BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can I use a KTM 125 sx on the road?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

santiagovari
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:11 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Mx bike Reply with quote

What mx bike would be best to commute from and to school and to go around a city.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Mx bike Reply with quote

santiagovari wrote:
What mx bike would be best to commute from and to school and to go around a city.

A scooter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:21 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Mx bike Reply with quote

santiagovari wrote:

A BeeMX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking it that the above post is possibly by an Italian kid in the UK, or even living in Italy?

If in the UK they won't be used to the same choice of bikes or the way we do things with learner laws etc and CBT>A1>A2 etc.

Im not sure if still the case but you used to be able to have a 125 in Italy at age 16. Most kids that don't walk or use public transport to get to school all ride bikes or scooters and probably about 15% of them remain std.

There's some quite nice reasonable and sensible economical 125's used by such Italian kids and it's just about mandatory that they start at around 35bhp. Wink

I fucking missed out massively in teenage life and all the best things about it by not growing up in Italy. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:53 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy is part of EU, they have the same (notional) licence laws we do vis AM - 50cc, A1 - 125, A2 - 45bhp and A3 unrestricted licences; but they dont have the UK L-Plate rules.

In days of yore, it was rather different, and the licencing as I understood it.... if any-one ever did, when it comes to Italian regulation... was that it was mostly down to the tax paid, rather than riding qualification, and sliding scale ramped with cc, so 125's were kept reasonable, 350's were the cheap way to work, 500's were at a premium rate, and anything bigger was essentially unobtainable, especially if imported, when you had to add the protectionist import duties, which lead Honda to set up shop in Italy to make the NS125.

Imposition of EE rulings from the late 90's on, annoyed Italians on the one hand, making them take more realistic driving tests, but on the other, letting them buy 600 Super-Sports and the like.

But still... the best MX to get to and from school and around the city is a B-MX.... still no regulation applied!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:29 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Mx bike Reply with quote

I have a KTM125SX converted to 144XC spec which I have used on the road.

It's an absolutely terrible choice for getting around day to day.

Get a bike designed for the purpose to get around and keep the competition bike for fun.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:24 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Mx bike Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
santiagovari wrote:

A BeeMX

I think i've found Tef's best ever post

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to know exactly the local laws, local interpretation of them, and how strict law enforcement is?
I did think though that EU licensing is obviously one fits all European countries.

They used to until the late 90's if not later be able to ride 50cc at age 14, and 125cc at 16. You see loads of kids still going to school on 125's, twist& go's and traditional Vespa's though. What age do Italian kids go to school until, 16? 18?

Some of my favourite you tube videos are very recent and there's plenty of supermoto converted Honda CR's, KX's, and KTM/Husqvarna TE125's being used for both commuting and fun in the mountains/coastal roads.

Id like to think I'd partake in the madness if I was there.
Its also why a near 40yr old idiot has spent over £1200 this year in shiny bits or go faster stuff for an old KMX 125. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2