concisely ( ! Smile ) pointed out adding to chris-red's, point - not only are they incredibly nickable as most are used off-road, but you can literally pick one up and walk away with it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2