Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

quads on road?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

RaVeR_mt50
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:37 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: quads on road? Reply with quote

ok im thinking sometime to get a on road quad has any had experience in this im thinking of getting a raptor 660 can you ride a road legal quad on a car licence? Confused

zzr_peak
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea, phone the dsa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a full bike license afaik. Quads have recently become popular and somehow people are making them road legal. However I wouldn't buy one for the road!

They are MUCH more dangerous than a bike, what happens if you fall (or a cager knocks you) off? where do you fall?

Into the back wheels! Shocked

Sounds like a recipie for disaster to me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to supermoto racing yesterday and they done a series of quad bikes, absolutely mental things, was speaking to someone about them and he said they are completely dangerous on the roads, albeit legal.

They get round most corners by sliding etc so you'd have to be pretty good to ride one safely on the roads in the first place, and as Mark says... if/when you have an accident, it could be quite nasty! No where to fall really other than into the quad, unless your knocked clear of it Laughing

Bad idea, get one for off road..

And I'd strongly suggest you get the idea of a 660 raptor out of your head unless your experienced with them. They ain't no toys! Twisted Evil

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 16:55 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's him told Yams - are you a teacher by any chance? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RaVeR_mt50
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:56 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok maybe not a 660 but somthing like a 250-350 Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:00 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaVeR_mt50 wrote:
ok maybe not a 660 but somthing like a 250-350 Very Happy

Have a look at www.tonymoto.co.uk I think it's them that do road legal versions, they are around 300 cc I think and are more suited to road use. I "think" it's tony moto anyway, if not get a copy of Biketrader as they have a section for off roaders and quads.

A 300cc quad is one hell of a lot different to a 660 raptor.

Think of it this way..

300cc quad = 600cc sports bike, R6 or something

660 raptor = BSB 996 or something Laughing

Okay maybe not quite so dramatic Wink but the 660 is a competition bike Smile

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 17:00 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a quad on the road! Are they not quite difficult to corner, do you not have to hang right off them.

Just seems an odd vehicle to have on the road, the venerability of a motorbike with the maneuverability of a car! Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At stormin the Castle custom bike show last year, someone entered a 1200 bandit (IIRC) quad bike conversion. I believe it had no differential on the rear axle either. Quite some machine but must be deadly on the road. Neutral

you can buy road legal quads at https://www.f2motorcycles.co.uk but they are more designed for farmers.
Superabusa This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly wrecked into a quad a few days ago, was probably doing about 45 mph myself around some country lanes (really enjoying the bike, put it that way) and around the corner came this this mental quad with the wheels spinning and back end slightly out doing about the same the other way. Scared the crap out of me, quad rider seemed rather calm, he even nodded at me as he sped past, and he looked about 12!

To be honest I quite fancy a quad for the road, especially around here, it would a lot of fun. Seem to be quite a few quads used by farmers in the local area, and they are all crazy! Twisted Evil

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently come back from Crete in Greece and there were hundereds over there. Some tourist actually hired them to ride around the roads rather than a mo-ped or an insanly cool Yamaha XT (sorry had to through it in there). Personnally I think they were a bit slow for the roads, and anyone riding one would either have to be a stunt man or suicidal - especially on the Greek roads Smile

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 19 Jul 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This buggy looks fun, but it should have double the engine size atleast. Could be great fun around the corners and safer thanks to the cage but that engine's far too small.
It's on this website.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 19 days between these two posts...

w00p
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:10 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine has a raptor, not sure wich cyl capacity, but I think its the 400 that gets sold road legal, could well be a 660 though.
He's had it for less than 4 months and he's looking to sell it!
He's trying to sell it for 6k € since he's bought it for 8k but thats an optimistic price.
The guy lost 2k (and its prolly gonna be more) to ride a quad for 4 months and be dissapointed by its high power, sketchy cornering and extremely low practicality.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:27 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought a road legal buggy would be a better option. Saw one at a show the other day, two bike engines fitted - sadly I wasn't in a position to get the spec or more details. Looked custum built but I do know www.moto-roma.co.uk do off the shelf ones - see here - however, needs car licence. Info on their road legal quads is here.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They done a special offroad episode of Topgear recently, they were showing off all sorts of offroad goodies! One of which was a buggy (like the one above) Fitted with one of the quadcarb Honda CBR950RR engines! Dont think they were road legal at all, but hell, they looked fun! I wouldent ride a quadbike on the road, they are acctually less noticable than a bike, and in my oppinion, more dangerous. I think one of the presenters mentioned a "Q cart" which was a more kind of (what looked like a smart car spliced with a quad), it might be worth looking into!

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 09:52 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a full car licence to ride a quad on the roads.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1